Non-stick frying pans

How long does a non-stick pan last in your home?

• That goal is way too aggressive for us

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • A few cooking sessions

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One week

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One month

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Maybe a year

Votes: 48 37.2%
  • Gave up, went back to cast iron

Votes: 58 45.0%
  • Over a year

Votes: 19 14.7%

• Total voters

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
We have some Zwilling/JA Henkles and they are pretty fine. 6-7 years old and no issues. Like someone said, no metal utensils and hand wash but other than that we are pretty tough on them and they are still in great shape.

OP
menhaden_man
No dishwasher, no PAM, no sharp kitchen utensils, NO HIGH TEMPERATURES - and they’ll last forever.

We have Anolon Advanced Home and are very happy with them.
I know the rules... finally got my wife up to change her ways but then the in-laws came and we’re going nuts on them!

def90

WKR
I use stainless steel, carbon steel, and cast iron pans. If you are getting a short life span out of non stock pans you are either running them way too hot (I never have to run my pans higher than medium on my stove) or you are using metal utensils on them.

Last edited:

GSPHUNTER

WKR
cast iron has been around forever for a good reason. Proper care it will outlive you and your kids. I love mine. 8,10,12' and a flat skillet. Al I use to clean it is salt and a little veg. oil.

Wrench

WKR
The other beautiful thing about cast and carbon is that you can use a restaurant quality spatula and never worry.....and all you need is water to clean it up.

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
I have one cast iron pan that we bought 25+ years ago, still use it to this day. My wife insists on using the latest non-stick garbage and every couple of months ends up throwing them out.

Wvroach

WKR
Cast iron for Most stuff we have some granite stone nonstick pans for the last 2 years ish and they have done well, as above not dishwasher and no metal on them. They seem to last better than previous Teflon pans we have owned.

CAST IRON. Simmer water in it and clean with hot hot water in the sink, then I dry it and get it hot on the stove again and wipe canola oil into it pretty much every time I clean it. After doing this for a week it my skillet is slicker than any non stick ive used.

Just got two cast dutch ovens for christmas and i do the same for them, use these three items for pretty much all our cooking

Holocene

WKR
Non-stick frying pans are like polyurethane floors. They look great on day one, but get worse and worse after that. You can never touch them up.

Cast-iron (and black steel) are like a tung oil floor. They look good on day one, get better with time, and can always be touched up.

With the right technique, a stainless Vollrath pan can be used for most anything and doesn’t stick. Get the pan hot, use ample fat, etc. I even use one for eggs these days.

OH->CO

FNG
You also can not use any aerosol on a non-stick. This means you can not put "pam" or it will ruin. Don't try making your non-stick more non-sticky

robtattoo

WKR
Cast iron & carbon steel all the way. I've had so many non stick frying pans over the years it's not even funny. I wanna cook in the thing, not pamper it like a freaking baby. I want to be able to get it glowing hot if needed. Throw it in the oven. I want to wash it like a normal grown ass man, not use some special treatment. I want to use lard. Bacon fat. Various oils. PAM spray if i feel like it! I want my eggs to cook evenly & steaks to brown from edge to edge, not just in the middle. I want to use PROPER utensils, not plastic crap. I don't want it to warp after 6 months so the damn thing won't sit level because of the high spot in the center.

And yes. My cast iron gets washed. With dawn. And a pan scrub. And you know what? I still have to chase fried eggs to the edge to pick them up. On my stainless spatula.

OMB

WKR
I have three ceramic pieces by Green Pan, and they've been going strong for over a year. As mentioned above- use wooden utensils, hand wash and always keep out of any machine. Ceramic helps avoid all the cancer causing chemicals in Teflon and other petroleum derivatives too
We got the full set for our wedding registry and have been pretty happy with them. Gas range so I try to keep the temp low, which can be a struggle for my other half, but I've also found tossing my cleaning pads every month or so seems to get better cleaning results.

I keep a few non sticks around for extra pans for my cooking impaired wife and Step daughter to cook eggs in, we get them from Costco in a 3 pack every year or two depending on how fast they destroy them. I typically use cast iron. A big lodge skillet and a lodge griddle I got at Walmart 15 years ago when I was a little poorer are always on the stove. They took a long time to get good and are now pretty good from being used daily. I’m weird and have made it a mission to use them until they are really good. Those type of new rough cast skillets take a ton of time to get good and are probably why people lose interest quickly. I have a few old grislwald and wagners that are like mirrors and are amazing. I recently gave my daughter a 100 year old cast iron skillet that is glass smooth since she has shown interest in cooking and was disappointed with her new cheap cast iron skillet. She gets a kick out of how great it is to cook on something so old and works so well. I would suggest either hunting down some old good stuff at garage sales etc or paying the premium price for a new milled smooth new cast iron skillet which look really nice right out of the box. Either way, they’ll last you a lifetime and cook so much better than the best non stick. That said, if you are set on non stick, Costco price on a three pack every year or so isn’t bad.

Zappaman

WKR
Cast Iron lasts... generations. -and kept seasoned have ALWAYS been the FIRST non-stick pan ;)

My set (all US made, all over 70 years old) was acquired from several estate sales over years here in Kansas- they used to be $10, now they go for hundreds at some sales- insane!

I cook (at least) 5 nights a week (no restaurants within 20 miles of home- thankfully) in my 12" skillet that never leaves the cooktop. I rarely clean it (because bacon grease makes great potatoes, etc. a day or two later). Just pop the 8 lb lid back on and if I need another skillet- I'll pull it out before cleaning the other so as to have that last fat I cooked in available (within a few days of course).

I'm into what I have coined "cauldron theory" as you don't always have to "clean" out something you can leave in the "pot" that will make good food (later) with what's already in it. And IF I need to take out old grease... if goes over the dog's food for that extra "flavor" she LOVES.

OP
menhaden_man
So I can't be the only cast iron guy with a mason jar of bacon grease sitting next to my stove....tell me there are others.
I'm a little more sophisticated... filter my bacon grease through a napkin and store it in the fridge. Granny used to fry chicken in bacon grease on cast iron. Mmmmmmm.

Of course a pound of bacon is now $8 and only weighs 12 ounces these days. Let's go Brandon.