Nu-way propane stove for a wall tent

Mi_fiveo

WKR
I have a large woodstove for my 14x16 wall tent and it works real nice in colder weather. Finding good wood to burn was a challenge last year, mostly scrub pine where I was hunting. I’ve been looking into getting a Nu-way 4000 propane stove that I can install instead of the woodstove and vent out of the stove jack. I’d really like to hear any experience any of you have with these stoves. I tried using a standard size buddy heater last year and it was not worth using. I could only keep the temperature about 10 degrees higher than the outside temp with the buddy heater. I’m sure the big buddy heater would do better but I like the idea of venting the gasses out the roof. So let’s hear some opinions or experiences.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I had a Big Buddy heater in my 14x16 Wall Tent and it worked fine above freezing temperatures for hanging out with normal clothing, but below 30 degrees you didn't stay out of the sleeping bag too much without a coat on and your boots. The main problem was those damn Aspens burn up in about an hour or so in my large wood-burning stove. They were like balsa wood. Who is going to keep getting up every hour or two to refill the stove. This year I am going to try to use those compressed wood-bricks from Tractor Supply or other similar big box store. I think putting in about 6-8 bricks right around bedtime ought to last for about 4-6 hours. At least that is what I am going to try this year. Finding some hardwoods near camp that isn't too seasoned and split would be better along with a couple of wood-bricks. But really I don't like having to haul that much propane and dealing with the altitude issues and the oxygen sensors. The Nu-way propane is certainly an idea, but so are pellet burning stoves. Frankly, I don't want to get a new stove and damn-it I already have a stove. LOL!

I’m interested as well, seems like the last couple of years we’ve been on fire restrictions during deer season. Thankfully it wasn’t cold, just chilly in the morning.

Brendan

WKR
Have to disagree - My Nu-Way 3500 Worked great in a 10x14 Kodiak Canvas. Was sitting in the thing in my damn underwear when it was 20's rain / snow outside. If I was just looking to keep the temp up a little bit, don't even need both burners. Real cold weather and bigger tents might be a different story, but I'm a fan...

yhc

WKR
We run Nu Way stoves in Arctic Oven tents. One is 10x10 and the other 12x12...these stoves keep us plenty warm. In fact we run them low because it gets too hot even with ambient temperature in the mid 30s. I forget the exact model but both stoves are one of their smaller ones.

Regards,

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I sold my wood stove for my 14x16 wall tent and just use a two-burner tank-top propane heater (30k BTU) on top of a 40lb tank. I don't need heat while I'm sleeping, that's what my bag is for. But it sure is nice having that heat in the morning. As soon as my alarm goes off, I get up and light the lantern, the stove for hot water, and the heater, and then jump back in bed. By the time the water is boiling (steam coming out of the top) it's like a sauna in the tent. I'm sure the Nu-way is similar.

Last edited:
OP
Mi_fiveo

Mi_fiveo

WKR
I like the idea of the stove top fans for these stoves. I use one on the woodstove and it seems to help spread the heat.

Brendan

WKR
I'm sure the Nu-way is similar.

Similar, and different. The Nu-way is externally vented with a chimney, so moisture from combustion (and carbon monoxide) are vented outside. Safer, and better for drying things out. But, you need a stove jack. I have no problem leaving mine on overnight on low, as long as I have a battery powered CO detector in the tent. Mine is a 20K BTU, they do have a 28K BTU model too, but still not quite as powerful as what you're running.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Similar, and different. The Nu-way is externally vented with a chimney, so moisture from combustion (and carbon monoxide) are vented outside. Safer, and better for drying things out.

I always take a CO detector, but it's never registered any CO readings in the years I've used it. As for drying, I hang clothes on hangers hanging from my ridge pole and they dry up very quickly. I've never noticed any additional moisture in the tent from the heater. Even in 2013 when we had 15+ inches of rain over two weeks and my clothes were soaked every day, they dried out just fine.

But I don't generally hunt any of the late seasons anymore. If I did, I'd use the wood stove and my propane heater until the stove warmed up. The coldest I've used the propane heater is down to about 18. But it's money for archery season.

blackdawg

WKR
We run Nu Way stoves in Arctic Oven tents. One is 10x10 and the other 12x12...these stoves keep us plenty warm. In fact we run them low because it gets too hot even with ambient temperature in the mid 30s. I forget the exact model but both stoves are one of their smaller ones.

Regards,

Same experience, I have an 8x8 and 12x12, I have the dual burner model, low is plenty of heat, except when the alarm goes off and I start it up on high before I crawl out of the bag. I do have a small wood stove with same pipe diameter in the truck as backup if propane runs out or stove fails. I use the flat surface for heating things up. I picked up a cheap ultra light cookie sheet at dollar store for the legs to rest on. Definitely not a backpacking setup, I prefer it over my buddy heater or older flower heaters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Mi_fiveo

Mi_fiveo

WKR
They are having a 20% off sale all month. I can get the biggest one for $210 shipped. I think I’m going to have to try it out as an alternative to my wood stove.

yhc

WKR
It sure is nice to be able to roll over in your sleeping bag to get the fire going without any fuss in the morning. 👍🏻

OP
Mi_fiveo

Mi_fiveo

WKR
d46288835cd0f937b3f36677b1f241c2.jpg

Hard to beat that wood heat when it’s very cold out. Getting out of the sleeping bag to stoke the fire at 4am isn’t fun though.

OP
Mi_fiveo

Mi_fiveo

WKR
8dd8a21474b032ee1049276436031585.jpg
Received the 4000 today. I have a hard time believing this will heat a 14x16 wall tent effectively. Going to give it a try and see how it goes though. Might be ok for earlier season when you just need a little heat to take the chill out.

Pelagic

Lil-Rokslider
Keep us posted on your experiences with it vs a wood stove

OP
Mi_fiveo

Mi_fiveo

WKR
I had a chance to test it out finally. I was kind of disappointed. Outside temp was 43 degrees and after an hour on full blast, the inside temp was only 58 degrees. I expected to get more heat out of it than that.

Mosby

WKR
2 years ago, I saw a pellet stove for wall tents at the Portland show that someone had just started making. I really liked the pellet stove idea. Pellets are easy to find, relatively low cost and generate a nice amount of heat.
I am planning on going to the show again this coming year and if they are still selling that stove, I might try one.

Mosby

WKR
8dd8a21474b032ee1049276436031585.jpg
Received the 4000 today. I have a hard time believing this will heat a 14x16 wall tent effectively. Going to give it a try and see how it goes though. Might be ok for earlier season when you just need a little heat to take the chill out.

Nice looking stove.

Cylinder Stove makes an aftermarket pellet feeder for their stoves.