Non-resident spring bear hunt 2022

EdP

WKR
You didn't say if your were wanting a DIY hunt or outfitted. Outfitted spring black bear hunts using pack stock tend to be about 1/2 the cost of an elk/mule deer hunt but provide a similar experience IMO. Much of northern Idaho has two tag units that a non-res can get OTC for $41.50 each (2019 price). That's two bears for under $84 and there is a high percentage of color phase bears. The outfitters are using bait sites so DIY is much more difficult. A buddy and I went in 2019 and had a blast. We came home with 3 bears and he didn't hunt after the first of 5 hunting days.

dplumlee12

Lil-Rokslider
For the locals in southern Idaho on here I will be doing some scouting for a mule deer trip in the sawtooth area in may so I went ahead and bought a bear tag to use while I’m there. Question I have is should I buy a wolf tag too or am I good without one? Didn’t know how the population was in that area of wolves. TIA
I'll likely be doing a scouting trip for elk in the same area in the summer. If you want to share scouting info PM me.

Come up to SE AK, it’s a different world hunting these huge coastal black bears. Very good odds and a totally unique hunt.

I'd like to know what unit up there has good odds'? The fact you have to draw as a NR for pretty much all of SE AK with ODDS getting close to sheep percentages just sucks! Another awesome hunt that went to shit.

You didn't say if your were wanting a DIY hunt or outfitted. Outfitted spring black bear hunts using pack stock tend to be about 1/2 the cost of an elk/mule deer hunt but provide a similar experience IMO. Much of northern Idaho has two tag units that a non-res can get OTC for $41.50 each (2019 price). That's two bears for under $84 and there is a high percentage of color phase bears. The outfitters are using bait sites so DIY is much more difficult. A buddy and I went in 2019 and had a blast. We came home with 3 bears and he didn't hunt after the first of 5 hunting days.

So OTC I can buy whenever for spot and stalk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Just looking for some guidance, I’m from Florida and growing up fishing and spearfishing for 30 years, my GPS has thousands of fishing spots in the Atlantic that I wouldn’t share with any strangers. But I get asked all the time by tourists and newbies for good spots. I don’t give them my spots but I least give them some tips and put them in the area or what fish are moving that time of year. Not looking for anyone’s honey hole but just some guidance. Thanks in advance
You being in Florida and the first responder being a d!ck, I’d suggest hunting NC for black bear.. over-the-counter tags, out of state will cost you roughly $1k biggest F-N black bears in the lower 48… you want a honey hole, pm me. NC is probably the most underrated states out there for all F&G

jpiazza91

FNG
Montana is fun area to bear hunt. While grizzlies aren't everywhere (obviously), you do have to be aware they are around the GYE and Northern Continental divide area in decent size populations.

Trap

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have to hire a guide in Alaska for the bear hunt?
Not for black bear I did 4 diy black bear hunts up there . We went every couple of years our area went from otc to draw with difficult odds. F&&&&& social media 😂. The hunts too much work for a black bear on your own anyways lol we just did it because we loved being up there. If I ever go again I would hire transporter or go guide anyways. There is no way the hunt is worth the draw odds imho way too many awesome otc opportunities in the lower 48. Alaska is huge so I am sure there are amazing otc areas still to be had but just not in our old spot . The draw in that area is just stupid

mylsuhat

Lil-Rokslider
I am planning a spot & stalk spring bear trip with 2 (maybe 1) friends now. We're experienced backcountry hunters but green as they come for spring bear. We're looking into North Central ID and Western MT but have not narrowed it down. Looking at the maps is just overwhelming lol. Not looking for pin drops or anything but anyone, feel free to PM me with some tips and tactics!

sneaky

"DADDY"
I am planning a spot & stalk spring bear trip with 2 (maybe 1) friends now. We're experienced backcountry hunters but green as they come for spring bear. We're looking into North Central ID and Western MT but have not narrowed it down. Looking at the maps is just overwhelming lol. Not looking for pin drops or anything but anyone, feel free to PM me with some tips and tactics!
Spot and stalk? Go to MT. Baiting in Idaho and running with hounds are how most bears are killed. Neither of those are legal in MT

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Spot and stalk? Go to MT. Baiting in Idaho and running with hounds are how most bears are killed. Neither of those are legal in MT

Going to be hounds in MT going forward. I don’t think the regs are out yet, there will be some limitation in grizzly zones but this spring will have hounds.

Reactions: WCB

sneaky

"DADDY"
Going to be hounds in MT going forward. I don’t think the regs are out yet, there will be some limitation in grizzly zones but this spring will have hounds.
Yeah, I saw where they passed the reg for hounds in MT after I posted. Still don't have to compete with baiters though, so that will still have an impact.

Yeah, I saw where they passed the reg for hounds in MT after I posted. Still don't have to compete with baiters though, so that will still have an impact.

How much of an impact do you think baiters have on spot and stalk? Where do you recommend going to get the furthest away from bait? Just off the beaten path?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

270flat

FNG
Not for black bear I did 4 diy black bear hunts up there . We went every couple of years our area went from otc to draw with difficult odds. F&&&&& social media 😂. The hunts too much work for a black bear on your own anyways lol we just did it because we loved being up there. If I ever go again I would hire transporter or go guide anyways. There is no way the hunt is worth the draw odds imho way too many awesome otc opportunities in the lower 48. Alaska is huge so I am sure there are amazing otc areas still to be had but just not in our old spot . The draw in that area is just stupid
I agree! Social media has ruined lots of fishing, hunting and backpacking spots!

EdP

WKR
There are outfitters deep in the backcountry baiting bears in Idaho. I've hunted with one. Buddy and I had a great time but I think you could have trouble with a DIY spot and stalk trying to compete with baits.

WCB

WKR
I wouldn't worry about hounds too much if you get back off the roads or are back country camping. Now if you are hunting lower open logging roads etc. maybe.