Off grid cabin, anyone build one?

go_deep

WKR
Anyone every built an off grid log cabin with no power or precut lumber? Pictures if you did and as much of a story as you'd be willing to share, please.

49ereric

WKR
Like my 89 year father says running outside to outhouse isn’t fun especially in pouring rain and winter.

Interesting foundation design. Overall build Looks pretty good.

I likely would have excavated the site to level & gone with concrete pier blocks with ears to through bolt the joist into.

Benefit of your design is you can move it easily if you want to pull it and move the cabin To another location.

The OSB that you used for fascia (visible below flashing ) if you haven’t covered it yet , I’d protect that from water for longevity.

Cool
Setup

I don’t have an off grid cabin yet but I found this in the woods this summer. This area gets a lot of snow. Nice little machine storage solution , I didn’t see the actual
Cabin ( once I stumbled on his valley I left ) but I’ve found abandoned cabins before with spring boxes/wells that I’ve had dreams of reviving.

Attachments

• IMG_1259.jpeg
    IMG_1259.jpeg
    572.1 KB · Views: 152
Interesting foundation design. Overall build Looks pretty good.

I likely would have excavated the site to level & gone with concrete pier blocks with ears to through bolt the joist into.

Benefit of your design is you can move it easily if you want to pull it and move the cabin To another location.

The OSB that you used for fascia (visible below flashing ) if you haven’t covered it yet , I’d protect that from water for longevity.

Cool
Setup

I don’t have an off grid cabin yet but I found this in the woods this summer. This area gets a lot of snow. Nice little machine storage solution , I didn’t see the actual
Cabin ( once I stumbled on his valley I left ) but I’ve found abandoned cabins before with spring boxes/wells that I’ve had dreams of reviving.
This area is very remote and it’s difficult to do much of anything other than what I did, foundation wise, especially building on frozen ground. She won’t ever be moving either, it’s on a bluff 80’ above a lake. Built a few with this foundation style and it seems to work.

I have some flashing out there, I’ll be putting that on later this winter. Still plenty of work to be done but instead of that being my only focus, like last year, I’m fishing all day and doing a little work each evening. It’ll be good to go by March I’d guess. IMG_7315.jpegIMG_2264.jpeg

Alder_

Lil-Rokslider
amazing. I can't imagine ice fishing and trapping out of that thing.

Nick PM incoming

I’ve been involved in a few.

9e6207d59650e9c23d77fa0341be51f0.jpg

This one was built by my grandfather before my time. 30+ yrs later, and I’ve been helping re-doing the siding and foundation the last couple years.

3a1d99f8988c3043493a52a9ca395c9a.jpg

This one I helped my dad build. All hand logged and hand scribed.

8ecee6fba1ffe74e8109fe39bc8d501d.jpg

And this last one I built. Pre-built it in my yard, then pulled it apart and skidded it 13 miles into the mountains with snowmachine. Took several years to get it done, then I sold it!

All are true “off-grid” with no wiring or electricity at all. All built on land purchased from state of Alaska.

Wellsdw

WKR
Ever done one but I saw a cool concept I guy did on YouTube out of 2x8 lumber. I’ll post the video if I can find it. Priced the lumber after I saw it. Wasn’t as bad as I thought

mjh

FNG
My mother in laws place is off grid. Cement pad on 1/2 and lumber built. She has had it 60+ years. Spouse and I do most of the heavy lifting these days to keep it in shape. Sister in law worked over the skylights this autumn--she knows her stuff. Outhouse--handpump on well head. In laws put on steel siding and roof about 21 years ago. New windows as well. Really tightened up the place and the skeeters have a harder time getting in. Outhouse is on top of a tank that needs to be pumped out every 2 or 3 years. Seasonal cabin late April to end of October for the most part. On a lake.

Sure I have photos but what file?? Found some.

Looking at cabin from the water.

P3160307.JPG

IMG_2755.jpg

Outhouse above--the rare time we are there with snow--dock not yet in but ice was not forming just yet.

Not sure if this is end of season or early spring. Swim raft up on land and covered, hard to tell.
P3160324.JPG

Some of the interior. Sink drain to the outhouse tank. Have a wood cookstove LP stove LP fridge LP heater. One open room and then two bedrooms. For lighting we have used everything. Candles, Kerosene, Paraffin lamp oil, Colman, batteries. These are led's run off a box. Have since been replace with patio style bulbs attached to the rafters. Got tired of bring lights back and forth from the house and other camping trips.
P6130018.JPG

P6130008.JPG

Hand pump is to the right out of view.

View into the outhouse--view out the door while doing your business--perhaps a little humor while your there.....
P6130004.JPG

P6130007.JPG

P6130005.JPG

P6130006.JPG

Last edited:
PXL_20231001_201629792.jpg
Poured footings last fall and worked on it all summer, was able to sleep in it in October. 6500W solar and a pellet stove for heat. That will be enough power to run a 1/2 hsp well pump some day if I go that route. still had to go through the WI inspection process, footings, construction, insulation and electric inspections. Bought 90% of the materials from a discount lumber store as seconds, so all in including the solar system I am right at 20K for 26x32 with a loft and porch.