Nightforce choices

BigAl!

WKR
I went through almost this same exercise and decided on a NXS 2.5-10. Very happy with my decision. Just throwing out my 2 cents.

FLS

WKR
Of what you have listed the 4-16 would be my choice. The others are more magnification than I would want in a SFP scope. If you’re set on SFP, the 2-10 and 3-15 NSX’s are what I would be looking at In addition to the 4-16.

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
I think I've drank the nightforce kool aid and it'll be my next scope purchase.
I need help narrowing down the options though.
Right now its between the
4-16×50 ATACR sfp
2.5-20×50 NX8 sfp
4-36×50 NX8 ffp

I really like the Atacr and there wouldn't be any debate if it was a few ounces lighter but at 33 ounces im hesitant to put that on a fairly light mountain rifle for fears that it'll be unbalanced.
But as far as the reticle and zoom it is by far my favorite for hunting. most of my scopes are 4-16 sfp.

The 2.5-20 NX8 would be a good choice but im worried about eye relief problems with how short the mounting surface is behind the objective lens. its going on a split rail Bat vampire action. Also the 20x isn't ideal for me in a sfp scope I like 14x-18x for shot spotting.

That leaves the 4-36 Nx8 with a first focal, which I've never used or owned and think I prefer sfp for hunting purposes although I am open to it. I dont ever plan on using 36x in the field but would on the range. I just would hope that the subtensions are clearly visible in the 12x to 20x range and im not left trying to dial wind because I can't see the holds in the reticle.
Of those you've listed I would go 4-32 NX8 FFP.

Chad717

FNG
The Atacrs are amazing scopes but I wanted something lighter for my new pack rifle so I ordered a NX8 4-32, can’t wait to compare them. Hopefully not disappointed, I’ll report back.

Might consider the swfa 5-20 if it checks the boxes for you. Picked one up and very surprised how usable the reticle is through the whole power range. Glass is good, great reputation for tracking etc. on sale right now as well

Compared to the shv 4-14 F1 it is better in every way I can think of..

I have the ATACR 4X16 SFP MOAR on my 300 win Mag. Really like everything about that scope, the one odd thing with the ATACR scopes is that the entire back eyepiece rotates with it when changing magnification. It hasn’t caused any issues but it is a little odd getting used to.

Built a 6mm, and ended up going with the NX8 2-20 FFP MOAR, really have no complains at all. I have not had any issues and that scope is much lighter than the ATACR on my larger rifle. The FFP isn’t useable at the lowest magnification range but using the illuminated reticle it is still very shootable (and likely short range shots you may not need to use the reticle anyhow)

Also put an SHV 3x10 on a 350 Legend cause I liked that MOAR reticle so much.

Between the ATACR and the NX8, I wouldn’t have any issue using these same scopes on any rifle. Don’t think you can really go wrong, if you have the chance to handle both do so.

That would be for the sfp model.

I'm curious about the first focal, and at what magnification the reticle subtensions start to become visible and usable

I know at 4x you can't really see the hash marks but only a faint cross hair

I would say 10x is when they come usable for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: WKR
For those with FFPs in the NX8 and ATACRs, do you guys feel limited at low mag? Could you take a closer shot in cover if you needed too?

Personally I rarely if ever have shot opportunities closer than 100 yards. Realistically 6-7x on the low end would works for 99% of the shots I get. And I rarely shoot over 20x on the high end so I can spot shots, especially on heavier recoiling rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

madcalfe

WKR
For those with FFPs in the NX8 and ATACRs, do you guys feel limited at low mag? Could you take a closer shot in cover if you needed too?
i run the baby atacr on my sheep rifle. low mag in thick brush is fine just use illumination. pretty much have to with any FFP scope.
My vote would be for the 4-16x42 ATACR

SDHNTR

WKR
SFP over 15/16x does more harm than good.
The NX8 in 2.5-20 is nearly unusable. The 4-32 makes zero sense in SFP. Subtensions at max mag over that are totally useless and actually would be counterproductive to use in the field. FOV matters! If going over 15/16x, you NEED FFP if you want to use the reticle for anything.

Last edited:

CoachPat

FNG
Classified Approved
i run the baby atacr on my sheep rifle. low mag in thick brush is fine just use illumination. pretty much have to with any FFP scope.
My vote would be for the 4-16x42 ATACR
+1 on this, I have the same for my all around mountain rifle and as a klutz known to take some tumbles I love having a bomb proof optic. no issues running low mag when hunting timber.

I did the nightforce upgrade last year from a couple of leupolds. I live close enough to eurooptic that I fondled the whole line. ATCArs are great but heavier and more $$$ than the NX8 line. I might think different if I were going to beat it to hell - .mil or LEO - but it wasn’t worth it to me. I ended up with a NX8 2.5 x 20 on a 300 WM and a NXS 2-10 on 6.5 creed. Both great scopes. No real regrets. After a couple of hunts and range trips, I find I want to get more illum and magnification than the 2.5-10 offers so I will probably swap that one out for another 2.5x20 at some point. Nothing wrong with the 2.5-10, but I am will to take the 7oz weight penalty for a bit more glass. If I wanted to keep the gun light as possible, I would stay with the 2.5-10.

gtriple

WKR
20x and 32x zoom is probably more than you'll ever need in any hunting situation. And they are about the same weight as the Atacr.

I've got the 4-16x50 ATACR, the 3-15 NXS, and 2 of the 2.5-10x42 NXS. Plus an SHV.... the ATACR is a noticeable jump in glass quality IMO. If you can afford it and don't mind the extra weight, the ATACR is awesome. If you are trying to save weight, I'd go all the way down to the 2.5-10X42.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
Now where can a guy actually look through and get his hands on all these to compare? None of my local stores carry the high end NF scopes

Lawnboi

WKR
Iv got 2 4-32 nx8. While the reticle is thin, it’s not unusable. Iv shot plenty close with it.

12x is about the minimum for me when it comes to usable subtensions. Most what I do long range is shot between 12 and 16x.

I do like the extra magnification for ID purposes mainly. Especially when shooting antlerless deer, checking there’s not a spike, or nuts is nice. That and getting a balls on zero is easy with a little more magnification.

I would never consider either of the nx8 in sfp. Simply too much magnification on the high end to be useful. I’d drop down to a lower power scope, probably 14-16x max for a sfp optic, and even then I’d probably skip it.

My only real gripe with the nx8 is the finicky parallax. The eye box is not a problem around the magnification that you will likely be taking a shot at.

Duh

WKR
I have the NX8 FFP 4x32 on a Seekins Havak in 300 win mag. I don’t feel limited at all. Closest shot has been about 75 yards in thick trees.

I went from NX8 2.5-20x50 FFP MOAR to the 4-32x50 FFP MIL-R and don’t regret the change at all.

I never really had issues with eye box on 2.5-20, but found the low end reticle too small in FFP version.
Are you sure its not Mil C because I've never seen it offer in Mil R

amassi

WKR
That would be for the sfp model.

I'm curious about the first focal, and at what magnification the reticle subtensions start to become visible and usable

I know at 4x you can't really see the hash marks but only a faint cross hair

For me the reticle was useable without illumination at around 6x in the ffp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: WKR