Old or New?

New spot, first time using points on a unit. Curious to see if it was worth it, figured I'd burn them before I got too scared of loosing them on a bad spot. Figure out how I should handle my points in other states.

Michael Pawul

Lil-Rokslider
Same area, new season. I typically hunt archery, and will be taking friend out for bow, but I am hunting muzzy elk for the first time this year and looking forward to it!

Sdieffen

FNG
Same place in CO OTC as the last 4 years. I know the area well, and there's plenty of elk. Every year I say I'm going to try something new, then we stay there around 3 weeks. We'll see how thick it is with other hunters this year. To be clear, I welcome everyone to enjoy god's glory in the elk woods. It's the guys that overuse their bugle and make every bull call shy that I'm worried about.

I was just getting to the point where I liked hunting spots I had figured out, and then moved to a new state. All but one hunt will be in totally new areas to me. Been scouting them all summer though.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

justin84

Lil-Rokslider
Some new spots in an old area we’ve deer hunted for many years, so a little bit of both I guess.

I was hoping for a good spot...but bought a NM LO tag in Northern NM [crummy unit] as my backup. Since no MT, Wyo or other good tag came through...it looks like I will be toughing it out again this year at high elevation in NM.

i know where theres a water hole ;) 🏹🏹🏹

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Turn in your elk to focus on moose?

Kind of. I just didn't want to take the chance of going to do my moose hunt and then not having enough time left for my elk hunt, and wasting my points. Now, if I can kill a moose early.......then I can go OTC or possibly pick up a leftover without using points. But elk is always my focus.....even when I get a moose and sheep tag.😬

New spot every year. Half the fun for me is is adventuring through a new unit.

i feel the same. I've hunted as many units as years I've been hunting. i hunted 3 or for units in CO one year. last year i hunted NM and CO. I've done that a few times. i just cannot imagine not hunting elk.

New, I had multiple bulls at 65 yds last year, just couldn’t close. So sucks to leave that unit but excited about the new one. Doesn’t hurt to have options for the future

ChrisAU

WKR
Same spot. Trying to get to learn it pretty well, but it may be the last year for a while we go to that spot because we may switch up species if my buddy gets an elk this year. Not quite to where we can do multiple week long plus hunts yet.

Old. Gen WY tag in a unit I drew a cow tag a couple years ago. We had lots of bulls offer archery shots. I took a shot at a cow and a twig I didn’t see deflected my arrow to the dirt. Looking forward to redemption

I’ll be starting in a spot I haven’t drawn since 2016. If it doesn’t produce in a few days I’ll be returning to some old stomping grounds.

Last edited: