Off line maps for NL ?

Do I need off line maps for Newfoundland ? I'm driving from Gander to Millertown… which is close to where I'm hunting. The outfitter is meeting me in town, as he said I'll never find camp.

Trial153

WKR
As apposed to online maps? Let's put it this way, last two times I hunted NF I didnt even get a whiff of signal from the minute I got off the float plane.
If you want maps your going to need to down load them. If you want communication, have an in reach.
Cell signals are sparse off the highways.

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
When I hunted NF a couple of years ago the only time I had service (at camp) was one location we glassed from. It was the highest point around and I got 1 bar of LTE. Other than that they had a satellite phone in camp I called my wife on every couple of days.

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
The Gaia maps GPS app, w/ maps downloaded ahead of time, has treated me well. Still works on airplane mode to save battery life. In NL/LAB I count on never having cell service.

K

Kootenay Hunter

If it's just to find the camp....google maps offline? Otherwise, standard gps unit with topo?

mooster

WKR
Gaia off line or plane mode is perfect for saving and navigating to waypoints. It syncs with cloud for working from desktop later. The free version is adequate for most needs.