NX8 4-32x50 vs ATACR 4-16x42

Ckoenig

FNG
Looking for any insight from you Well Known Roksliders on the Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 vs ATACR 4-16x42. I'm at an impasse on which way to go and am hoping someone with more wisdom than myself can help nudge the ole decision maker one way or the other.

For reference the scope is going on a HCA built 7MM with Stockys VG2 stock and HCA carbon barrel. Its replacing a VX6HD 3-18x50 scope.

General consensus from what I have seen is the ATACR is an overall better scope but at my level of shooting im doubting that I will notice the difference. Overall weight and size are a negligible difference.

The one upside is see with the NX8 is the max power of 32. I dont plan to do any shooting at that power but having the option to verify shots taken or possibly avoid breaking out the spotting scope to verify an animal seems like a possible upside.

Im sure I am splitting hairs but just curious if there is something Im overlooking. Appreciate any input/help.

bpurtz

WKR
I have ATACR 5-25x56 F2 and I also have NX8 4-32x50 F2. The NX8 is 10oz lighter so that gun has become my favorite for backcountry adventures...lol.

Before I bought the NX8 I called NF customer service for their presale pitch comparison (I was considering another ATACR...)

It might be worth your time to talk with them...

Axlrod

WKR
I have the NX8 4-32 and the 5-25 Atac-r. I like the reticle on the Atac-r better, and the NX8 on max power isn't very useable. The NX8 is now on my .22 and the Atac-r is on my hunting rifle

The eye-box on the 4-32 NX8 is not the issue it is on the 2.5-20. Glass quality on the ATACR is better, but in practical terms, negligible. 90 MOA elevation on the NX 8 F1, 89 on the ATACR, 120 on the 5-25 ATACR F1 and 130 on the 4-20 ATACR F1.

IMNSHO, for what you are putting it on, the NX8 is plenty of scope, and I don't see you gaining anything that will make a difference by going with the ATACR. With that said, a short while ago, I ordered a new ATACR for a long range rifle I have.

do to the short mounting area of the NX8, you may want to mount it to a rail so you can get the most eye relief out of the set-up, as not doing so may put the scope in an undesirable position in reference to the eye-box.

I agree. I am not a “Well Known Rokslider” yet. I own 2 NXS 5.5x22x56 and 2 NX8 2.5x20x50s. The next scope I get will be the NX8 4x32x50. The price and weight difference is all I need. The variability in power range is an added bonus. Not sure where/how guys from this forum are ordering NF scopes, but I’ve responded to some guys about how to get discounted pricing. My buddy ordered the exact NX8 you’re talking about this Wednesday for $1487, delivered to his door. You can’t beat that.

DRUSS

WKR
I agree. I am not a “Well Known Rokslider” yet. I own 2 NXS 5.5x22x56 and 2 NX8 2.5x20x50s. The next scope I get will be the NX8 4x32x50. The price and weight difference is all I need. The variability in power range is an added bonus. Not sure where/how guys from this forum are ordering NF scopes, but I’ve responded to some guys about how to get discounted pricing. My buddy ordered the exact NX8 you’re talking about this Wednesday for $1487, delivered to his door. You can’t beat that.
So how do we get a discounted rate?

Following bc I’m considering the nx8 32 power vs the leupold mark 5 18 power in a 300 prc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpurtz

WKR
While I'm not doubting the possibility of this, there must be some special circumstance involved (used, refurb, open box, mistake...) since this would be around $400 below the lowest dealer sale price I've ever seen.

Scotto

WKR
Rokslide member gr8fuldoug would be someone to reach out to. Good deal from him at Camera Land NY on a new NF scope.

bpurtz

WKR
Glass quality on the ATACR is better, but in practical terms, negligible.
Pretty sure the NF CS rep told me that the glass in the ATACR and the NX8 is the same...you are correct that the optical difference is negligible...

Last edited:
If you have certain jobs, no Guard, volunteer, etc. .. it’s MSRP. But a LOT of people can get good pricing. On NEW scopes.
Everyone that lives in the Metropolis of Orofino can go to NF and get a deal if you play your cards right.
Anyone that is Military/1st Responder/LE can order direct from NF with a discount. Whether you are a Unit guy, a volunteer EMT, a secretary at the sheriffs office, wildland firefighter, National Guard, etc. All qualify.
ExpertVoice is actually the biggest discount. More than Military/1st Responder/LE. If you work, or volunteer, in ANYTHING outdoors, you can get ExpertVoice. Ski Patrol to Firefighter to an Outfitter.

I really like the 4-16 ATACR (Mil R). I’ve humped it all over the place and it’s been rock solid for a few years now. I carry it on 6x and it’s worked well for quick shots. I’d put one on my other hunting rifles too in a heartbeat.

I’ve used the 4-32 (Mil C) only a few times. It’s a really nice scope too, the zoom is nice for checking things out (didn’t have the spotter out yet). That Mil C is good…. But it’s pretty thin on lower powers on the 4-32

BjornF16

WKR
If you have certain jobs, no Guard, volunteer, etc. .. it’s MSRP. But a LOT of people can get good pricing. On NEW scopes.
Everyone that lives in the Metropolis of Orofino can go to NF and get a deal if you play your cards right.
Anyone that is Military/1st Responder/LE can order direct from NF with a discount. Whether you are a Unit guy, a volunteer EMT, a secretary at the sheriffs office, wildland firefighter, National Guard, etc. All qualify.
ExpertVoice is actually the biggest discount. More than Military/1st Responder/LE. If you work, or volunteer, in ANYTHING outdoors, you can get ExpertVoice. Ski Patrol to Firefighter to an Outfitter.
I don’t see Nightforce Optics listed on ExpertVoice

I don’t see Nightforce Optics listed on ExpertVoice
Depending on your “Affiliation” and preferences, different companies will be available to you.
They have been unavailable to backorder on ExpertVoice for a long time. Available now though

Attachments

• 71F7C206-941C-4002-A721-5F6B702D49FF.jpeg
    71F7C206-941C-4002-A721-5F6B702D49FF.jpeg
    306.7 KB · Views: 131
  • FBE90F83-BE6E-4343-8FB3-12705ED75675.jpeg
    FBE90F83-BE6E-4343-8FB3-12705ED75675.jpeg
    292.3 KB · Views: 126

carter33

WKR
I have both and if weight is a concern I would choose the NX8. If you don’t care about the weight difference I would choose the ATACR, I don’t have any complaints on the NX8 eye box but do think the parallax is just a bit finicky.

Edit: Will add that the ATACR has been around a long time and is probably one of the most proven scopes in terms of durability/reliability. NX8 may be just as good in this aspect but isn’t as proven yet with it being relatively new.

Last edited:

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty sure the NF CS rep told me that the glass in the ATACR and the NX8 is the same...difference between the two scopes is the internal mechanical components and the tube size that increase field of view in the ATACR. Nevertheless, you are correct that the optical difference is negligible...

Tube size has nothing to do with FOV. Bigger tubes do provide more room for travel though.

The ATACR and NX8 have completely different optical systems. That is a big difference.

LightFoot

WKR
I like the turret button on the ATACR 4-16x42. For hunting, you will never "need" more than 16x. The glass is better on the ATACR. On the bench, shooting groups, the 32x will be nice. In the field, it can hurt more than help. I think the 2.5-20x NX8 is a better hunting scope than the 32x.

My vote is ATACR... especially for $2100 (at eurooptic)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Following bc I’m considering the nx8 32 power vs the leupold mark 5 18 power in a 300 prc

I owed an NX8 4-32 and it drove me nuts with all the optical issues.
Short tubes with 8x erectors make for super finicky eye box and parallax, distortion and darkening above 20x is pretty bad as well.
I compared it extensively to my mk5 and there's no contest, the mk5 is way easier to get behind and much better in low light.
I honestly wouldn't buy another NX8 if they retailed for $1000