Non resident Archery elk

Hello,

I’m a Canadian citizen looking to do an archery elk hunt is the USA. Is there a state or states that are easier than others to get a tag? Do I have to be drawn or is there an opportunity for over the counter in a certain state? Thanks for any information given I truly appreciate it!

well_known_rokslider

Lil-Rokslider
Greetings, friend. You'll find that the users on this site are far more likely to offer assistance and advice when your post, first off, shows that you've put a decent amount of your own time into researching first, and then ask very specific questions where needed. The answers to the questions you asked can be found with some quick searches around the site. Cliffsnotes version, each state has a different process. Your first steps should be to go to each state's hunting/fishing department's website. They all have a guides for how the process works. Cheers

He’s just looking for a starting point. Do you really want him to research 8 state’s license systems before asking for just a little help. This site has gone downhill with this crap.

Robinson… start by looking at Montana, Idaho, and Colorado.

Go to the State Wildlife Departments for the States you are interested in. Their sites will have most the information you need to apply for the Tags in their respective States. Each State is different. Spend some time in here utilizing the search menu and you will find answers to many of your questions. Basically the same thing response as "well_known_rokslider" responded with. No one is going to hold you hand and walk you through the process. There are phenomenal Elk in Canada. I recommend you going that route first.

gabenzeke

WKR
Greetings, friend. You'll find that the users on this site are far more likely to offer assistance and advice when your post, first off, shows that you've put a decent amount of your own time into researching first, and then ask very specific questions where needed. The answers to the questions you asked can be found with some quick searches around the site. Cliffsnotes version, each state has a different process. Your first steps should be to go to each state's hunting/fishing department's website. They all have a guides for how the process works. Cheers
He's Canadian. It's Cole's Notes up there. :)

Op- try Colorado, Idaho, Utah, Montana for the most accessible tags in terms of availability.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Hello,

I’m a Canadian citizen looking to do an archery elk hunt is the USA. Is there a state or states that are easier than others to get a tag? Do I have to be drawn or is there an opportunity for over the counter in a certain state? Thanks for any information given I truly appreciate it!
Try searching some key words too. I am sure this question has been asked a few (hundred) times.

Colorado is the go to for OTC elk, just be sure to read this thread to get a feel for it.

Utah has OTC tags too but the areas are usually not the best or they are spike only.

Idaho has them if you can get through the system, they go on sale in December for 2024 season.

If you want to hunt cow elk there are a lot of easy to draw tags with no points in most states I would think.

Honestly, one of the best ways to begin narrowing down data and suggestions is to know your budget.

i.e. ~$10-20k you could be looking at landowner tags (New Mexico, Utah). <$2k you'll probably be draw dependent (Montana, Idaho, or Colorado).

NE FLORIDA in a small town called Palatka
Hello,

Colorado is OTC archery and Rifle but it can and most likely will be crowded. It's to late to buy a PP in colorado also but I think Wyoming you still can not sure.

I would look into buying a PP in a few state and try to get a good draw hunt when u decide you want to hunt. I don't know a hole lot about the system or elk hunting it's all new to me. Might try looking back threw some thread on here Lots and Lots of good information.

OP
Robinsonc14
Greetings, friend. You'll find that the users on this site are far more likely to offer assistance and advice when your post, first off, shows that you've put a decent amount of your own time into researching first, and then ask very specific questions where needed. The answers to the questions you asked can be found with some quick searches around the site. Cliffsnotes version, each state has a different process. Your first steps should be to go to each state's hunting/fishing department's website. They all have a guides for how the process works.

OP
Robinsonc14
just felt it was a simple question that someone could answer for me instead of spending a bunch of time figuring it out for myself. Isnt that what a forum is for? If you had a plumbing or electrical problem in your house would you spend hours researching the problem or just call a plumber or electrician for there input since they’re way more knowledgeable and will pin point the solution right away? If you think someone knows the answer to your problem why wouldn’t you ask first? Sorry if I annoyed you in any way. Wasn’t my intent

Colorado is actively reducing over the counter opportunity but it's unlikely you would not be able to get a tag. I believe Idaho is first come-first served with quotas. Montana you have to apply for a general license. Wyoming will take several years of applying. You can buy a landowner tag in New Mexico or apply with probably low odds of drawing.

If you don't have a large budget, Colorado is probably the best option. And one of the only options where you can reliably just buy a tag.

Sherman

WKR
just felt it was a simple question that someone could answer for me instead of spending a bunch of time figuring it out for myself. Isnt that what a forum is for? If you had a plumbing or electrical problem in your house would you spend hours researching the problem or just call a plumber or electrician for there input since they’re way more knowledgeable and will pin point the solution right away? If you think someone knows the answer to your problem why wouldn’t you ask first? Sorry if I annoyed you in any way. Wasn’t my intent
You could have avoided all the blow-back by creating your account as a woman. Dudes would have lined up to give you help.

I recently got put on a 30 day Rokslide timeout for calling this out on another thread in a not-so-polite manner.

Good luck, bud.

You didn't do anything wrong.

It's just that people are slowly (about 15 years too late ) realizing that every time they help someone they are cutting their own throat.

Elk, mule deer, and pronghorn hunting have gone from a way of life, to basically a once in a lifetime event.

Points systems in the teens, and 20's means once in a life time. If ever.

Random draws mean maybe once or twice, maybe never.

OTC means good luck, bring some business cards - you're gonna meet lots of people.

This board, and the others like it are main reasons for this state of affairs, along with the "look at me" social platforms.

Western US hunting is saturated. There's no more room. The pie has been sliced so thin, there's nothing left in the pie tin. Yet the outdoor whores are still selling crumbs and the knife scratches in the tin.

If most of the people who cut their teeth chasing elk around the mountain can no longer draw a tag.......why would help some stranger to ruin the odds even further.

Just makes no sense.

well_known_rokslider

Lil-Rokslider
You weren’t being annoying and that was why my intention was to be polite but realistic. This forum and it users can be very helpful if engaged a certain way. Knowing that is valuable. The fact of the matter is, it was not a simple question. A more accurate comparison than your plumbing/electrical one would be it’s like asking someone what stock to buy. That knowledge requires work and is hard earned.

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
Robinson, you question was a good one, and very appropriate. It never hurts to ask! Others have posted some good information regarding the states above. You may also want to check out or subscribe to sites like Go Hunt to read about specific areas within states to understand the draw process as well as OTC opportunities. Those sites can really help you understand various areas. Also, there are some podcasts out there with helpful information. Just do a search for draw odds, over the counter opportunities, etc... you might find some helpful information there as well, especially once you narrow it down to a state/area you would like to hunt.