Older 'New' SLC or spend a few extra and buy the EL?

I'm trying to decide if a 2006 era 'New' model Swarro SLC is worth it for $1,200 or just jump head first into a brand new EL at around $1,900? The older SLC binoculars look excellent, but I'm not able to see them in person. Is there $700 difference between the two? The older pair is 10x42, which isn't my preferred power. The new EL is 8x42, which is what I was really searching for. Decisions decisions. Any help or insight appreciated.

OP
C
Yeah, sorry it was 8.5x for the bnib EL, not 8x. Can't seem to stumble upon that power level used. It seems the 10x may be more popular or maybe it's the model most sold on the used market.

Trr15

WKR
I can’t speak to the SLCs, but I had a pair of pre-HD EL 10x42s (2008 model I believe) and ended up selling them and buying 10x42 EL SVs. In my opinion, there was a noticeable improvement in clarity and brightness in the newer model. The SLCs you’re looking at are a quality bino, no doubt. But I agree with the prior poster that if you go with the EL SVs you’ll likely never question your decision. Up to you if that’s worth the extra $.

OP
C
Thanks! I'm leaning brand new at this point. I may have to end up buying the wife new earrings or some other shiny bauble to distract her. I'm using one year old Leupold BX-2 Acadia binoculars right now. They're ok and an improvement over my Steiner Predator 8x30 pair I bought in 2001. I think I'm ready for the big boys now.

mthayr

WKR
Have you looked through both? Deciding based on specs and other people's opinions is a bad idea. On paper EL = field flatteners, SLCs = slightly longer twilight performance but let your own eyes be the ultimate judge. Bass Pro/Cabela's should have both - go at a time when you would be hunting and use them to look outdoors. You will decide if the EL's are $1000 better or if your eyes can even tell a difference (or if another brand looks equally as good).

If the SLCs are the “neu” version they are not as good as the newest slc version. While they are great binoculars, at $1200 your paying for the name IMO. I don’t think paying $1200 for a pair of 2006 SLCs is a very good deal if optical performance is your priority, especially considering they are not the magnification your looking for. Spend the money on some good used condition zeiss sf or new ELs and you won’t have to buy them later.

OP
C
I did just that at the local Cabela's. I've looked through Leica Geovids, Swarro El Range 10x and Zeiss (can't remember the model, but they were around $1,000). I liked the Geovids, but want interested in ranging. The Zeiss eyecups bother me and eye relief seems short. Great glass though. They have no SLC models in 8 or 10x because they've been discontinued. I think some stores have a 15x in stock though. I've looked high and low and made probably upwards of 50 calls to local and semi-local places which sell binoculars to find a pair I could see and possibly purchase in person with no luck. They are unobtanium. I'm just going off the seemingly hundreds of glowing reviews on the SLC models.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm trying to decide if a 2006 era 'New' model Swarro SLC is worth it for $1,200 or just jump head first into a brand new EL at around $1,900? The older SLC binoculars look excellent, but I'm not able to see them in person. Is there $700 difference between the two? The older pair is 10x42, which isn't my preferred power. The new EL is 8x42, which is what I was really searching for. Decisions decisions. Any help or insight appreciated.
If you prefer an 8x/8.5x than the 10x shouldn't even be a consideration. Just my $.02. Why spend $1,200.00 for something you really aren't hot on?

I picked up a pair of pre hd el 10x42s for $1k. Best money I ever spent. I always had mid level leupolds up to then that were good to me until looking through Swaroski and lei as. Me and my buddies have swapped around binos around camp checking each other’s stuff out and all have come to the conclusion that the pre hd and hd els were not noticeably different when we looked through them. Also one had slc that we all thought were about the same. We did notice that the leupold guide bx4s were very good in normal light, excellent actually but were not as good in lower light still good but not Swaro good and that’s really when it usually matters when hunting. Of course it was just a group of 5 regular guys ranging in age from 30s to 70 who aren’t expert bird watchers or anything but spend a lot of time behind glass for ca. blacktail. If I were in the situation you’re talking about I wouldn’t hesitate to buy slcs but used els are out there that are inside that price range. I think of it like the wine people who can taste the nuances and the people that just like the way good wine tastes.

OP
C
If you prefer an 8x/8.5x than the 10x shouldn't even be a consideration. Just my $.02. Why spend $1,200.00 for something you really aren't hot on?
Just a nagging voice telling me I want more magnification and could make them work, but reality is that eastern mountains don't really require them. All I've found in used SLC is 10x.

Wheels

WKR
I did just that at the local Cabela's. I've looked through Leica Geovids, Swarro El Range 10x and Zeiss (can't remember the model, but they were around $1,000). I liked the Geovids, but want interested in ranging. The Zeiss eyecups bother me and eye relief seems short. Great glass though. They have no SLC models in 8 or 10x because they've been discontinued. I think some stores have a 15x in stock though. I've looked high and low and made probably upwards of 50 calls to local and semi-local places which sell binoculars to find a pair I could see and possibly purchase in person with no luck. They are unobtanium. I'm just going off the seemingly hundreds of glowing reviews on the SLC models.
You might try giving Rogers Sporting Goods in Liberty, MO a call. They had 2 sets of new SLC 10x42's in their display case a couple months ago when I was there. They would ship to you if they still have them.

tdhanses

WKR
Just a nagging voice telling me I want more magnification and could make them work, but reality is that eastern mountains don't really require them. All I've found in used SLC is 10x.
Go with the 8.5x42 or the 8x32 el‘s in swarovision, you’ll be plenty happy. Since you mainly hunt or are in the east coast I’d go 8x32, should be a little cheaper then the 8.5x42 as well.

Also 8x32 are just fine for the west as well. I’ll be updating my 10x42 geovid to the new 8x32 geovid in the next year or 2.

don't make a compromise that you don't have to with binos... both are great optics, but get whatever suits you best or you'll be upgrading again later

Tesoro

Lil-Rokslider
for what its worth...I wear sunglasses alot of the time outdoors and esp when it is bright and using my binos. When I decided to upgrade the only ones that gave me a full fov with eyecups all the way in were the EL swaros.

elkguide

WKR
When I was guiding in Wyoming, I got sick of the eye strain and after my first year of guiding, worked lots of overtime and bought a pair of SLC, 10X42s and was worried that they would be too much glass for back East where I live and hunt. With lower tier glass, I found that to be true but much to my relief, I have not found the 10 power Swarovskis to be too much. I now have both a pair of SLCs and a pair of ELs and I like them both.
I've regretted some of my "investments" in the latest, newest, hunting gear but I have never regretted my investment in my Swaros.

Firehawk

WKR
$1200 is too much for a 15 year old SLC. And when you consider it is a magnification you don't really want, then that should tell you enough. Watch the classifieds here. 8.5 Els pop up regularly. I picked mine up this past fall, and they are wonderful. I don't see a lot of 8x SLCs here, but you should be able to get one much newer (try to be 2011 or newer) for about the same money you are considering for the 2006. They will have the newer glass and coatings.

Good luck. Lots of good advice in this thread.

tdhanses

WKR
$1200 is too much for a 15 year old SLC. And when you consider it is a magnification you don't really want, then that should tell you enough. Watch the classifieds here. 8.5 Els pop up regularly. I picked mine up this past fall, and they are wonderful. I don't see a lot of 8x SLCs here, but you should be able to get one much newer (try to be 2011 or newer) for about the same money you are considering for the 2006. They will have the newer glass and coatings.

Good luck. Lots of good advice in this thread.
Especially when you consider 2020-21 models could be had new for $1450, now they’ll hold that value since they are discontinued but no way I’d pay $1200 for older SLC’s, they are a $900 bino today.

OP
C
Thanks for all the advice and insight! It sounds like that used pair of SLCs I had my eye on are a bit overpriced and outdated to boot. For those of you who have used both and if both were equally priced (which they're obviously not), which would you choose in the 8x range? A new pair of SLCs if I could find them or ELs?

Ronb

WKR
8.5x42 el…pre field pro. Find yourself a deal. They are way better than the slc and your can find them for the same price as the overpriced slc. I have had both. I now own the 8x42 older ranges. Not quite optically what the el’s are. But they are excellent, and i like the combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk