NF NXS or NX8 or ATACR for mountain rifle

Rock-o

WKR
I *think* SFP scopes tend to be heavier than their FFP counterparts so comparing the weight of different model scopes (NXS vs NX8, for example) when they are not the same type (SFP vs FFP) is apples and oranges.

I did a lot of scope research recently and ended up with an NX8 4-32 FFP. It's small-ish which is nice for my "mountain" rifle. I didn't have any [scope tube length] issues with mounting on my two piece Picatinny rail. Eye relief is fine, eye box is okay.

Of course the ATACR is better but I can't justify the additional cost. NXS was not in the running since I wanted FFP. Other scopes I considered were from Athlon, Tract, and Burris. Familiar with SWFA but they didn't have a model that appealed to me. No experience with March.

Last edited:
OP
BjornF16

BjornF16

WKR
I have a hard time getting over the humongous turrets on SWFA HD models...plus I want parallax adjustment.

I plan on either 2.5-10x NXS or 3-15x Razor LHT as well.

If nothing else, the 2.5-20x50 NX8 can go on my 300 WSM.

The turrets kept me away from the SWFA's as well.

I agree and with that said I went with the NX8 today.

The timing of me finding this thread could not have been better, FFP and some power. I admit it I am hooked on both.

I was leaning very hard towards the March F scopes but I just don't love their reticles. The LGS near me had an NX8 in stock, after a few touches and look down her top I got hitched.

I would like the elevation turret to be a little shorter and capped but I can live with this.

Bdk3CUq.jpg

Aries64

FNG
I’ve got a Kimber MA in 280 AI that I’m looking to re-scope. Current setup is 6.5 lbs.

I don’t want to have scope fail in mountains, so looking for reliable and rugged scope. I currently have Swarovski Z5 on it but am looking primarily at NF.

I have an NXS 3.5-15x56 but that is too bulky of a scope. But I like the glass.

I’m currently considering:
NXS 2.5-10x42 MOAR (SFP). Lightest of the bunch.
NX8 2.5-20x50 (FFP)
ATACR 4-16x42 (FFP)

I have never fondled the NX8 or ATACR.

I’m also considering the March compact 2.5-25x42 if I can find a good deal on one. (I can get NF Mil/LE discounts).

I prefer FFP and ability to adjust parallax.

I’d consider the SWFA SS if their 3-15 was HD (I have their 5-25x50 HD SS).

Appreciate inputs from those with NF and March experience on mountain rifles.
You posted this thread about four (4) months ago, so you may have already bought your new scope. I don't know how much magnification you're after, but if 8X on the top end is enough you should check-out the NX8 1-8X24.

It's FFP, weighs 17 oz. (without rings), has a 30mm Tube, Elevation ZeroStop, OAL of 8.7", Eye Relief of 3.7", and respective Exit Pupils of 7.9 and 3.0 at 1X and 8X. It also has a throw lever on the power ring, and is available in MOA and MRAD/MIL versions. However, it's Parallax is FIXED at 125 Meters.

Also, (and you may or may not know this or care), but Nightforce states the MOA version is actual MOA, i.e. 1.047" at 100 yards, rather than 1.000" at 100 yards, which is what a lot of manufacturer's "MOA"-based scopes are). Yeah, I know - I just mixed an angular unit of measure (MOA), with a linear unit of measure (IPHY [Inch Per Hundred Yards]), but I think everyone can grasp the concept easily that way.

Anyway, the MRAD version has a TOTAL Elevation Range of 30 MRAD/MILS (1 MRAD/MIL = 3.600" at 100 yards) and has .2 MRAD/MIL (.720" at 100 Yards) Click Values.

The MOA version has a TOTAL Elevation Range of 100 MOA (1 MOA = 1..047" at 100 yards) and has .500 MOA (.5235" at 100 Yards) Click Values.

Hope this helps!

Keith

Last edited:

Alienx

FNG
SHV 4-14 F1: 14.8” long, 30 oz, 3.1” eye relief

NXS 2.5-10x42: 11.9” long, 20.5 oz, 3.3” eye relief

NX8 2.5-20x50: 12” long, 28.3 oz, 3.5” eye relief

ATACR 4-16x42: 12.6” long, 30 oz, 3.5” eye relief

SWFA SS 3-15x42: 13.7” long, 24 oz, 3.8” eye relief

The SHV is longest, heaviest (tied) and shortest eye relief.

I’m leaning towards NXS or NX8. NXS is lightest, has parallax adjustment; not sure about being happy with 3.3” eye relief on mountain rifle. This may also go on 8 lb 300 WSM...
The 20X power on the NX8 would definitely be nice to have!

OP
BjornF16

BjornF16

WKR
I’m still waiting on my NX8 to arrive (ordered directly from NF with mil discount).

I also ordered/received a Trijicon Credo HX 3-15x42...very nice scope. This is sitting on my 280 AI MA for now (and may stay).

I’m still waiting on my NX8 to arrive (ordered directly from NF with mil discount).

I also ordered/received a Trijicon Credo HX 3-15x42...very nice scope. This is sitting on my 280 AI MA for now (and may stay).

Keep us updated on that trijicon, on paper they look great! (Edit: missed that they are SFP..)

NX8 lost my interest based on compromises that accompany an ultra short scope with 8x erector.

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
Keep us updated on that trijicon, on paper they look great! (Edit: missed that they are SFP..)

NX8 lost my interest based on compromises that accompany an ultra short scope with 8x erector.
You really need to get behind an NX8, if I could afford to all my scopes would be upgraded.

Robson

FNG
Nothing wrong with that scope either. I had a 4-16 ATACR for a while it was 32oz not 30. The NX8 2.5-20 is 27oz on my scale and I have lots of 30mm rings. I want an SFP NX8. It would also be a little lighter.
The 4-16 ATACR you had that weighed 32oz, was it the 42mm or 50mm. I’m thinking about the 42mm version for a build. Thanks.

Huntsalot

FNG
I much prefer the 2.5-20 x 50 NX8 in a SFP
for a mountain rifle. And I’ll take the oz. for the durability in the backcountry.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I was curious if you had an update regarding your scope? I'm looking at the same scope for a Montana. What base and ring setup did you go with? Thanks

OP
BjornF16

BjornF16

WKR
I currently have a Trijicon on my Kimber MA...but I also bought the NX8 2.5-20 that I haven't mounted to anything. It looks like a great scope, but I also really like the Trijicon Credo HX 2.5-15x42 performance and how it fits the Kimber.

I'm using Talley UL for the Kimber.

HuntnPack

WKR
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I was curious if you had an update regarding your scope? I'm looking at the same scope for a Montana. What base and ring setup did you go with? Thanks
I have my NX8 on a Seekins Element with an integral 20 moa rail & Seekins .870 height rings.

Shraggs

WKR
I currently have a Trijicon on my Kimber MA...but I also bought the NX8 2.5-20 that I haven't mounted to anything. It looks like a great scope, but I also really like the Trijicon Credo HX 2.5-15x42 performance and how it fits the Kimber.

I'm using Talley UL for the Kimber.

Looking at that scope too, are you dailing and if so what’s experience with tracking and returning to zero?