Newbies asking for a handout!!!

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Seems to be a formula.
Hi I'm new here and only came for a handout. Not looking for anyone's honey hole.
Give me info.
Thanks

Come on folks. It degrades the community when a person only dips in for a handout. I've learned a ton on here and tried to be helpful to others but it's bugging me how many people seem to show up looking for specific unit/hunt info on their first and only post. It's like handing cash to the homeless guy with the just need beer sign. Your not helping them and your attracting more homeless.

Last edited:

Laramie

WKR
I help here and there but it's people on the forum contributing generally. I do agree the over the top requests are laughable sometimes.

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Seems to be a formula.
Hi I'm new here and only came for a handout.
Give me info.
Thanks

Come on folks. It degrades the community when a person only dips in for a handout. I've learned a ton on here and tried to be helpful to others but it's bugging me how many people seem to show up looking for specific unit/hunt info on their first and only post. It's like handing cash to the homeless guy with the just need beer sign. Your not helping them and your attracting more homeless.
I had almost 400 posts on here with story’s, pictures etc. Had a few bad experiences in a row with people and I deleted almost every post and picture it would allow me to. I pick and choose things to answer these days and I myself actually through pm asked for some help with some draw tags I drew this year but I agree it’s the worst seeing some of these guys “going to buy me an idaho general tag, what’s the best high country unit to slay a 240 in?”

OP
Dioni A

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I have nothing against people reaching out and looking for information. That's what this place is for. It's just frustrating how brazen and lazy some of it has gotten and how some people still try to help them. The worst is when they respond with specific areas and units directly in the post. It makes my blood boil.

ndayton

WKR
The best ones are when they get called out get offended and then proceed to attack senior members exclaiming how great hunters they are and all the animals they've killed they just needed a point in the right direction :rolleyes:

I would support a rule that you cant post in the animal specific threads until you hit 50 post, that would weed out a lot of them.

Clark33

WKR
It is baffling considering the amount of information you can find out there with minimal research skills.
But I do smile when I see these posts sit with zero replies. Maybe just start sending them a link to an outfitter in the area they’re inquiring about lol, if you don’t wanna research and scout, pay this guy lol

Me and my best friend have an area in Colorado we've hunted a few times very tough terrain and with very few elk. We alway point those wanting our honey holes there. I've got grid coordinates if any one needs them😄

OP
Dioni A

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
It’s almost just as disappointing when you see posts from people complaining about it instead of simply choosing not to respond to the inquiring post(s) in the first place. 🙄😁
A good rant is healthy every now and again. I'm also attempting to shed light on the people who respond to them. Believe it or not you can search the name of my favorite hunting area on this site and it was exposed in this very fashion by a senior member. Don't think I'm unique in that situation either. I'm less mad at the guy who asked as I am the guy who answered.

GregB

WKR
Seems to be a formula.
Hi I'm new here and only came for a handout.
Give me info.
Thanks

I believe your formula is missing not looking for anyone's honey hole.

Laramie

WKR
Me and my best friend have an area in Colorado we've hunted a few times very tough terrain and with very few elk. We alway point those wanting our honey holes there. I've got grid coordinates if any one needs them😄
I did that a few years ago. Guys were literally license plate chasing and ended up hunting close to me 3 different times, in completely different areas. I decided to "move camp" and told them I was done for the week. They asked for any tips. I sent them to a pretty brutal area that I hate. Super steep, tough hunting, etc... Ran into them a few days later... they shot a 320" 6x6 there. Go figure lol.

Haha that’s the best part. Then a new newbie..double negative?…comes on and asks how the hunt went and of course they never reply!

While this phenomenon illustrates some questionable character (asking for free help, provide nothing to others seeking the same) I'm glad it exists! The last thing you need is the hunting area info request threads being updated annually with the next season's honey hole seeker inquiries getting responded to with details from people who don't care about burning spots because they aren't going back for a few years if at all.

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I think the reality is, there’s always going to be some person trying to get a free ride and not contribute and some poor well intentioned veteran of hunting willing to help. I guess I just hunt places that are so bad most people aren’t willing to deal with how hard it is. Even if they know where to try they give up.