Okay, friggin’ Tikkas….

Rambler

FNG
I’ve built alot of different custom and semi-custom rifles over the years. Mostly with Rem 700 actions but also several with Rem 700 style custom actions sharing the same footprint.

While I’ve been happy with most of those builds I’m to that age where I want to consolidate rifles and chamberings down to just a few that cover all the hunting I’m likely to do for the rest of my life.

Seriously sick of looking for components for cartridges that filled some “niche” I thought I needed. Get even more sick when I start organizing stuff and find all the ten to twenty year old reloading components that I tried but didn’t pan out for some obscure cartridge that I just had to play with. Wasted money $$👎

I’d like to pare things down to three or four chamberings on one or two platforms. Maybe three including a rimfire for basic training and plinking/small game, but we can talk about that later.

This means one or two actions, scopes and stocks, set up for 3-4 chamberings using prefit barrels.

I’ve read here a lot about how popular Tikka's are yet I know little about them. Just never really been on my radar, though I’ve always been a Sako fan.

Knowing next to nothing about them, other than fondling them at Scheels today, it appears that no matter the chambering, the action lengths are all the same. Is this correct? If so, can I buy one barreled action and buy different bolts for different head sizes and still maintain headspace for pre-fit barrels?

Or, will I have to buy different barreled actions to get the head size I want to run?

Additionally, the magazines appear to all be plastic and possibly limited on space for a few of the chambers I have in mind?

I’ve gleaned by lurking here that there are aftermarket mag options but what they are is a mystery to me because I’ve never really retained much Tikka info. They just haven’t ever been on my radar ‘till now.

I’ve reached that age where utility and convenience is much more important to me than having the latest coolest stuff. I want to spend more money on hunting trips and less on builds and experiments.

Hence my curiosity for Tikka actions, pre-fit barrels chambered for well supported factory cartridges is where I’m headed, I think.

So, with all that said, let’s talk Tikka actions, pre-fits, magazines and a minimum amount chamberings that will get the job done from brown bears down to coyotes……We’ll leave the rimfire trainer/small game rifle out for now.😁

I’ve built alot of different custom and semi-custom rifles over the years. Mostly with Rem 700 actions but also several with Rem 700 style custom actions sharing the same footprint.

While I’ve been happy with most of those builds I’m to that age where I want to consolidate rifles and chamberings down to just a few that cover all the hunting I’m likely to do for the rest of my life.

Seriously sick of looking for components for cartridges that filled some “niche” I thought I needed. Get even more sick when I start organizing stuff and find all the ten to twenty year old reloading components that I tried but didn’t pan out for some obscure cartridge that I just had to play with. Wasted money $$👎

I’d like to pare things down to three or four chamberings on one or two platforms. Maybe three including a rimfire for basic training and plinking/small game, but we can talk about that later.

This means one or two actions, scopes and stocks, set up for 3-4 chamberings using prefit barrels.

I’ve read here a lot about how popular Tikka's are yet I know little about them. Just never really been on my radar, though I’ve always been a Sako fan.

Knowing next to nothing about them, other than fondling them at Scheels today, it appears that no matter the chambering, the action lengths are all the same. Is this correct? If so, can I buy one barreled action and buy different bolts for different head sizes and still maintain headspace for pre-fit barrels?

Or, will I have to buy different barreled actions to get the head size I want to run?

Additionally, the magazines appear to all be plastic and possibly limited on space for a few of the chambers I have in mind?

I’ve gleaned by lurking here that there are aftermarket mag options but what they are is a mystery to me because I’ve never really retained much Tikka info. They just haven’t ever been on my radar ‘till now.

I’ve reached that age where utility and convenience is much more important to me than having the latest coolest stuff. I want to spend more money on hunting trips and less on builds and experiments.

Hence my curiosity for Tikka actions, pre-fit barrels chambered for well supported factory cartridges is where I’m headed, I think.

So, with all that said, let’s talk Tikka actions, pre-fits, magazines and a minimum amount chamberings that will get the job done from brown bears down to coyotes……We’ll leave the rimfire trainer/small game rifle out for now.😁
-Actions are the same length
-Swap bolts as long as you check headspace for the barrel and bolt you plan to use.
- mags you would want to buy for the rounds you're planning to use(magnum, long action or shortaction).
-bolt stop if a short action chambered donor gun can be swapped to let the bolt go back further for longer rounds(easy swap).
-stocks and chassis are more plentiful now days with lots of other accessories and rings for optics.

NSI

WKR
Alright!
  1. Yes, all actions are the same length - it's a "standard" length along the lines of an extra medium elsewhere.
  2. There are 3 bolts - .223, .308, and magnum. Whatever 2 rifles you get, get them in two different bolt sizes so you only have to chase down one bolt here or at J&A Outdoors. LRI no longer makes bolts on demand, and they never did the .223 size.
  3. As you guessed, the action size is modified synthetically by the plastic magazine (assuming you don't buy a CTR rifle) and a little bolt catch piece that's easily replaceable. For your purposes, you can just buy or install long action bolt catches on all your bolts. It won't hurt a thing except an extra half inch of bolt stroke.
  4. Those little plastic mags are fabulous for hunting, but are a bit of an issue for loading long - again just as you intuited. They also make changing calibers a bit challenging (but not impossible. Most chassis therefore automatically convert the Tikka to accept AICS magazines. An AICS mag without the binder plate, such as an MDT, will get you extra length. If you go with an aftermarket traditional stock, you can do nifty things with Wyatt boxes.
Now for the subjective stuff:
  1. Determine the game you'd like to hunt, and the projectiles you'd like to use. For example, I like to hunt deer and elk, and I like to use Barnes LRX projectiles in 6.5, 7mm, and 30 calibers.
  2. Research the manufacturer-suggested minimum velocity for that projectile's effectiveness, and add 100fpm. Let's call this number the critical velocity.
  3. Using a ballistic solver, combine your pre-fit barrel's length and your loading of that projectile to calculate (project) the distance at which you will hit your critical velocity.
  4. Evaluate! Is that enough distance for your hunting style? If not, you can lengthen the barrel or change the projectile type or weight or add powder (increase the cartridge size, for example from 6.5cm to 6,5prc).
  5. Rinse and repeat, creating boundaries based on desired rifle weight and shootability. For example, it's probably not worth having two different rifles for elk and deer. But it's absolutely worth setting an upper bound at pronghorn, for example, and setting up a lighter lower-recoiling rifle for that game.
I know this isn't quite as directive as: "set up a 6.5cm and a 7PRC" or "shoot speedgoats with .243 and buy a 30'06 elk barrel" but I hope the thought process helps you get to your "right answer" organically. This site is littered with caliber debates that get old, but it's certainly important to get your setup right for you.

Best,
-J

You’ve pretty much got it. Main limitation is overall length. I’ve got 5 tikka actions now and they are so versatile. I’m not much of a magnum guy but if trying to shoot heavy long bullets in a magnum it might be better with short action magnum on a long action bolt stop.

Prefits have been great, easy to do it all yourself with a few tools. Pulling off a factory barrel is supposedly hard, I did one yesterday it was not difficult but others (including my previous gunsmith) have really struggled.

Can’t go wrong with tikka IMO

6.5x284

WKR
Overall length for heavies is the only negative really. Tikkas are perfect for a 7PRC! Not great for a 300 RUM, win mag, etc… with those 215+ heavies and even with some lighter all copper bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macintosh

WKR
I’m not clear if you are planning to
reload for it—you mentioned loading components and being concerned about magazine length, but also mentioned consolidating to “well-supported factory cartridges”. Can you clarify?

kickemall

WKR
I think you're on the right track. I had so much stuff for so many guns I decided to consolidate. I'm on the same path and have two finished and working on the third. T3x stainless actions, Preferred Barrels taperless barrels, Stockys VG stocks, Mountain Tactical 20 moa rails and trigger spring. .223, 6.5 Creedmoor and 7 PRC. Liked the first one so much I started getting rid of guns I don't use and am planning to stick with those three.

My story is very similar to the OP. Lot of R700 and clones for years. Moved to more Tikkas some time ago and haven't looked back.

You can get 3.56 or so out of a AICS mag and bottom metal. I've ran a couple through the years with good results as far as functionality; but I don't always care to have the mag protruding out on a hunting rifle that gets carried in hand a lot. Currently running one 7 mm RM so equiped. Will probably rebarrel that to 7 PRC at some point and be content with 3.34 in a factory or MT mag. Like the OP, I'm at the stage in life wherein I want to consolidate and simplify. Only readily available from good sources components for me going forward.

As others have stated, the easy answer if you want more performance out of a Tikka is to go short mag based case with long action bolt stop. To this end, I have recently put together a 6.5 PRC on a Tikka.

Harvey_NW

WKR
You can get 3.56 or so out of a AICS mag and bottom metal. I've ran a couple through the years with good results as far as functionality; but I don't always care to have the mag protruding out on a hunting rifle that gets carried in hand a lot. Currently running one 7 mm RM so equiped.
You can but my experience was you had to fab some sort of spacer in the accuratemag box or have the action ported, or the rounds can scoot forward in the mag and the meplat can hang up on the inlet and jam.

The dexterity of factory Tikka parts is what keeps them light and comfortable. If you want a true LA cartridge that can't be optimized on the factory parts I think the 700 with a BDL is a better setup for a hunting rifle.

Gila

WKR
The Tikka actions are limited to a length of 3.5” and the magazines are shorter than that and are limited to COAL of 3.36”. If you want to handload heavy VLDs in a long action cartridge the Tikka T3x is probably not for you. However if you want to shoot factory ammo or just load to the SAMMI COAL of 3.34” for long action cartridges; Tikkas can shoot the traditional short bullets in factory ammo rather well. If you plan on dropping then into another stock and re-barrel, there are better actions out there for that effort. I don’t really warm up to AICS mags on a Tikka for hunting.

Tikka bolts and bolt parts (like a firing pin assembly) can difficult to come by.

IMG_20221128_175558.jpg

Clearance notch. Several companies make Tikka bottom metal for 3.7 AICS mags. I've not had any issues with feeding. All run smooth as fast and aggressive or slow and steady as I care to work the bolt.

Depending on desired use and ergonomic preferences, if you decide you need more COAL, the AICS converted Tikka can be a good option. To me, the Tikka attributes over other options make it worth the effort.

Such as it is, I'm at the stage where I'll find a cartridge that fits and move on with shooting instead of worrying that I'm not squeezing the absolute most velocity or accuracy out of the set up. It's fun to make mountains out of mole hills as far as cartridge differences, but in the end, put the right bullet through the right spot and game will die.

OP
R

Rambler

FNG
I’m not clear if you are planning to
reload for it—you mentioned loading components and being concerned about magazine length, but also mentioned consolidating to “well-supported factory cartridges”. Can you clarify?
Ya, I’ll reload… Seems the only company that supports their cartridges these day’s is Hornady and they always gain popularity accordingly. The aftermarket seems to follow suit with great components and in a pinch factory loads for cartridges supported by them are often the only things you can find…

Chamberings that I’m thinking about to cover everything I need are 7 PRC, 6.5 PRC, 6.5 Creedmoor ( a true trainer) and .22 Creedmoor.

I know, I know, the .22 Creedmoor is not a readily available factory option but I already have a few and with the amount of Alpha brass I have, I’m confident. With it liking powders similar to the 7 and 6.5 PRC, when shooting heavies, I’ll not likely ever be without one.

Not interested in debating chamberings or cartridge selection, I’ve built enough rifles and hunted enough to know exactly what I’m looking for these days.

What I am interested in is optimizing mags for the cartridges listed. Right now, I’m thinking one action with a .532” bolt face for the 7 and 6.5 PRC and another action with a .473” bf for the 6.5 and .22 Creedmoor.

OP
R

Rambler

FNG
Alright!
  1. Yes, all actions are the same length - it's a "standard" length along the lines of an extra medium elsewhere.
  2. There are 3 bolts - .223, .308, and magnum. Whatever 2 rifles you get, get them in two different bolt sizes so you only have to chase down one bolt here or at J&A Outdoors. LRI no longer makes bolts on demand, and they never did the .223 size.
  3. As you guessed, the action size is modified synthetically by the plastic magazine (assuming you don't buy a CTR rifle) and a little bolt catch piece that's easily replaceable. For your purposes, you can just buy or install long action bolt catches on all your bolts. It won't hurt a thing except an extra half inch of bolt stroke.
  4. Those little plastic mags are fabulous for hunting, but are a bit of an issue for loading long - again just as you intuited. They also make changing calibers a bit challenging (but not impossible. Most chassis therefore automatically convert the Tikka to accept AICS magazines. An AICS mag without the binder plate, such as an MDT, will get you extra length. If you go with an aftermarket traditional stock, you can do nifty things with Wyatt boxes.
Now for the subjective stuff:
  1. Determine the game you'd like to hunt, and the projectiles you'd like to use. For example, I like to hunt deer and elk, and I like to use Barnes LRX projectiles in 6.5, 7mm, and 30 calibers.
  2. Research the manufacturer-suggested minimum velocity for that projectile's effectiveness, and add 100fpm. Let's call this number the critical velocity.
  3. Using a ballistic solver, combine your pre-fit barrel's length and your loading of that projectile to calculate (project) the distance at which you will hit your critical velocity.
  4. Evaluate! Is that enough distance for your hunting style? If not, you can lengthen the barrel or change the projectile type or weight or add powder (increase the cartridge size, for example from 6.5cm to 6,5prc).
  5. Rinse and repeat, creating boundaries based on desired rifle weight and shootability. For example, it's probably not worth having two different rifles for elk and deer. But it's absolutely worth setting an upper bound at pronghorn, for example, and setting up a lighter lower-recoiling rifle for that game.
I know this isn't quite as directive as: "set up a 6.5cm and a 7PRC" or "shoot speedgoats with .243 and buy a 30'06 elk barrel" but I hope the thought process helps you get to your "right answer" organically. This site is littered with caliber debates that get old, but it's certainly important to get your setup right for you.

Best,
-J
Great post, thank you!

Reactions: NSI

SDHNTR

WKR
Ya, I’ll reload… Seems the only company that supports their cartridges these day’s is Hornady and they always gain popularity accordingly. The aftermarket seems to follow suit with great components and in a pinch factory loads for cartridges supported by them are often the only things you can find…

Chamberings that I’m thinking about to cover everything I need are 7 PRC, 6.5 PRC, 6.5 Creedmoor ( a true trainer) and .22 Creedmoor.

I know, I know, the .22 Creedmoor is not a readily available factory option but I already have a few and with the amount of Alpha brass I have, I’m confident. With it liking powders similar to the 7 and 6.5 PRC, when shooting heavies, I’ll not likely ever be without one.

Not interested in debating chamberings or cartridge selection, I’ve built enough rifles and hunted enough to know exactly what I’m looking for these days.

What I am interested in is optimizing mags for the cartridges listed. Right now, I’m thinking one action with a .532” bolt face for the 7 and 6.5 PRC and another action with a .473” bf for the 6.5 and .22 Creedmoor.
IMO, Pass on the Tikka for what you just described. You want a Bighorn Origin or ARC action. In one action you can have interchangeable bolt faces and multiple cartridges. And headspace tolerance for your prefit barrels that will be tighter than a Tikka. Less problematic. More magazine choices in aics, aiw, BDL, whatever your preference.

sram9102

WKR
Every switch barrel system needs a 223 option. Other than that I like your choices. I have a tikka with a wto switch lug with 223, 22 creed, 6.5 creed, and 6.5 prc barrels.

Reactions: NSI
IMO, Pass on the Tikka for what you just described. You want a Bighorn Origin or ARC action. In one action you can have interchangeable bolt faces and multiple cartridges. And headspace tolerance for your prefit barrels that will be tighter than a Tikka. Less problematic. More magazine choices in aics, aiw, BDL, whatever your preference.
I've been thinking about an ARC Coup De Grace. I like a lot of the feature set. What are you running for triggers on them?

I've been so happy with the Tikkas that I don't really have a reason to try anything else - But where's the fun in that?

SDHNTR

WKR
I've been thinking about an ARC Coup De Grace. I like a lot of the feature set. What are you running for triggers on them?

I've been so happy with the Tikkas that I don't really have a reason to try anything else - But where's the fun in that?
I’m the wrong guy to ask, I’ve yet to see a Coup de Grace.

Last edited:

grfox92

WKR
If you wanted a Tikka in a Magnum, and you reload, it would be a 300wsm.

It's the only factory magnum from Tikka that you can have room to play within the factory magazine.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk