Old Switchback vs VXR

cravingame

Lil-Rokslider
I have been shooting a Mathews Switchback since I bought it new in 2006. I have taken a couple Bull Elk and many Deer with it over the years. It has served me well, but with a limited entry Elk hunt coming up, I started thinking "maybe it's time to upgrade". My history with Mathews drew me to their new flagship bow. So I recently when to the local archery shop to see how the VXR stacks up to the new Prime and Hoyts. I went in prepared to be in awe of the speed, dead-in-hand lack of vibration, and smoothness of the draw of all these new bows. My first impression with the VXR in my hand was that it didn't seem that much lighter than my Switchback. Then at the range expecting to be floored, I was impressed with the solid back wall, but really that's it. Don't get me wrong everything people are saying is true, it's smooth, forgiving and quiet. But so is my Switchback. The VXR is a little nicer in every way, but it only seems a little nicer. I surely wasn't floored. I am now having a hard time justifying the $2k I'm gonna have to sink into this new VXR after setting it up with all the top accessories like I did with my old Switchback when it was new. I just can't convince myself to pull the trigger. I originally thought this thing would sell itself. I thought once I shot it, I would never want to go back to my old Switchback again. It didn't happen.

As for the Prime and Hoyts, they were right there with the Mathews. The Hoyt seemed lighter in my hand, but non of these new bows were mind-blowing.
VXR_Finishes-510x365.jpg

Last edited:

MAVinWA

Lil-Rokslider
Based in WA, OTC archery public land in AZ, UT, so
pull the buy trigger.
I kept my 2006 SWBXT as my back up bow to my 2019 Vertix.
very happy with Vertix; increased speed, improved back wall, let off is helping this sr citizen stay in the archery hunt.

edit: oh, and super quiet compared to my Switchback XT.

OP
cravingame

cravingame

Lil-Rokslider
pull the buy trigger.
I kept my 2006 SWBXT as my back up bow to my 2019 Vertix.
very happy with Vertix; increased speed, improved back wall, let off is helping this sr citizen stay in the archery hunt.

edit: oh, and super quiet compared to my Switchback XT.
My SB is the 65% Let-Off version and it doen't even bother me. Maybe in another 15 years.

The switchback was a great bow. Definitely things have improved since then, but ultimately the switchback does everything you need. Newer bows are a little smoother and faster. With the speed or energy they produce they can be harder to tune. Your old single cam is pretty simple. Several of these newer bows are easier to tune than others.

I think most of what you would gain is speed, or the ability to run a heavier arrow at the same speed you are accustomed to. You might find one that holds and balances better than your switchback.

I think you have answered your question though. If you don't think it's worth the price of admission.

I still keep an eye out for an old sw xt. I wouldn't mind playing with one again. See if it's as good as I remember.

kong

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a VXR mainly since my old bow is a 2009 Martin that was my beginning bow at 50# draw. Wanted a bit more oompf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanZ

FNG
There is much to be said for shooting the same bow for years and knowing it intimately. Not a lot has really changed in the last decade -- despite what manufacturers claim. A little bit of smoothness and a little bit of speed. Prices have gone up. New designer camo patterns.

PhotoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have 2 Mathews LX bows setup the same (just before Switchback). I know them and I'm comfortable with them. I'm not changing because there's no good reason to.

kong

Lil-Rokslider
There is much to be said for shooting the same bow for years and knowing it intimately. Not a lot has really changed in the last decade -- despite what manufacturers claim. A little bit of smoothness and a little bit of speed. Prices have gone up. New designer camo patterns.

Interesting you say that. Going to Lanai to hunt for Axis I didn't shoot much to prepare but felt comfortable knowing my old bow. Issue was arrow did not have pass through due to the draw weight while my buddies slightly higher poundage bow had pass through and what sounded like a rib crack. My old Martin is a 50# draw. The VXR I am procuring is a 70# draw.

Felix40

WKR
The switchback was a fairly slow bow even back in 2006. It made up for that with smoothness but in 2019 its a super slow bow. Its a great bow but a big increase in performance sure would be nice.

I dont know how you would get to $2k even with buying new arrows. If nothing else just out what you have on it

The switchback was a fairly slow bow even back in 2006. It made up for that with smoothness but in 2019 its a super slow bow. Its a great bow but a big increase in performance sure would be nice.

I dont know how you would get to $2k even with buying new arrows. If nothing else just out what you have on it

Haven't you read what it takes to have a proper bow now?

Hamskea -$175
Spot Hogg - $300
Bee stinger setup -$200
Tight spot -$175

Then of course new fmj's and a release of whatever is in fad now. A nock-on or whatever? I'd say your north of 2k.

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
If it helps any, I did the same thing a few years ago....."upgraded" from my switchback xt to the newest flagship bow. I kept my xt as a backup. However, I still shoot the xt more and have killed my last few elk with it. If you still like it, keep it. Spend the money on something else.

PS: the newer bow is great, but the Switchback series is one of the best to me.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Glad to see I'm not the only one who is thinking about a new bow but just can't let go of shooting my switchback. I've had the same setup on it forever: limbsaver stabilizer, trophy ridge sight (gasp! I know! soooooo not hip), ripcord drop away rest, and I still shoot lethally tight groups out to 70 yards. Killed a P&Y bull a few years ago at almost 50 yards with it and plenty of whitetails too. I do re-string every few years. 70lb draw. It's quiet, forgiving, reliable, and of course oh-so familiar to me. I keep thinking of all the other cool stuff I'd spend 1,500-2,000 on. I know sooner or later I'll take that plunge but it just seems so hard to justify when what I have works so well. Reminds me of the old chevy truck commercial where the guy washes his truck when he goes to sell it, then comes to his senses and keeps it instead.

kong

Lil-Rokslider
Dang was so close to getting my new bow and now it is an undetermined amount of time due the Mayor shutting down non-essential businesses.

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty much same scenario, had the switchback loved it, but had a big hunt coming up! I needed a sweet bow, at least something with cooler camo.. So I bought a Halon for The big trip, kinda started to hate it, so then I bought a Centergy, then a CT5... been trying to find a bow i like as much as the SB. if I could do it all over again I wouldn’t have drank the kool-aid... I miss my switchback.

Jblodgett

FNG
Definitely keep your switchback in case you aren’t happy with a new bow. It’s always good to have a backup.

rob86jeep

WKR
So, what did you decide? I also have a Switchback XT that I bought new in 2006 (I have upgraded the arrows, sight, and rest since then though), but this is the first year since '06 that I have "bow fever" and have been seriously contemplating dropping the money for a new VXR 31.5 or a used Halon. I just went to my local shop today to check them out in person (and see about the price tags), but haven't shot them yet. Interested to hear what you ended up doing and if you're glad/have an regret on your decision.

MattB

WKR
I wouldn't go into a big hunt without a back-up bow, esp. if my main bow was 14 years old. Bows are not like rifles in that there are parts on a bow with a finite life (limbs, bushings/bearings, and even axles). I think of bows more like car tires, my strategy is not to wait until one fails to replace them.

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
This thread makes me glad I bought a used switchback xt. Dropped it off at the bow shop two weeks ago for a new string, hopefully I’ll get it back this week.