NM Unit 34 ELK

Dom

FNG
Hey guys I got an elk hunt Oct 6-10 never hunted there for elk. I hunted Muleys last year south of weed. Did see some cows but only once. Any pointers, canyons, water holes or direction would be very very appreciated! Please PM me with info. Thanks!

Jd259

WKR
Really? 1 day as a member and your asking for water holes and canyons??? Good luck....

OP
D

Dom

FNG
I need all the luck I can get! Honestly I’ve been hunting elk for years in unit 13 if someone asked me for help I would give it. Call me stupid but I call it generous! I love hunting and I know I’m not alone! I’m not at all stingy with info and I’m betting some of you are not as well. I may be new to this site but not at all a newbie to hunting elk. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:

Bob92057

FNG
Boots on the ground. Plenty of time to scout. A unit 34 tag is a hard draw. Hope you make the best of the tag.

rbljack

WKR
Your only about 3 hours away from Cloudcroft NM. My advice to you is to head to area 34 and do some scouting. I've been trying to draw 36 for 5 years now (low odds being out of state), and no luck. But with that said.....I've made a handful of trips out there (6 hour drive) and have hiked around in a few areas to learn them. Was out there last weekend in fact. Saw 6 bulls. Largest group of elk was about 26. Elk weren't bugling much, and they have had plenty of rain...so water is plentiful. Bulls were starting to group up with the cows, but they aren't super aggressive yet. Because your hunt is the 6-10th, my guess is there still may be some rut/bugling activity at that time, which is to your advantage. Get out there in the next weekend or two and learn an area, talk to some locals, etc. Good luck! And I have to agree with Bob above....you need to make the most of that tag...they are hard to draw, and there are some BIG bulls.

Last edited: