Non Big 3 Bino's.... What is everyone using?

Rich M

WKR
Did you read the thread. I am not trying to save up. I am saying that I am finding there are equally as good bino's at lower costs and in some case better than the big 3. I know about and have had all 3. I am looking outside these.
We hung on every word.

Even the mighty Vortex Diamonback binocular has reviews that say they are as good as Swaro and Zeiss... LOL! Enjoy your search.

On a serious note - Look into the birding world and see what they like. Not sure you'll get low light abilities, but those folks want optical clarity.

TX_Diver

WKR
Not sure what Kowa offers in that magnification range but don't rule out Kowa's if they have something that fits what you want. Currently have Kowas and SLCs at home and optically I'm hard pressed to see a major difference.

JGRaider

WKR
If it weren't for the fact that the Vortex UHD's are in the SLC HD price range I may try a pair. 99% of the time people (including myself) will choose Swaro over Vortex as it's pretty much a no brainer.. Seems you'll also get hammered on resale with the UHD's.

Jo83ben

FNG
I’ve heard the Steiner HX are phenomenal but have yet to find much info or detailed reviews on them. I was in your boat a bit ago and ended up doing SLC’s in 10x42 Still unsure on them (they’re great, but I’ve heard the meoptas are like 95% of the SLC’s for less money. Especially if you get the Cabelas branded ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

golfbum

WKR
I'M SO GLAD SOMEONE SAID THIS. Yes, yes and YES. I used to use them, until I experienced a 100% rate of failure on everything I bought. No more for this guy!

what failed? My sample size is pretty small but I have loved the optics I have from vortex.

with that said I haven’t really used them much as I have always chanced alpha glass but after being let down by a pair of Slc’s and an ats (no issues, just not any better then stuff for half the price to my eyes) I’m currently rethinking all my glass. I picked up a razor spotter that is amazing especially for the price I paid and I have a set of Japan 10x42 razors that I can’t tell a bit of difference from my 2020 model Slc’s.

I also am looking very hard at meopta products........

what failed? My sample size is pretty small but I have loved the optics I have from vortex.

with that said I haven’t really used them much as I have always chanced alpha glass but after being let down by a pair of Slc’s and an ats (no issues, just not any better then stuff for half the price to my eyes) I’m currently rethinking all my glass. I picked up a razor spotter that is amazing especially for the price I paid and I have a set of Japan 10x42 razors that I can’t tell a bit of difference from my 2020 model Slc’s.

Between me and my buddies we have all had multiple vortex pieces of glass and with about 10 pieces of glass I think only one hasn’t gone back for work. That said, they have taken care of the problems so far except for on a razor spotter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nobody

WKR

All scopes were mounted without loctite on the screws, torqued with a Wheeler Fat Wrench.

1. Crossfire ii: Mounted on 50 Caliber Muzzleloader, lasted 4 shots and the erector system broke and was rattling around inside. 4 shots, total.
2. Crossfire ii: Mounted on another Muzzleloader, fogged in the middle of a hunt. Had been shot 6 times total.
3. Diamondback (regular): Reticle rotated about 30 degrees while sighting in a Remington 700 270. Lasted less than one box of ammo. Re mounted 40 year old Leupold M8 6 Power with friction turrets and dialed it right back in.
4. Diamondback HP (discontinued since this happened): Lasted 3 shots on a 6.5 creedmoor, and the bdc reticle spun about 150 degrees inside and the parallax correction knob stripped and came loose.
5. Viper HST: Belongs to brother in law, there were 2 of them. One was killed first shot on a 300 win mag, one died after about 2 boxes on his 6.5 creedmoor.
6. Diamondback Binos: Focus knob stripped, but only from one barrel on my wife's first hunting trip (they're her binos)
7. Diamondback Spotter: Fogged on the first hunt I took it on, on opening morning, on a limited entry elk hunt in Utah.

Yup, I have been extremely disappointed. I won't spend a penny on their stuff anymore. Their warranty doesn't reimburse me if I miss an elk, and I don't care about a guarantee if their optics fail on a hunt and inhibit my ability to have success.

golfbum

WKR
Wow. That isn’t very promising!!!

I to would move on!

I would have to think you a rare case or they wouldn’t be in business let alone growing each year.

Who knows if it will hold up, but I just got a gen 1 razor 85 and it’s better then the my swaro ats 65 was. The ats was a huge let down for the price!

Thanks for the feedback

OP
OCHO505

OCHO505

Lil-Rokslider
Not a defender of Vortex but if I get anything it’s gonna be razor line in bino or the viper stuff in scopes. Anything else it’s not worth the risk and the reticle isn’t in the glass from what I understand on stuff like diamond back scopes. If I get anything lower price scopes Burris is the way to go imo.

My Viper scopes are only on 6.5 and not 300 and that could be the difference.

I have had the Razor HD & UHD never had any issues and same with my Viper PST. But no experience with the lower end stuff.

Still good information for all to keep in mind thanks

WKR
Absolutely blown away by my Maven's, I'll be replacing my spotting scope this summer with an S1.A. They all hang with stuff that costs 2-3 times as much without breaking a sweat, and they build the Only Made in the USA binocular on the market. Proud to support them!
Made in Japan, assembled in US.

If I were looking at purchasing non big 3 binos, I would include Sig and Tract to the list (Tract is a new sponsor here).

OP
OCHO505

OCHO505

Lil-Rokslider
If I were looking at purchasing non big 3 binos, I would include Sig and Tract to the list (Tract is a new sponsor here).
That’s the kind of info I’m looking for stuff I have no or limited info on and is still of high quality

That’s the kind of info I’m looking for stuff I have no or limited info on and is still of high quality
There is a review/comparison of Sigs here on Rokslide you should look at. Additionally, Tract uses Schott glass, their 8x binoculars I looked through in low light conditions were quite impressive. This is why I mention both.

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
If I was looking for 12x50 I would look closely at Meopta. They are heavy but they have excellent glass and they are built like a tank.

Hoodie

WKR
Meostar HDs are fantastic. I had the 12x50 and loved them but they were just a little too heavy. Currently using 10x42 Nikon Monarch HGs and they are great too. The only real difference I could speak to is the Meoptas control CA just a little better. Monarchs seem slightly brighter to me. The FOV on the Nikons is also tough to beat.

Both are better to my eyes than the chinese Razor HD. No experience with the Japanese models. I tried the 12x50 Razor HD before the Meostar and the CA was too much for me. Which is a shame because that's about as light as a 12x50 gets.