Okay, friggin’ Tikkas….

HOT ROD

WKR
I have a Tikka 300 WM with a 1:10” twist. I don’t have the mag length to load VLDs above 200 gr efficiently anyway so it is a moot point with the Tikka. Hornady prints a twist rate of 1:10” on the 200 gr ELD-X bullet box. However most of my hunting and the range is above 7000ft so 1:11” would probably work just fine for me.
Try sum 185 juggernauts they shoot well out of my Tikka 300 wm,,,, The 180 elites are a slick bullet to try

OP
R

Rambler

FNG
Nobody cares to talk factory mags or aftermarket mags and bottom metal along with OAL dimensions? What would you all consider to be the optimal setup for the cartridges mentioned?

OP
R

Rambler

FNG
Obviously the 6.5 and .22 Creedmoor are easy, it’s the switch barrel 7PRC/ 6.5 PRC that has me wondering what’s available that would work best.

SDHNTR

WKR
Obviously the 6.5 and .22 Creedmoor are easy, it’s the switch barrel 7PRC/ 6.5 PRC that has me wondering what’s available that would work best.
If you’re gonna switch barrels personally I’d want something held to a .001” headspace tolerance standard personally. You’re now doubling the chances of a problem. Just me. Tikkas are great, but they’re still a mass produced factory action.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Tikkas are great, but they’re still a mass produced factory action.

“Custom” M700 actions are mass produced factory actions.

One can take any factory T3 barrel off of any factory Tikka T3, put it on any other factory T3 and it will headspace spot on.

SDHNTR

WKR
“Custom” M700 actions are mass produced factory actions.

One can take any factory T3 barrel off of any factory Tikka T3, put it on any other factory T3 and it will headspace spot on.
True, but aren’t we talking about various aftermarket prefit barrels? Tolerance stacking issues are out there. Not saying it’s always the receiver’s fault tho.

Can you actually buy new factory Tikka barrels anywhere?

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
True, but aren’t we talking about various aftermarket prefit barrels? Tolerance stacking issues are out there. Not saying it’s always the receiver’s fault tho.

Can you actually buy new factory Tikka barrels anywhere?

Sure. Well take off Tikka barrels. JA Outdoors and eBay.

The issue with prefits isn’t the action with Tikka, it’s the barrels. Companies and gunsmiths try to get cute with headspace, threading etc. instead of just following factory dimensions. Those same companies screw up “custom” action prefits as well.

I’m not saying that a Tikka is the OP’s best choice; I’m saying that Tikka’s are dimensionally as close as most “custom” actions and prefits are not a problem.

SDHNTR

WKR
Sure. Well take off Tikka barrels. JA Outdoors and eBay.

The issue with prefits isn’t the action with Tikka, it’s the barrels. Companies and gunsmiths try to get cute with headspace, threading etc. instead of just following factory dimensions. Those same companies screw up “custom” action prefits as well.

I’m not saying that a Tikka is the OP’s best choice; I’m saying that Tikka’s are dimensionally as close as most “custom” actions and prefits are not a problem.
100% agreement on aftermarket prefits. I dunno what the typical headspace variance is on a Tikka (but I’m curious), but on most higher end boutique actions it is <.001”. Given the known widespread tolerance in prefit barrels I was thinking that reducing the variability one one end of the equation (action) might reduce the potential for tolerance stacking issues with the completed unit. Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe it’s just the control freak in me thinking I can manipulate things for the better. All I know is I have yet to have a headspace problem using a Defiance or Impact and prefits.

Yeah I hear ya on take off barrels, I meant factory new, unmolested barrels. Who knows how bubba wrenched that thing off of there! I suppose buying new takeoffs from professional smith that upfits Tikkas regularly would be a good source though. A source of vetted takeoffs has got me thinking…

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
100% agreement on aftermarket prefits. I dunno what the typical headspace variance is on a Tikka (but I’m curious), but on most higher end boutique actions it is <.001”. Given the known widespread tolerance in prefit barrels I was thinking that reducing the variability one one end of the equation (action) might reduce the potential for tolerance stacking issues with the completed unit. Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe it’s just the control freak in me thinking I can manipulate things for the better. All I know is I have yet to have a headspace problem using a Defiance or Impact and prefits.

That’s the thing- Tikka is holding similar or better machining than most aftermarket actions. Tikka/Sako isn’t Winchester, Browning, Weatherby, Remington, etc. Tikka literally grabs a chambered barrel and screws it on- there is no fitting.

Yeah I hear ya on take off barrels, I meant factory new, unmolested barrels. Who knows how bubba wrenched that thing off of there! I suppose buying new takeoffs from professional smith that upfits Tikkas regularly would be a good source though. A source of vetted takeoffs has got me thinking…

Haha. Yeah. JA Outdoors gets them off cleanly from what I’ve seen.

I've ran Tikka "take offs" a couple of times. Got them for cheap and had fantastic results. They are of good quality and, as stated by Formidilosus, fitment and functionality are great because no one got cute, sloppy, etc with them.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
That’s the thing- Tikka is holding similar or better machining than most aftermarket actions. Tikka/Sako isn’t Winchester, Browning, Weatherby, Remington, etc. Tikka literally grabs a chambered barrel and screws it on- there is no fitting.

Haha. Yeah. JA Outdoors gets them off cleanly from what I’ve seen.
I have no doubt Sako/Tikka runs tighter than typical Remchesters and the like, but I would like to see some actual, empirical numbers, out of curiosity.

Good to know on JA Outdoors.

WKR
Sort of interested in a lefty T3 with a 7mm PRC prefit barrel. Mag length is 3.37 and max factory oal on 7mm PRC looks like 3.34. Can you just use a Tikka 7mm Remington magazine for the 7mm PRC? I'd drop it in a McMillan but wanting the action, bottom metal and trigger to be just factory T3.

Last edited:

Gila

WKR
I would ditch the PRCs and run 284 Winchester and the 6.5x284 Norma. Both have the same case, so you would only need one bolt face of .473 (max coal 3.25”)

You would need to change out boltstops for the shorter cartridges, but can use the same bolt for all 4 calibers.

If you want a heavy hitter, buy a 2nd Tikka T3x Lite SS in 300 WM.

Last edited:

Harvey_NW

WKR
Nobody cares to talk factory mags or aftermarket mags and bottom metal along with OAL dimensions? What would you all consider to be the optimal setup for the cartridges mentioned?
Tikka factory LA mag limit is 3.34", so if you like to be close to lands or chase them you'll be limited with 7 PRC with a SAAMI freebore, but HCA is coming out with a billet mag with a COAL of 3.41" that will give you some wiggle room. I would suggest pre ordering one because it's a pretty safe bet there will be limited stock after the introduction. But the factory mags and bottom plastics are light and function flawlessly, any upgrades besides something like the billet mag with more room is just window dressing.