Newbie fly fisher ISO Basic fly tying tools and materials

Jordan F

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just getting into the whole fly fishing scene and loving it so much that I want to learn the fly-tying aspect as well. Have a guy who can teach me how to tie them, but need the basic tools.

Would love to hear yall's advice as far as what would be the best way to get into it. If anybody has some basic tools and some starter materials laying around, I'd be happy to buy them from you.

Thanks,
Jordan

Pn8hall

WKR
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Best advice I can give you is get a rotary vice. I bought a Renzetti traveler years ago and it really took my tying to a new level. What type of flies are you looking to tie? I am sure I could dig up some excess materials to donate to the cause depending on what you are tying. You pay the shipping and you can have them. Let me know.

WKR
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Evidently my fly tying is well ahead of my computering.

Edit, second attempt appears to be more successful.

WKR
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sadly, the wine didn't survive the evening, but the Breaking Bad on the tablet was a good companion to the flies being produced.

The horrible paint job behind the wall has also been killed off, ceremonially, and with great disgust. Former owners of this house had some rather interesting taste.

Regardless, fly tying turns out to be a $5k investment, but you make it $7 at a time, forever and ever...

OP
J

Jordan F

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aha! I see them now, and yes that is what I was afraid of/excited about ;) My immediate thought when I landed my first fly-caught fish was, "this could be very expensive" hahaha

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Regardless, fly tying turns out to be a $5k investment, but you make it $7 at a time, forever and ever...

Like any other hobby, it's whatever you make of it. I've been fly fishing and tying flies my entire life and I probably only have $100 into it. But I tend to only tie the flies that I can't find or no one else can make worth a darn.

ElkFanatic

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ton of fly fishing material,etc that I'm interested in parting with....any thing you have for trade ? Kifaru ? Elk gear ? Bow stuff ? Guns ?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The rotary vises are nice, but I'm still using the same vise I bought 25 years ago. It all depends on how much tying you think you'll do. If you're cranking out several hundred a year, then spring for the rotary.

Buy good scissors and hackle pliers. Also, buy good hooks.

OP
J

Jordan F

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ElkFanatic

Sorry man, I'm still building up all my gear so I don't have anything extra to trade right now.
Thanks though!

OP
J

Jordan F

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rotary vises are nice, but I'm still using the same vise I bought 25 years ago. It all depends on how much tying you think you'll do. If you're cranking out several hundred a year, then spring for the rotary.

Thanks, Jason! Good to know!

ElkFanatic

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is good sound advice. Just don't over spend on unnecessary things off the bat. Ease into it and see if you like it or have the time to do it ! I had two kids and there's no time to tie for me these days.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jordan F

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duly noted @ElkFanatic, thanks! I'm going to ease into it and get the basic tools and some basic materials and go from there