Not your typical OTC Colorado Question

67bronco

FNG
Buddy and I are thinking of an OTC elk rifle hunt this fall. Im curious if there is some free site that tells about each unit like how the WY hunt planner does? Like availibilty of camping, public access etc. All ive found so far is gohunt or little advice in articles etc. The CWP website sends me to like pdf maps that don't tell anything. Maybe I hadn't navigated the CWP site correctly but thought maybe someone could point me in the right direction

OP

67bronco

FNG
that's good stuff. Hadnt come across that site yet in my searches. Thanks

Background Last year was my first western hunt. Landowner ML cow tag in NM in Dec. We found some elk and stalked a few. Got 290yds from one at fading light but I was only comfortable to 200 with an open sighted frontstuffer. I got the bug pretty bad and have been thinking about going back after one since leaving and driving home 26 hours.

He might be along shortly to add more, but basically somewhere we can set up on govt land and camp for the week safely. Not scared to get off the road but neither of us are accustomed to 11,000 feet. Just trying to find a place we can go every year or every other year and have a chance to kill something, and learn the area for when our kids get old enough to go. Not looking for record book elk, just experience, knowledge and a little meat and getaway from work for awhile.

Dave_

Lil-Rokslider
I think with toprut.com maps you can download Google earth files for a unit with a bunch of info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Mason326

FNG
Tip: Don't forget everyone else reads those regional guides, too! They can be just as bad as the internet forums as far as drawing people in.... or keeping them away!

Backyard

WKR
Tip: Don't forget everyone else reads those regional guides, too! They can be just as bad as the internet forums as far as drawing people in.... or keeping them away!
Does it really matter anymore? There's gonna be people just about anywhere a guy goes. Just go hunt and have fun learning and exploring.;)

Mason326

FNG
Depends on what you prefer. I ignored the stats on hunter numbers for a couple years and it was miserable how many people were there. Totally changed directions and applied for a unit with hardly any hunters but similar/slightly worse success ratios in that season the guide specifically said was not the best time and I'd take that experience with fewer animals any day of the year. Didn't happen though, finally tagged my first elk (cow) after bucking the elk-fest in the busy unit. Saw animals every single day, too.

One other possible tool - REI provides a mobile app for hiking, biking and trails. I've made the mistake of not realizing a popular hiking trail (to a nearby 14K'er) ran right through the canyons I was scouting/hunting. Was non-stop hikers until just after Labor Day -

bmf0713

WKR
One other possible tool - REI provides a mobile app for hiking, biking and trails. I've made the mistake of not realizing a popular hiking trail (to a nearby 14K'er) ran right through the canyons I was scouting/hunting. Was non-stop hikers until just after Labor Day -
Yeah. That rei hiking project app is awesome! Way better pics and map than onx! I use it and onX together while I’m scouting different areas.

I’m the poor bastard he’s dragging along to CO .

We’re planning on going 3rd rifle season. Main thing we need to find as of now is camping regs for the NF up there. I’ve been in NM the last 7 years and just moved to Texas, so Colorado OTC it is until we draw somewhere else. I’m assuming, without having looked yet, that dispersed camping is allowed to some extent on NF? We’re looking somewhere in the SW units and honestly I haven’t even looked to see what NF’s encompass that area. Also I’m guessing we probably need to plan on bringing tire chains for that time of year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dispersed camping is allowed on NF, along designated roads (within 300 feet, but lots of folks stretch that plenty). The dispersed camping areas are shown on the official motor vehicle use (MVU) map for each NF district. If a road is not on that map, it's NOT an official road and you can't use it legally.

I'd definitely bring chains for 3rd season. We nearly needed them for 1st rifle last year, at 9K feet.

Wow, great linked resources for the maps and hunting area info, glad a new guy like me can find them all in one place.