Nightforce FFP Vs SFP

huntsd

WKR
I am in the market for either an NXS 22x or NX8 20x nightforce. While hunting my scopes are zoomed all the way in for long shot and all the way out when still hunting/tracking.

I am leaning towards a SFP as I am worried about the FFP cross airs not being thick enough on the low power settings to see. However, I am slightly worried about the SFP being too thick as well...

Does anyone have feedback? Much appreciated

inkedspot

FNG
I just received my NXS 2.5-10x42. I have been using NX8 2.5-20x50 and can appreciate your exact concern. The NX8 reticle is fine enough that until you get to 6x or 8x power it is to thin for my old eyes to make out very well. The NXS 2nd Focal Plane retical is clear on all powers.

If you dont think you will need FFP scope for hunting purposes I think the NXS is a great hunting scope with the reticle very easy to see.

OP
huntsd

huntsd

WKR
I just received my NXS 2.5-10x42. I have been using NX8 2.5-20x50 and can appreciate your exact concern. The NX8 reticle is fine enough that until you get to 6x or 8x power it is to thin for my old eyes to make out very well. The NXS 2nd Focal Plane retical is clear on all powers.

If you dont think you will need FFP scope for hunting purposes I think the NXS is a great hunting scope with the reticle very easy to see.
thanks, I am more worried about the reticle being too big on full power with the SFP. How does the Nx8 fair on full power in ffp?

inkedspot

FNG
Nx8 at full power is fine in my opinion. I normally only use 6-10x when hunting. For me the 20x is only used when setting my zero. If nobody else jumps on here with a photo of it, I will try and take a picture through the NXS as well as one of my NX8s tonight at 20x so you can see what the reticles looks like.

I am also a SFP guy. I have a 5.5-22x56 NXS and a 4-32x50 NX8. Love both rifle scopes. If I had to pick one, it would be the NXS.

I have 2 SFP NF scopes and one NX8 20x that is the FFP in MOAR reticle. When on low magnification the reticle is pretty small, but using the illumination it becomes a really nice small crosshair to aim with.

If you have any chance to handle them I’d suggest that, I like both options. My FFP scope is on a rifle I plan to use more on targets and coyotes. My SFP are a 4x16 on my main big game rifle, and a 3x10 on a 350 legend I will use for white tails.

Sled

WKR
I was in the same boat and selected a scope with a reticle that didn't work for me on the higher magnification. There are better ffp reticles for what you want to do. That said, if they have illumination or some wide bars you'll do fine at low mag. Sfp fixed all of that but you need to know your subtensions or just use the correct magnification for 1:1, which is usually your highest mag.

I have a 3.5-15 NXS. I often run it at 15 power. But I don’t have any issue at full power. One of the reason I like sfp is the reticle remains the same size no matter the power.
What power do you run? Any issue with the reticles at full power?