Newfoundland Bear

Is it worth adding a bear tag onto my NL Moose hunt ?
I already have a bear rug, so it's not like I'm looking for another bear. I wouldn't eat it anyway......
and I wouldn't want to scare off Moose with shooting a bear 1st....

Are bears plentiful up there ?

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't bother with a bear tag. Especially if you're all set with a rug, and not interested in eating the meat. I bought a tag on my trip and didn't see a bear the whole week despite a 10 day old gut pile 50 yards from the cabin's front door. Your area May differ. Just Sayin'.

OP
Short Track
That's my feeling... It would just be a trophy hunt... nothing more. I ate my 1st bear, and it was a good eating bear; but I wouldn't eat another one. I'd have to do a shoulder mount, and give away the meat.. I'd rather shoot a cow moose. That would get eaten :)

Agree. I was going to purchase a tag, but didn't want that to detract from my hunt. So I donated my tag fees to my buddy to go on a mission trip. I felt like that was a better use of the funds. I didn't see a bear when I was there, but the other guy in camp did see one, and was going to shoot it until the guide say a spike bull....which he told the guy in camp to shoot. I personally felt like that was a horrible mistake to shoot a spike bull, but I wasn't in that moment.
Just remember that you cannot buy a tag after your hunt starts. It sounds like it is a 'Hard No' for you here with the bear tag, but wanted to mention that.

PA Hunter

WKR
We usually get one bear each trip from my group of four hunters and they are huge, last one over 500 one before 400 plus. I forgot about another one over 400 also. I hunt an hour or so from Deer Lake.

OP
Short Track
We did see some bears. Not too big, but scat everywhere. They are all berry eating bears, probably taste good.

JES

FNG
I'm considering a moose/bear combo, but from the sounds of this thread it may be best to stay away from the extra cost of the bear tag. Good thread.