Newberg says a $40 elk tag (or whatever it cost) is a $25,000 elk tag for residents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sneaky

"DADDY"
A bit disingenuous since you don't mention where you are from. There are plenty of neighborhoods in Bozeman where 1,250 sf new construction will set you back 1.7-1.8M. I just finished a house that sold for over 6M. Big deal. Old craftsman's, etc., within walking of downtown routinely sell for over 1.5-2M on postage stamp lots.

Aside, Bozeman costs just adjusted - the current median price is $820,000.
Less than ten years ago it was $240k. Craziness

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Rokbar

WKR
NR pay higher rates for licenses in every single state. It's literally the only thing that NR pay more for in any western state. There's not a resident price and nonresident price on the gas pumps, hotels, restaurants, etc. Only on hunting and fishing licenses. I know that every single time I hunt out of state it's going to be expensive, part of the game. I certainly don't start whining about prices of tags for high demand low supply game tags. When prices for those get too high, I don't go. It's pretty simple.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
In NC, they charge more for NR’s. They sort of charge per what other states cherge NC residents. We have elk, but there will never be viable elk season in NC!

Rich M

WKR
Just spent an hour with Newberg. Seeing what he's doing with the CRWM guys on the Colorado hunting ban as well as some other projects, it clear he's a lot more relevant than most on here.
Good deal. He’s got some connections for sure. Lotsa followers too.

He did some stuff on video and lost me years back. Gotta be a lot of pressure to make movies and keep them interesting.

NR pay higher rates for licenses in every single state. It's literally the only thing that NR pay more for in any western state. There's not a resident price and nonresident price on the gas pumps, hotels, restaurants, etc. Only on hunting and fishing licenses. I know that every single time I hunt out of state it's going to be expensive, part of the game. I certainly don't start whining about prices of tags for high demand low supply game tags. When prices for those get too high, I don't go. It's pretty simple.
Just talking about a subject isn’t whining.

Even if you don’t discuss it, you don’t go anymore because of the expense, which is arguably worse. When it eventually turns into an activity strictly for the wealthy it loses a ton of blue collar support and gains even more opposition. See Safari hunting and high fence, nobody cares if the ranch owner kills one for free, the price a visitor pays is what hits the headlines. But if you cut out visitors altogether then you lose them as well. Hence the conversation.
It’s a criticism of all states regardless of what direction you drive over the Mississippi. Gouging is gouging whether it’s normalized or not. I move states all the time, so I don’t have any pearls to clutch or defend in this conversation. A thing has a value regardless of residency, residents already have a huge reward in tag allocation numbers for being local.

wllm1313

FNG
Because I have common sense, I’m a realist and quite frankly, I’m not ready for it.
Here’s some food for thought.
Why is this guy applying for multiple states?
He’s been hunting for 2 years.
The first year, he got sick and had to come home early.
Surprise.
Last year he dropped a wheel off in the ditch in his brand brand new tundra, didn’t have chains or a winch or any safety equipment that common sense would tell you is required for navigating the mountains in the snow and he literally hit the SOS button on his inreach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He then went on to shoot a cow whilst sitting on the lap of another ht member who’s actually a really cool guy.
Why tf is this guy applying in multiple states?
He can get the mountain experience in his home state.
He can hunt deer and elk in his home state.
But Randy Newberg told him he needs to apply in every single state if he’s gonna be a super hunter so he applies in every single state because Randy Newberg told him to and because it’s the good old American way.
And don’t worry, he’s gonna write his senators because he’s been hunting 2 years and he’s important god damnit!!!
Ps check out that sweet profile pic looking hard af

A pretty common refrain in the hunting community is that new hunters give nothing back, it's the critique of R3.

We as a community lament that folks are happy to be keyboard warriors but then don't actually show up for conservation or hunting. I'll be honest I'm one of those guys, most I've done in the past decade is buy some sheep scratchers and attend a few banquets.

In general we recognize that there are stages of hunter development:

1) Shooting Stage · 2) Limiting Out Stage · 3) Trophy Stage · 4) Method Stage · 5) Sportsman Stage · 6) “Give-Back” Stage

Most folks don't seem to get passed the Trophy or Method state.

You can rip Bryce all you want buy I respect the hell out of him for jumping straight from the shooting stage to the Give-Back stage. Like I said few of us do much to give back and far fewer are willing to through there hat in the ring and join the board of conservation. Obviously, he doesn't bring decades of experience whacking and stacking, but he does have hard earned skills that are needed if we are going to advance the goal of getting more critters on the mountain.

Is this willingness to jump in with both feet what got him stuck in the mountains, probably lol.

Even then he was the one who posted what had happened and made fun of himself. I can't help but respect someone who is willing to laugh at themselves.

The hunting community is lucky to have guys like Bryce, he's welcome in my hunting camp anytime.

Here in San Jose, CA, we are 10-15 years ahead of you. My comment you quoted was a snarky way of suggesting it could be worse, but I feel your pain. Here in Silicon Valley it is pretty rare to meet people who are “from” here because most have been priced out and have had to live elsewhere.

And lots of retirees are cashing in and moving elsewhere, no doubt contributing to your local situation.

Hopefully the people who are moving to Bozeman at least want to plant roots there. Here in SV most people come here for the $400K/year salary with no intention of staying here long term. They make their money and retire elsewhere. As a result the sense of community has really deteriorated.
The Indian couple who bought across the street from us in 2021 still haven’t made eye contact with us.

It’s a mix, as far as who’s coming. Some good people are moving in, who genuinely want to come to MT to experience MT, and escape the crazies. Unfortunately, way more people are coming in and bringing the politics of the places they ruined with their votes. They’ve got no time for us redneck hick deplorables, and will slowly but surely make this state go the way of Colorado.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s a mix, as far as who’s coming. Some good people are moving in, who genuinely want to come to MT to experience MT, and escape the crazies. Unfortunately, way more people are coming in and bringing the politics of the places they ruined with their votes. They’ve got no time for us redneck hick deplorables, and will slowly but surely make this state go the way of Colorado.

And most are coming because they think it's just like the Yellowstone show.

And most are coming because they think it's just like the Yellowstone show.

Yeaaa that show didn’t help. Haha I’ve seen a couple people in Bozeman lately all duked out in ridiculous era costumes. Good for a laugh anyways

Douglasr

Lil-Rokslider
A pretty common refrain in the hunting community is that new hunters give nothing back, it's the critique of R3.

We as a community lament that folks are happy to be keyboard warriors but then don't actually show up for conservation or hunting. I'll be honest I'm one of those guys, most I've done in the past decade is buy some sheep scratchers and attend a few banquets.

1) Shooting Stage · 2) Limiting Out Stage · 3) Trophy Stage · 4) Method Stage · 5) Sportsman Stage · 6) “Give-Back” Stage

You can rip Bryce all you want buy I respect the hell out of him for jumping straight from the shooting stage to the Give-Back stage. Like I said few of us do much to give back and far fewer are willing to through there hat in the ring and join the board of conservation. Obviously, he doesn't bring decades of experience whacking and stacking, but he does have hard earned skills that are needed if we are going to advance the goal of getting more critters on the mountain.

Is this willingness to jump in with both feet what got him stuck in the mountains, probably lol.

Even then he was the one who posted what had happened and made fun of himself. I can't help but respect someone who is willing to laugh at themselves.

The hunting community is lucky to have guys like Bryce, he's welcome in my hunting camp anytime.
What’s mtmuleys favorite cartridge?
What kind of binding do you have on your new skis?

LURE

FNG
Because I have common sense, I’m a realist and quite frankly, I’m not ready for it.
Here’s some food for thought.
Why is this guy applying for multiple states?
He’s been hunting for 2 years.
The first year, he got sick and had to come home early.
Surprise.
Last year he dropped a wheel off in the ditch in his brand brand new tundra, didn’t have chains or a winch or any safety equipment that common sense would tell you is required for navigating the mountains in the snow and he literally hit the SOS button on his inreach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He then went on to shoot a cow whilst sitting on the lap of another ht member who’s actually a really cool guy.
Why tf is this guy applying in multiple states?
He can get the mountain experience in his home state.
He can hunt deer and elk in his home state.
But Randy Newberg told him he needs to apply in every single state if he’s gonna be a super hunter so he applies in every single state because Randy Newberg told him to and because it’s the good old American way.
And don’t worry, he’s gonna write his senators because he’s been hunting 2 years and he’s important god damnit!!!
Ps check out that sweet profile pic looking hard af
View attachment 683419

Personal attacks, some involving family, is ultimately what got doug banned from HT regardless of what he'll tell you.

He's an entertaining dude, but those attacks seem to continue now that he's made his bed here and I hope Rokslide won't put up with it either.

I don’t know who the hell any of these people are, but the possibility of truthful personal attacks keep a lot of people honest. Eliminating them would be to the ultimate detriment of our community. This is especially true when so many engaged in our pursuits are the "look at me" types.

Douglasr

Lil-Rokslider
Personal attacks, some involving family, is ultimately what got doug banned from HT regardless of what he'll tell you.

He's an entertaining dude, but those attacks seem to continue now that he's made his bed here and I hope Rokslide won't put up with it either.
Hiding behind a screen name nobody knows.
Talking about things you don’t understand.
Calling for the silencing of somebody you don’t agree with.
Tell me you’re an ht member without telling me you’re and ht member.

Go back to your safe space, I don’t want to start beef over here.

I don’t know who the hell any of these people are, but the possibility of truthful personal attacks keep a lot of people honest. Eliminating them would be to the ultimate detriment of our community. This is especially true when so many engaged in our pursuits are the "look at me" types.

I'll give an example: cousins.

Some of us have pretty hot cousins. In James McMurtry's "Choctaw Bingo" he tells us about his cousins Ruth-Anne and Lynn, how he wants to "get between them." I surmise this is the case for many amongst us. Some fall victim to the urge but most don't. Why? Because of the threat of eternal mocking. So you see it does some good.

Douglasr

Lil-Rokslider

@Randy Newberg and @wllm1313 Are great people and I'm a piece of shit for chastising them.
If not for them, I never would've done any of the rad shit I've done over the past 6 years and I'd probably be shooting speedballs under a bridge in Danville, Il right now.
Little Dougie should probably be better at taking a joke, but a lot of the hatred I've ejaculated towards you guys stems from people who don't know how to put anti gel in their diesel fuel, tighten a bolt or run a sub 4 marathon calling me and my people chinless flatlanders then not pulling up when I present them with multiple venues to put their money where their mouth is and display their athleticism.
"I don't pay to work out bro"
"ill tailgate the event"
Especially given the fact that I've done more outside in the past 6 weeks than they have in the 6 years.
I also get tired of hunters thinking they're the baddest mf's.
Anyone who can hang a left of aiguille du midi and rap down into the couloirs can trick a goat and kill it.
However, not everybody who can trick a goat can rap down into the couloirs.
I also get tired of you and your fellow members of the big woods grouse group winning every single argument on the internet because you've taken countless college level writing classes and are masters of the written word.
If we were on the ski lift and you'd been rambling for hours about god only knows what and all your .gov supported statistics, I'd go "hey wllm, guess what? Nobody give a fuuuuuuuuuuuucccckkkk"
"derp grumble grumble grumble. intel pentium 4. stats.gov"
"yeah well, I don't give a shit"

You also know that freaking haaaaaattteee the "sacrifices we make to live on vacation" argument that I've heard several people in the skiing industry try to use.
Did I put a little spin on this specific one? yeah, im a pos. but we live in the age of Fox News and cnn and that's what ive been taught to do.

In conclusion, I want you to know, if there was an alien invasion and it came down to me, you and you're played ass family, id fly a nuclear weapon equipped aircraft into the belly of the alien mothership and lay down my life for you because you're a really good dude.

Bryce is a good dude too and I hope he sticks with hunting and piles up a ton of animals.

All you rugged mountain men from the impervious death zone known as summit county have to do is sign the contract and show up.
You're not gonna get hurt and even if you do, none of you chumps bow hunt so you'll have at least a month to recover.
unless of course you're gonna go up to Alaska and sit on CD's lap. :p

now please go over to my bowling thread and give me my reds.
you know the part about the pins a metaphor for life made you laugh.

http://www.shawneehills100.com

• Haha
Reactions: TVW

Douglasr

Lil-Rokslider
I'll give an example: cousins.

Some of us have pretty hot cousins. In James McMurtry's "Choctaw Bingo" he tells us about his cousins Ruth-Anne and Lynn, how he wants to "get between them." I surmise this is the case for many amongst us. Some fall victim to the urge but most don't. Why? Because of the threat of eternal mocking. So you see it does some good.
not much on talking
he's just too mean to die. 🤘

Douglasr

Lil-Rokslider

And for the record, personal attacks aren’t why I got banned.
They’re why wllm went on hiatus and jls quit.
I got banned for calling you guys a bunch of front wipers because I don’t believe there’s a “good old boys network” at cpw or that the former director Dan Prenzlow is a blatant racist.

go_deep

WKR
@Douglasr
Do you know, or are you possibly related to Deleted member 8-15-23, shoot a 1955 .270, and run canyons up behind your house be chance?
Your not far from Wisconsin, so there's a chance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.