Off-grid trailer as basecamp

PNWGATOR

WKR
Are you asking about boondockijg/dry camping ie using a trailer in a national forest not inside of a campground or is “off-grid” a brand?

If the former, hundreds of nights hunting and fishing. If the latter, I have no clue.

What are your questions?

OP
H
Yes, I meant the concept "off-grid" , not specific to a trailer brand. Just wanted to hear some reality, don't need the sales pitch. LOL I got plenty of that at the Offroad Expo East.

Just a short run down of how you do it. Planning, prep, equipment (trailer related)....etc etc. As basic as you want or as in-depth as you want. Solar setup, generator, heat, meat storage (from the hunt), water...etc etc .

I sort of got the idea compared to dumping some money in my own plot of land. I know in reality nothing beats your own 100 acres. Just wanted to read how others do it. Is the juice worth the squeeze.

hobbes

WKR
Like most folks boondocking, I have a generator that I'll run occasionally, keeping batteries charged and if I want to run a microwave or charge phones or laptops. I have two of the bigger propane tanks for the heater, if necessary, although one tank runs for a long time. The propane also runs the fridge and the water heater. I don't keep the water heater running. I'll keep a couple bags of ice in the freezer if I think I might pack meat (antelope elk, deer, pheasants, etc. ) into the cooler. The fridge and freezer aren't really spacious.

The process is no different if you are in a campground without hookups, on the side of a F.S. road, or a remote state section in antelope county. The only thing I can think of that changes is the need for the heater to run varies depending on temp.

If I'm going to be out a while, I use the woods to do my business so I don't have full black water tank. The grey water can fill up quick, at least in my small camper, if you don't pay attention to water use. You'd be surprised how fast you can burn through water also, especially if you bring two sons with you that think there's an endless supply of water. :)

hobbes

WKR
I should add that I do all my cooking with the propane stove.

Off grid with all the amenities to keep you on the grid.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk
Actually, off grid to stay closer to where I hunt without the need to go back home and be pulled away from hunting into something that I don't want to do. The amenities offered by a camper because I can. I've done my share of back country camping and I'm at a point now that I don't have to do that every time.

Pdzoller

WKR
Got a 20’ camp trailer that sits pretty tall. If I ration my resources and utilize my environment I can stay out for a very long time. My solar system will run my refrigerator for about a week before I need to run the generator. If it’s really cold outside I use coolers. My furnace can keep my trailer warm for about two weeks on 5 gallons of propane. Again, by utilizing the environment to my advantage I can reduce consumption and waste. With 10 gallons of propane, 1 gallon of chainsaw gas and oil, 30 gallons of water and 20 gallons for my generator and pickup, I can comfortably stay at least a month. Probably longer.

Wapiti1

WKR
Yes. Most seasons I camp with a 19 foot trailer. Solar panels for battery tending. 2 propane tanks. Used to take a generator, but 100 watts of solar takes care of two batteries no problem. Generator only goes if I need to run the AC. I don't think the microwave has ever been used.

Only concerns are weather. Above 0 most of the time, I fill up the water tank and use the potty with no additions. 50/50 above and below, antifreeze in the potty, and water in the tank. You do need to know if your trailer is winter ready or not. Winter ready has insulated water and black holding tanks.

More below zero, antifreeze in the potty and water in jugs in the shower. Heater is left to run all day at 40F.

Figure 1.5 gallons of water a day for cooking, cleaning and drinking. I never seem to use that much, but it's my rule of thumb.

Jeremy

BFR

WKR
OK, I admit it, my idea of roughing it is boondocking in my 40’ diesel pusher. Done all the rest from sleeping under the stars in a bag on the ground and everything in between. At my age I’m getting more interested in being comfortable thank you very much.

hobbes

WKR
I need to set up with solar. I rarely stay for more than a week. I also rarely use the the microwave but the wife or kids (not really kids) like the option when they are along.

Mine is only a 19 footer and is not made to withstand freezing temps. The heater would work fine but I couldn't fill the water tank.

OP
H
Using a 40' pusher is a bit much for me. :p I wasn't sure how many people are actually hunting in this fashion. Not to mention the ability to hunt multiple areas over a longer period of time. Thanks for all the replys so far!

GSPHUNTER

WKR
OK, I admit it, my idea of roughing it is boondocking in my 40’ diesel pusher. Done all the rest from sleeping under the stars in a bag on the ground and everything in between. At my age I’m getting more interested in being comfortable thank you very much.
That a bit much. I take my Yukon XL to a Marriott as close to the hunting grounds as possible. I'm older.

Jethro

WKR
People certainly do the big camper thing. As a non-camper guy, I am amazed where people pull them. More than 1x last month in CO I was cruising some rough roads - the kind where a truck would work but atv is quicker - and next thing there is a 24+ ft camper set up. I have no details on their particular set ups, but the fact that they got the thing in there gets them a (y)

Wrench

WKR
I have an arctic fox 26x and a yamaha 2400ishc generator. I run for up to 30 days dry camping. I bring 5gals water which I have never HAD to use and 10 gallons of gas. The gas will more than last me all month and keep my xt225 full for the 5 mile a day ride up to where I dive into the bush.

I dont mess with solar because it doesn't get sunny in the mountain draws.

Best thing I've bought was a dorm clothes washer and dryer. It is 110v and just spin dries clothes. It takes about 15 minutes to wash and spin a typical week of socks, underwear and a couple shirts and a pair of pants.

An vevor diesel heater will do way more heat than the furnace for equal fuel....and can dry clothes better.

A battery powered leaf blower is one of the best add ons. Getting a fire going, drying clothes, cleaning out the trailer....blowing off the entrance...etc. don't pass a propane boot dryer either.

Wrench

WKR
People certainly do the big camper thing. As a non-camper guy, I am amazed where people pull them. More than 1x last month in CO I was cruising some rough roads - the kind where a truck would work but atv is quicker - and next thing there is a 24+ ft camper set up. I have no details on their particular set ups, but the fact that they got the thing in there gets them a (y)
That's me. My trailer has more brush marks than most trucks....but that's how we use it.

hobbes

WKR
That a bit much. I take my Yukon XL to a Marriott as close to the hunting grounds as possible. I'm older.
That's where I am for the rest of the season (birds and deer), but a Marriott is hard to find in small town MT. I may find myself in places where I can often see daylight around one edge of the door. :)

GSPHUNTER

WKR
That's where I am for the rest of the season (birds and deer), but a Marriott is hard to find in small town MT. I may find myself in places where I can often see daylight around one edge of the door. :)
Anything decent will do, sometime not so decent.