Okay, friggin’ Tikkas….

If you wanted a Tikka in a Magnum, and you reload, it would be a 300wsm.

It's the only factory magnum from Tikka that you can have room to play within the factory magazine.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
Last I checked, despite the 300WM twist getting updated to 1:10 recently, the WSM's still come 1:11. I had a 300 WSM Tikka for a bit. It liked 200 grn ELD-X's. It's now a 6.5 PRC, which are also available in OEM giese.

Macintosh

WKR
I have a “watered down” version of this, one of my hunting rifles is a stainless tikka lite 6.5cm and I also have a 270win barrel and LA mags/bolt stop for it. 270 for copper-bullet velocity from sept-dec, and 6.5cm for practice from january-august. I dont reload, so this was an easy-to-find-ammo-for rig that covers any need I have from practice to elk reasonably well.

22cm, 6cm, 6.5cm, 7-08, 284win are all on a standard bolt face, right? I believe you could load any of those long with the standard M+ or LA magazines in a tikka.
I’m guessing if you are going to all this trouble you are getting barrels turned or prefits so you can chamber and twist however it makes sense and not be confined by factory twist rates.

grfox92

WKR
Last I checked, despite the 300WM twist getting updated to 1:10 recently, the WSM's still come 1:11. I had a 300 WSM Tikka for a bit. It liked 200 grn ELD-X's. It's now a 6.5 PRC, which are also available in OEM giese.
Was it pretty slow compared to what it should have been?

Gila

WKR

I have a Tikka 300 WM with a 1:10” twist. I don’t have the mag length to load VLDs above 200 gr efficiently anyway so it is a moot point with the Tikka. Hornady prints a twist rate of 1:10” on the 200 gr ELD-X bullet box. However most of my hunting and the range is above 7000ft so 1:11” would probably work just fine for me.

grfox92

WKR
I have a Tikka 300 WM with a 1:10” twist. I don’t have the mag length to load VLDs above 200 gr efficiently anyway so it is a moot point with the Tikka. Hornady prints a twist rate of 1:10” on the 200 gr ELD-X bullet box. However most of my hunting and the range is above 7000ft so 1:11” would probably work just fine for me.
Would you be able to load like 185s and have room to play with seating depth?

Gila

WKR
Would you be able to load like 185s and have room to play with seating depth?

Probably not…but the shorter the bullet the more space for powder. I would just load the 300 WM up to a coal of 3.36” and shoot them. Either you get good groups and enough velocity or you don’t.

No. Very similar to 1:10 - 300WSM's I had. If anything it should be a tiny bit faster with the slower twist, but it wasn't enough to make anything out of it. I ran the WSM's in MT long action mags.

Probably not…but the shorter the bullet the more space for powder. I would just load the 300 WM up to a coal of 3.36” and shoot them. Either you get good groups and enough velocity or you don’t.
I haven't had any accuracy issues running anything at 3.36 in OEM Tikkas.

OP
R

Rambler

FNG
I have a “watered down” version of this, one of my hunting rifles is a stainless tikka lite 6.5cm and I also have a 270win barrel and LA mags/bolt stop for it. 270 for copper-bullet velocity from sept-dec, and 6.5cm for practice from january-august. I dont reload, so this was an easy-to-find-ammo-for rig that covers any need I have from practice to elk reasonably well.

22cm, 6cm, 6.5cm, 7-08, 284win are all on a standard bolt face, right? I believe you could load any of those long with the standard M+ or LA magazines in a tikka.
I’m guessing if you are going to all this trouble you are getting barrels turned or prefits so you can chamber and twist however it makes sense and not be confined by factory twist rates.
Yes

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
I have an extra Tikka 300WM that I'm thinking about playing with. Would it be a fairly simple change to go to a 300WSM? Or possibly a 6.5 or 7 PRC?

amassi

WKR
I have an extra Tikka 300WM that I'm thinking about playing with. Would it be a fairly simple change to go to a 300WSM? Or possibly a 6.5 or 7 PRC?

Yes screw on a new barrel and your done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As simple as that? Is this true for any of the calibers that I mentioned?
Pretty much. As long as the bolt face and stop are right for the chosen cartridge, and you have the right mags, you'll be gtg.

I'd also double check the fit with gauges, but overall it's a pretty simple process. There's a lot of good, pre shouldered Tikka barrels available these days.

SDHNTR

WKR
I’d question the desire to want to go from .300 wm to wsm, but that’s just me, and I’m a wsm fan!

I’d question the desire to want to go from .300 wm to wsm, but that’s just me, and I’m a wsm fan!
I have a soft spot for 300 WM's. I have owned 5 or 6 over the years and I currently have 2. Used a very accurate one to assist with crop damage work over a period of years, so probably took the most game with that caliber as well.

If one really wants a 30 cal mag in a Tikka, a 300 WSM makes sense. All the COAL one can use, and one can still stuff 3+1 in the mag. If you're stuck on the 300 win mag and don't mind AICS mags sticking down, then a Tikka is still a good choice.

SDHNTR

WKR
I have a soft spot for 300 WM's. I have owned 5 or 6 over the years and I currently have 2. Used a very accurate one to assist with crop damage work over a period of years, so probably took the most game with that caliber as well.

If one really wants a 30 cal mag in a Tikka, a 300 WSM makes sense. All the COAL one can use, and one can still stuff 3+1 in the mag. If you're stuck on the 300 win mag and don't mind AICS mags sticking down, then a Tikka is still a good choice.
Oh, you don’t have to sell me on the attributes. I’m just saying, if one already had a WM I don’t know if the juice is worth the squeeze to change.