Oh Crap Gear (Backup Gear)

A few water purification tabs and a backup headlamp. Being 8 miles in with a down buck and realizing I left my headlamp at the first glassing point of the day several miles away sucks. I used to have an e lite that I carried after that, but then I realized I could have real light for a 2 oz difference. Zebra light, one in my pack and one in my bino harness for when I drop my pack. I 100% trust the 18650 zebra lights reliability and battery life. I trust myself less to not lose it out there.I have also stumbled around in the dark trying to find my headlamp in my backpack I dropped to stalk. Let me tell ya, I’m a big fan of having a good headlamp in the dark!

Karz

FNG
Extra release, tourniquet, quick clot, flashlight if not backpacking I’ll carry a sat phone since it’s HEAVY

Good thread already on the subject… Knives, headlamps, water tabs, etc seem to be the common themes.

As for what I keep in the truck that might save a hunt? Gloves/hat, boots, batteries, an extra sleep mat, spare rifle/optic, ammo. I also keep a spare sleeping bag just for by the truck. Nice to not have to unpack/repack my bag if I’m by the truck for a night. I’d like to get another range finder and cheap binos as a backup. Bottom line any critical item that can fail I like to have a backup of on an out of state trip.

Now some items (let’s say most clothing items) are unlikely to break/fail or get lost. But if your scope breaks? You are probably SOL until you get another one. That kinda guides my reasoning with how crazy I get with spare items.

An ankle brace is also on the list… I’ve got a history or rolled ankles and I rolled mine on a packout last year. Luckily it wasn’t that bad and I was able to get it done loaded up on aspirin, but a brace might have been good to have.

Last edited: