NF NX8 vs updated Mavens (1.2/3.2)

cpalm9

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone compared the two? The Maven’s seem like a great deal and are getting great durability reviews on here. I’m looking for a scope to mount on a lightweight 6.5 PRC deer/elk rifle for here in MT. I’m a pretty dedicated bow hunter but I do like to keep options open in case bow season doesn’t go as planned! I’m just not as well versed in rifles and optics. My buddies have tossed around the idea of doing an NRL Hunter match so ideally I’d like something that would work for that as well.

Thanks in advance!

I have the Maven 1.2 in Mil and have used the NX8 2.5-20x50 and 4-32x50 extensively. The Maven has been reliable for me so far (longevity compared to the NX8 remains to be seen). The Maven has a better Mil reticle and better eye box and has plenty of zoom for most hunting distances for most people. The glass quality (subjective, of course) seems comparable to my eyes between the two. I have no experience with the Maven 3.2.

OP
C

cpalm9

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Maven 1.2 in Mil and have used the NX8 2.5-20x50 and 4-32x50 extensively. The Maven has been reliable for me so far (longevity compared to the NX8 remains to be seen). The Maven has a better Mil reticle and better eye box and has plenty of zoom for most hunting distances for most people. The glass quality (subjective, of course) seems comparable to my eyes between the two. I have no experience with the Maven 3.2.
I've played around with the NX8 at the store and it certainly feels like a durable scope. I was a pretty big fan of the NX8 but the Maven is quite a bit cheaper and, like you said, people are giving it pretty amazing reviews on here.

I’m a huge Nightforce slut, I love them for what they are, theyre bomb proof and work great.

That said, for a hunting rifle I’d go Maven RS1.2 with the mil reticle. For me and my hunting rifles I want that better reticle. It’s super intuitive and great throughout the whole power range.

I used the Mil R for a bunch of years and it’s usable, but it has drawbacks that I feel the Maven reticle solves. And… so far, my Maven has been solid and reliable.

OP
C

cpalm9

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a huge Nightforce slut, I love them for what they are, theyre bomb proof and work great.

That said, for a hunting rifle I’d go Maven RS1.2 with the mil reticle. For me and my hunting rifles I want that better reticle. It’s super intuitive and great throughout the whole power range.

I used the Mil R for a bunch of years and it’s usable, but it has drawbacks that I feel the Maven reticle solves. And… so far, my Maven has been solid and reliable.
Thanks for the response. I imagine the 15x top end is more than enough for all hunting applications but do you ever wish you had more?

Thanks for the response. I imagine the 15x top end is more than enough for all hunting applications but do you ever wish you had more?

During hunting situations over the last handful of years all my shots have been between 4 and maybe 7x I think.

I’ve never really needed the top end while shooting game or targets. A few weeks back I was hitting a target just over 1k and was around 7 or 8x with the Maven and it was the right mag for that day and target. There’s been a few times I used higher mag to get a better look at an animal when I didn’t have a spotter. But honestly 15-16x has been plenty for me in that role too

Before the Maven on this particular rifle I had a 5-20 on it and I never got close to the top end of the magnification available.

OP
C

cpalm9

Lil-Rokslider
During hunting situations over the last handful of years all my shots have been between 4 and maybe 7x I think.

I’ve never really needed the top end while shooting game or targets. A few weeks back I was hitting a target just over 1k and was around 7 or 8x with the Maven and it was the right mag for that day and target. There’s been a few times I used higher mag to get a better look at an animal when I didn’t have a spotter. But honestly 15-16x has been plenty for me in that role too

Before the Maven on this particular rifle I had a 5-20 on it and I never got close to the top end of the magnification available.
Sounds like the Maven is the real deal. That price point is really nice too. I imagine the reticle helps a bunch on long range shots with low magnification

Unfortunately, they are sold out so looks like I’ll have to wait…

Sounds like the Maven is the real deal. That price point is really nice too. I imagine the reticle helps a bunch on long range shots with low magnification

Unfortunately, they are sold out so looks like I’ll have to wait…
So far of what I’ve used (NF Mil R, Mil-Quad from SWFA) and this Maven the RS1.2 is my favorite. Right feature set, smart reticle, good pricing.

Shoot Maven a message, they’ve always been super helpful and responsive and will let you know when they expect restocks to come in. I’ve been watching it close since November or December. Seems like every few weeks they are getting more scopes in

Kurts86

WKR
I’ve used an NX8 for 3 years and I’ve played with the RS1.2 at and outdoor show and would have bought one on the spot if the had the all black Mil version in stock that day.

The RS1.2 has one of, if not the best FFP reticle right now and it has shown drop test promise.

The NX8 has more top end magnification which is a detriment while hunting and the 8x zoom ratio creates optical compromises that are well known on the 2.5-20 NX8. It has a tight eye box and its short length is a mounting headache for medium/long actions without a continuous top rail.

Nightforce has a much longer running reputation for durability that the maven will take years, if not decades to build up.

OP
C

cpalm9

Lil-Rokslider
After reading more of the comments from the drop test eval on here, I think I'm pretty sold on the Maven. The price is right and seems like you all + others are big fans.

I’ve used an NX8 for 3 years and I’ve played with the RS1.2 at and outdoor show and would have bought one on the spot if the had the all black Mil version in stock that day.

The RS1.2 has one of, if not the best FFP reticle right now and it has shown drop test promise.

The NX8 has more top end magnification which is a detriment while hunting and the 8x zoom ratio creates optical compromises that are well known on the 2.5-20 NX8. It has a tight eye box and its short length is a mounting headache for medium/long actions without a continuous top rail.

Nightforce has a much longer running reputation for durability that the maven will take years, if not decades to build up.
Did you find the Maven glass to be similar? Frankly, I'm coming for a low budget Leupold so anything is going to be better! The NX8 looked really great in the store.

Kurts86

WKR
I can’t really say on the maven glass as I’ve only seen it inside looking at 75 yards or less. Until I use it at last light or on a mirage heavy summer day past 700 yards I won’t say. Realistically there isn’t a $1,000+ scope where glass quality is a true limitation.

OP
C

cpalm9

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t really say on the maven glass as I’ve only seen it inside looking at 75 yards or less. Until I use it at last light or on a mirage heavy summer day past 700 yards I won’t say. Realistically there isn’t a $1,000+ scope where glass quality is a true limitation.
Have you compared the NX8 to the Mark 5? The 3.6-18 is also a consideration for me as I’ve seen a few for a good deal. I’m certainly leaning Maven though

Have you compared the NX8 to the Mark 5? The 3.6-18 is also a consideration for me as I’ve seen a few for a good deal. I’m certainly leaning Maven though

To my eyes the Mark 5 has slightly better glass than either the Maven or the NX8. The Maven still wins in reticle choice and reliability compared to the Mark 5.

Kurts86

WKR
Yes it was my other major consideration. The Mark 5 has better turrets and maybe better glass but that isn’t offset by the fact they aren’t as durable as NF or the Maven RS1.2 and are a headache to source 35mm rings for and they charge an extra $500 for illumination.

Glass clarity isn’t a major consideration in this class of optics. They are all adequate and their function as an aiming device (zero retention and tracking) is what matters. I have a fleet of Swarovski binoculars and spotting scopes so I value good glass but these scopes are not tools to find game, rather aiming devices.