No Pack Knowledge

bmicek

WKR
New to the page and I have thumbed through the forums but to be quite honest, I’m still a bit lost on choosing a pack.

I live in western Kansas and have really only hunted whitetail. There aren’t any stores near me to try any packs on without making a long drive and even then, I’m skeptical that a salesman is going to help me pick the right pack anyway.

So I am looking for a 3000-3500 size pack but that’s the extent of my knowledge. I see mystery ranch and Kifaru mentioned very often so I’ve been eyeing those. Plan to use it for elk/mule deer hunts in the future, likely 3-5 day hunts. But I also think I could use it for whitetails hunting Kansas public land and packing them out as well if I choose the right pack.

I’m a small framed guy as well at about 5’8” 155lbs.

If anything, just looking for any tips/pointers you would recommend for a new guy looking for his first pack. Likely going to be looking for a used pack to save a little extra money if that puts me in a higher quality pack for a reasonable price.

brsnow

WKR
If you are looking for 3-5 days and don’t have backcountry experience, a slightly bigger bag might be a benefit.

OP
B

bmicek

WKR
If you are looking for 3-5 days and don’t have backcountry experience, a slightly bigger bag might be a benefit.

What would be the benefit of a slightly bigger bag? I still plan to buy quality hunting apparel and also be with 1-2 other hunters as well. So my hopes is I will have lighter weight, higher quality gear so I didn’t have to over pack. But maybe that’s not the reason for needing a slightly bigger pack.

Beckjhong

WKR
Bigger pack because you’ll pack your fears. You won’t know what you don’t need until you’ve made some trips. Rent/borrow a pack and/or do some backpacking trips this summer. This will give you a better idea of what size and features you’re looking for.

Kotaman

WKR
The benefit of a slightly bigger pack is that they come in handy if you happen to kill something and have to pack it and your gear.

Many of the new packs go into daypack mode so well, it’s almost crazy NOT to carry a larger pack than you think you need. The Stone Glacier 5900 is a prime example. In daypack mode, it is the size of a 3000 ci pack but morphs into a 5900 ci pack when you need it. Go bigger, you won’t regret it.

brsnow

WKR
What would be the benefit of a slightly bigger bag? I still plan to buy quality hunting apparel and also be with 1-2 other hunters as well. So my hopes is I will have lighter weight, higher quality gear so I didn’t have to over pack. But maybe that’s not the reason for needing a slightly bigger pack.
Takes awhile to work through what you do and don’t need.

Austink47

WKR
My advice is to focus on getting a good frame, like a Kifaru or SG. Then you can buy sell or trade bags as you figure out what works for you. It just gives you a lot of versatility. You might end up with a bag for packing climbing stands around and one for western hunting.

I'm good with an MR Sawtooth (2745CI) with the Hunting Day Lid (700CI) for 3 and even 5 days depending on weather. The day lid has its own shoulder straps, so it can be used as a minimalist day pack by itself.

However, I do agree with previous posts. A slightly larger pack might be the way to go for you. I would suggest a look at the MR Metcalf.

Last edited:
OP
B

bmicek

WKR
Do any of you have an opinion on a Mystery Ranch Marshal or Metcalf? I see on their website they have a good price on the 2019 models.

Do any of you have an opinion on a Mystery Ranch Marshal or Metcalf? I see on their website they have a good price on the 2019 models.
FYI, Mystery Ranch's 2019 closeout packs are based on the now obsolete Guide Light frame. Their new packs use the updated Guide Light "MT" frame. The main improvement between the two generations is in the belt design.

I had an older (non-MT frame) Marshall but was never quite pleased with the fit and ended up selling it after a year. Pack fit is highly subjective though; the older Mystery Ranch frame may fit you just fine. I'm now using a Kifaru Duplex Hunter and have been very happy with it. The Kifaru's oversized lumbar pad helps the pack fit securely on my skinny, no-ass-at-all body (5'8" 130 lbs).

OP
B

bmicek

WKR
FYI, Mystery Ranch's 2019 closeout packs are based on the now obsolete Guide Light frame. Their new packs use the updated Guide Light "MT" frame. The main improvement between the two generations is in the belt design.

I had an older (non-MT frame) Marshall but was never quite pleased with the fit and ended up selling it after a year. Pack fit is highly subjective though; the older Mystery Ranch frame may fit you just fine. I'm now using a Kifaru Duplex Hunter and have been very happy with it. The Kifaru's oversized lumbar pad helps the pack fit securely on my skinny, no-ass-at-all body (5'8" 130 lbs).
I appreciate that tip. I’ll continue to look around some more. Feel like ive learned a lot in the short couple days of research I’ve been doing so I appreciate all the help you all have given me.

Rokwiia

WKR
In my opinion, size matters. Oftentimes, the weight penalty is negligible in which case I believe it makes more sense to go with the larger one. It will compress to the same size as a smaller volume bag when the space isn't needed.

My Seek Outside 6,300 weighs the same as the Peregrine 3,500. If you find you want different side pouches, then I would have a custom SO backpack made.

There is no circumstance that I'd carry the Peregrine when I can carry the Fortress 6,300 for the same weight. It's very easy to underestimate the gear you will bring especially if you're new to backpacking.

One other option, albeit a more expensive approach, is to get a larger backpack, like the 4,800 or 6,300, than separately buy a Peregrine bag that can be swapped in and out as your trip need changes.

A time-tested saying equally applies to bag size--"I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."

New to the page and I have thumbed through the forums but to be quite honest, I’m still a bit lost on choosing a pack.

I live in western Kansas and have really only hunted whitetail. There aren’t any stores near me to try any packs on without making a long drive and even then, I’m skeptical that a salesman is going to help me pick the right pack anyway.

So I am looking for a 3000-3500 size pack but that’s the extent of my knowledge. I see mystery ranch and Kifaru mentioned very often so I’ve been eyeing those. Plan to use it for elk/mule deer hunts in the future, likely 3-5 day hunts. But I also think I could use it for whitetails hunting Kansas public land and packing them out as well if I choose the right pack.

I’m a small framed guy as well at about 5’8” 155lbs.

If anything, just looking for any tips/pointers you would recommend for a new guy looking for his first pack. Likely going to be looking for a used pack to save a little extra money if that puts me in a higher quality pack for a reasonable price.
I was in your same shoes. I used an old military backpack and when i was 3 hunts in i realized there was better. I have used kuiu pro lt 4000 gear back w a meat shelf, its exceptional and around/under 4 lbs. Feel free to use this code for your purchase with $50 off. Click the link and they will email you a checkout code. Have a good one,

also i hunt on my families land in nortwest kansas - norton/phillipsburg/logan...where you located?