Newbies asking for a handout!!!

HUNT JR

WKR
The great thing about this forum is that there are a lot of high quality people on here who are willing to help. I have received a lot of great advice on this forum from a few members even if I haven't been able to return the favor yet. I try to keep good karma on my side.

Vandy321

WKR
I've had a ton of help over the years from waterfowling, to big game and now upland. I do my best to help where I am fairly smart on anything fly fishing, gear (gear junkie), marksmanship, etc to pay it back. The members here are a fantastic resource with some amazing outdoorsman. But to the OPs point, it seems the majority of new members in July/Aug pop in looking for help with a tag they bought or drew and have no intentions of ever returning to the sight. That can and does get a little old.

Last edited:

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe Rokslide members who've been here over a year can charge for advice. "Venmo me $100 and I'll tell you a spot with bulls in it. Gas ain't cheap broham" ;)

Seeking advice for OTC vs. Draw tags is two different things. I'm not going to engage anyone for OTC, but could entertain helping a brother out on a special tag. Those usually don't effect the general populous. If they're not finding info here, they can just as easily find it with a call to a biologist. Information is exchanged outside of the internet.

All of this is NOT a substitute for boots on the ground work.

It can go a couple ways for me.

1. The guys who come on solely asking for info and not hanging around - those guys can get lost.

2. Even for those guys, I don't believe anyone should be subject to asshattery. By all means, ignore them and offer them nothing, but its no reason to be an outright dick to someone. The only thing you're doing is making yourself look like a POS - those guys are still gonna show up regardless of how you "stick it to them". That one might leave, but another will surely take his place. The only person with shit on their face is you.

3. A shitty hunter is still just that - a shitty hunter. That hunter can go pay for Robbys scouting service, and Robby go out personally and find that hunter a nice bull/buck to shoot. Learn what drainage he lives in, his entire routine, and give the information to said hunter. If that hunter doesn't know what they're doing... well guess what, chances are the golden goose is gonna fly the coup before the hunter even sets eyes on him because of inexperience. Now said hunter is right back to square one because they don't know wtf they're doing. This part is more aimed at the guys asking for spots - the spots do you no good if you don't know how to hunt. If you know how to hunt, you don't need to ask for spots.

4. Bridging on the last one - animals are dynamic. Just because I went up Notellum Creek and shot a nice buck last year doesn't mean there's gonna be a nice buck(or any buck) up there this year. Maybe your hunt timing is off from mine. Maybe environmental factors(fires, snow, etc) pushed them out early. Maybe pressure hasn't pushed them in yet(or pushed them out already). A lot of factors there... so even if you're sitting on the exact same rock, on the exact same day, at the exact same hour and minute as I was last year, you may see nothing. This is why knowing how to hunt comes in handy - otherwise you're just going to be chasing your tail when the inevitable happens.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t post often. I read more. There is some post that get beat down and told to use the search button. Okey well how about we all use the search option and there is no conversation here? It’s a slippery slope the internet has changed all of our worlds. Better or worse we are stuck with the outcome. I guess I’m fortunate enough to hunt in such crappy places I would gladly share any intel I have.

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
I just had my first successful solo DIY hunt in NM and I was able to do that by just searching the forum for topics I had questions about and when I had something very specific that I wouldn’t consider being a “mooch” over, I asked someone.

I think we can apply a rule that is used in the tech industry with teams and questions.

“If someone on the team can Google the answer to your question and you didn’t, you’re fired”

Gboots

FNG
Is there a point where someone is no longer a newbie and can ask for the information in question? Asking for a semi-newbie friend...
I'm wondering the same thing. I just wanted to be able to send a PM about reloading but I have restrictions before I can send a PM. It isn't the best but I guess I gotta keep trying until the software lets me post.

Pretty subjective term you're using there buddy.

You should really watch your language on the forum, not setting a very positive example now are we?
Let's all just play nice! We're here to share information and wisdom. There's enough negative talk on the news. Everyday you wake up without six feet of dirt above you is a good day! :)

wweaver

FNG
Everyone has to get started somehow. I have been lucky recently and drew some really good tags in some random draws that I have turned around and helped numerous people with, but I agree on the pm function. I don’t have many posts on here because I use a couple other forums as well. I think new people would get better response if it showed they had done a LITTLE research before asking for handouts. But yes the “I drew a 20 year tag and it starts in two weeks where should I go” is nuts. Clearly they are not taking it seriously from the beginning anyway so why waste your time If they won’t even lift a finger.

I feel like these poster have no shame, I mean no one really knows me on here but I feel like I couldn't ask the questions these fellas are.

But if you wanna see what outright vomitworthy... join your state's facebook hunting groups. Makes you 100% lose faith in the hunting population. Saw a guy post there in ND on the second to last weekend of moose season that he was looking for a cow. I live, hunt, & work in his unit and see dozens of moose every week. Every farmer in this country will say, "Please kill this wild combine, I'll help you load it"

Newbie response. I 've followed this forum for about two years, but actually just joined today. I'm a firm believer in doing your own research and not asking for a handout (reason for just lurking instead of posting). I started reading this forum because my son and I got invited to go with a group to Colorado this year for an elk/mule deer hunt. We didn't draw elk tags, but did draw some mule deer doe tags that allowed us to harvest some meat and start to learn the ropes of mountain hunting. We had a blast! I understand y'all's point of view with people asking very specific questions. However, as an alternate viewpoint, as a newbie to mountain hunting, I think that some of the posts asking specific questions are just from people that don't know any better. As members of a declining hunting population, I think we should try to be as accomodating as possible to encourage new hunters. That said, I would never ask for specific spots, units, etc. but agree with an earlier post that there is and always will be that group looking for a free ride!

Poser

WKR
Newbie response. I 've followed this forum for about two years, but actually just joined today. I'm a firm believer in doing your own research and not asking for a handout (reason for just lurking instead of posting). I started reading this forum because my son and I got invited to go with a group to Colorado this year for an elk/mule deer hunt. We didn't draw elk tags, but did draw some mule deer doe tags that allowed us to harvest some meat and start to learn the ropes of mountain hunting. We had a blast! I understand y'all's point of view with people asking very specific questions. However, as an alternate viewpoint, as a newbie to mountain hunting, I think that some of the posts asking specific questions are just from people that don't know any better. As members of a declining hunting population, I think we should try to be as accomodating as possible to encourage new hunters. That said, I would never ask for specific spots, units, etc. but agree with an earlier post that there is and always will be that group looking for a free ride!

These aren’t “new” hunters asking these questions. The vast majority have been hunting whitetails for years, decades even. They are full grown men and experienced hunters who somehow manage to turn into children and cry like little bitches about “hunters helping hunters” when in fact their very public conversations negatively impact far more hunters then the shared info helps. I have no sympathy for grown men with agency and reason who act like spoiled, entitled children when the subject is western hunting.

As a newbie, I'd like to separate myself from the people too lazy to listen to the podcasts, read the forums (and books) and most of all get into the field. I believe most of the people on here are hard working, passionate outdoorsmen/women who are working to better themselves. Those who aren't, know who they are.

I don't want your spot. I'm not going to look into metadata for photo locations. I know better than to post unit numbers and specific geographic locations in public forums. I know what it's like to have an area overrun and ruined by magazine articles, forum posts and sloppy YouTube videos.

I'm here to learn, and I'm here for the sense of community. I can't always be in the field, so roaming this forum is my daily fix. If I post a question or request, it's because I've read everything I could find and can't make up my mind or need some input from someone with firsthand experience. My goal is to understand the animals I hunt so I can find them in any area I choose to hunt. Pulling the trigger and punching the tag is just icing on the cake.

Also, I'm not a complete neophyte, so if I have experience or input directly related to a thread, I feel obligated to chip in with a helpful comment. Lots of interest in hunting has been generated by social media in recent years. Let's not run off all the prospective hunters by jumping down their throats the first time they post online.

TheGDog

WKR
I just figure it's likely apparent what level of stick-to-it-ive-ness the person has if you observe what kinds of questions they are asking.

Was only 6yrs ago that was me. Just wanted somebody to point me at a big area and say in there somewhere would be a good place to start. Thankfully had a few great people not only did that for me to some degree, but also accompanied some of them to their long-time honey-hole areas to. But it was only after they were seeing that I was serious about this pursuit.

And because I was serious about it and putting in the time, they were great about me asking the more and more detailed and specific questions you start to have the more you get out there and experience stuff.. ya know? I had committed to hiking out there minimum 2, usually 4 times per month, all year long, because I needed the success to happen soo badly! So I think because of that they were cool with upping the level of help they were willing to weigh in on. Because I'd present a very specific question scenario, explain the backstory of why I had this question, what my experience was, what happened. Then we could all dissect what went down, and they'd weigh in on better choices I could have made at various points in the timeline while it was happening that day. And why these other choices they suggested would have possibly helped. Which is where the real learning is.

I remember one such factoid I was glad to learn about, and that they made sure to impress upon me when I was asking a bunch of bowhunting specific questions... was making sure before you draw that bow or bring that rifle to bear... to make sure their eye goes behind a trunk or bush.. or that you at least wait until they put their head back down to the ground to browse again before trying to bring that weapon to bear. And how you have to play it cool and wait until they give you that chance to do it without being seen. Between that, and "The Freeze Game" when you Do get caught in their view... I'd say those were some of the greatest little details that good folks on here and elsewhere were nice enough to set me hip too.

And I figure, the way I'd be good about reporting back to em on the same Message Thread I'd start when asking for help... reporting how trying X and Y either improved OR didn't improve my particular situation, it kind of acted like this "Learn Along With Me" type of multi-participant online class in session type of deal.

Greatest thing I like in the story-telling of somebody else's successful adventure... is that there's always these little key parts to that story as they tell it that'll make you realize THAT'S why they were successful and make you think about and consider some part of the chase you likely hadn't considered before, since having less experience. Love those insights!

I totally agree with what you guys are saying but in my situation its kind of hard not to. My dad has never hunted, im only 15 so i cant drive yet. But, i really love hunting. I did ask imformation on a unit and i was lucky enough for someone to pm me a spot to check out. With out that, i would not of had a clue of what to do. I didnt get a deer on that hunt but had fun. Once i can drive, i am going to go scouting and put in a lot of work so i dont have to rely on others. I also just bought my first rifle. But i agree good spots should be kept secret because i know when im older im not going to give up my spot but i will point people in a direction that they may have success in.

Hunterbug

FNG
The FB Colorado hunting pages kill me! “I accidentally drew a PLO tag and have no where to go. Can someone give me their place to hunt”.
Don't forget, "I'm not looking for a monster. Just something to fill the freezer" or "I'm just looking to show my kid a good time on their first hunt".

Hunterbug

FNG
I think that some of it depends on the area. My daughter drew a youth elk tag for the Bosque Del Oso this year. I asked for and got some great info. I would happily pass that info and what we learned along to others. By the time I get the 25ish points it takes to draw there someone would have to push me around in a wheel chair so sharing it won't hurt me a bit. Now a unit that I hunt often is a different story.

Deadfall

WKR
Eh. Not sure it matters. Most places, success rates haven't climbed much. Besides, if they don't have ambition to look over maps from comfort of the lazy chair, how ambitious they gonna be in woods.
I purposely hunted some high pressure areas this year. Places I've never hunted before. During bow and rifle. Encountered mature bulls and deer in all of them.
Day before opening of rifle I did pass one fella who yelled out his window for me to go home. Guess the roads are getting congested with the yuppy wagons.
Headed back out for last 3 days to see about a mule deer.

Moral is, there are no secrets and most just don't put in the effort. Is pretty entertaining.