NX8 4-32x50 vs ATACR 4-16x42

OP
Ckoenig

Ckoenig

FNG
Really appreciate all the info in here. Going to give it another day or two of thought and then make a decision. Ill report back what I end up with what my thoughts are on the scope.

Honestly thought I’d come back to a few responses but you guys over delivered. Love the discussion in here guys. Thank you again.

huntnful

WKR
Really appreciate all the info in here. Going to give it another day or two of thought and then make a decision. Ill report back what I end up with what my thoughts are on the scope.

Honestly thought I’d come back to a few responses but you guys over delivered. Love the discussion in here guys. Thank you again.
The only real upside to the NX8 4-32 is checking impacts on a target with the extra magnification. Literally the only thing.

The ATACR will best it in every other category. And 16X is legit for a hunting rifle. Also the ATACR turrets are 💰. The only thing I didn't like about the ATACR is the whole rear eyepiece rotates when you zoom in or out. So the flip cover is always in different spots. But I would go ATACR over the NX8

Owned both, shot them side by side- The ATACR is better optically in a noticeable way. Same with the eyebox. Another + mark in the ATACR column is the locking elevation turret.

The only real negative for the ATACR is the rotation of the whole eyepiece for magnication zoom vs. a ring style adjustment on the NX8 (and most other scopes).

You can find a used 4-16 for close to what you will pay for a new NX8-

eoperator

WKR
For me the atacr is better on a hunting only rifle, nx8 for multi purpose rifle. Comparing atacr and nx8 side by side at the same magnification I do not see a huge difference.

ATL

FNG
I have owned and used both scopes on the same rifle. NX8 with MIL-C, ATACR with MIL-R. Liked them both. Both functioned flawlessly. Ended up keeping the ATACR.

ATACR likes:
low profile locking turret.
42 mm objective.
MIL-R reticle for my use, and matches my NXS 2.5-10x42 MIL-R.
Initially nervous about entire eye piece turning for magnification adjustment, but now prefer this feature.

ATACR dislikes:
34mm tube appears heavy, requires larger/heavier rings. Minor issue. Scopes actually weight very similar.

I have nothing against the NX8 ( would purchase again if fit a need), just preferred the ATACR for my current use.

Firestone

WKR
I agree. I am not a “Well Known Rokslider” yet. I own 2 NXS 5.5x22x56 and 2 NX8 2.5x20x50s. The next scope I get will be the NX8 4x32x50. The price and weight difference is all I need. The variability in power range is an added bonus. Not sure where/how guys from this forum are ordering NF scopes, but I’ve responded to some guys about how to get discounted pricing. My buddy ordered the exact NX8 you’re talking about this Wednesday for $1487, delivered to his door. You can’t beat that.
Where did he get that deal?

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought another NX8 direct from Nightforce. I specifically asked about the build quality between the NX8 and the ATACR and if I would be getting a more robust, reliable or dependable scope going with the heavier ATACR and their answer was a clear NO. The ATACR has additional elevation travel I didn't need and uses ED lenses throughout the optical system while only some of the glass in the NX8 are ED. They said their failure rate,which includes any product sent back for any type of repair, is less than 2% across all scope models.

In all honesty, if you want a scope that will maintain a zero and track reliably after being bumped around after a 10 hour jeep ride, thrown around by TSA or survive occassional mishandlings you will be very happy with the NX8 or any nightforce. The "issues" people bring up about the NX8 are all moot when their scopes even won't hold a zero when tipped over on a bipod.

I would have a hard time passing up a 4-16x42 MOAR ATACR at that $1700-1800 price point after what we've all learned about scope durability and resilience.

ChrisAU

WKR
I have owned and used both scopes on the same rifle. NX8 with MIL-C, ATACR with MIL-R. Liked them both. Both functioned flawlessly. Ended up keeping the ATACR.

ATACR likes:
low profile locking turret.
42 mm objective.
MIL-R reticle for my use, and matches my NXS 2.5-10x42 MIL-R.
Initially nervous about entire eye piece turning for magnification adjustment, but now prefer this feature.

ATACR dislikes:
34mm tube appears heavy, requires larger/heavier rings. Minor issue. Scopes actually weight very similar.

I have nothing against the NX8 ( would purchase again if fit a need), just preferred the ATACR for my current use.

Talley has a lot of offerings in 34mm now.

Bumping this old thread. Where is the best place to find a used ATACR? In the market for the 4-16 F1 MOAR.