On being a flake

I've met only a handful of people that aren't a flake. Frankly though spending time with lots of different people, those people that aren't will push you harder and help you when you need it most and is overall I tend to make way more memories. Just like in life, screw having lots of friends, I'd rather have a few guys I can rely.

People will letcha down more often than not. I think it's somewhat of a generational thing...all the people I know I can rely on are past being middleaged. This is partially why I employ older people...I've hired people in the 30s who ghosted the job on day 1. Good hunting buddies are rare...i can usually tell how it's gonna go from the very first time i meet somebody in person. Trust your gut. I've shook hands with people and felt like I need to wash em right afterwards. I've met people I instantly click with. Respect is a requirement. If you're going fishing then you damn well better be there BEFORE we are to leave. Five minutes late and you are alone on the dock...the boat is gone. Same for hunts...you are either a partner or an asshole. I have a handful of hunting buddies and all of em are better at it than I am but I show up ready and eager to go...keep up and don't whine. Attitude is everything. I figure if somebody flakes then they have done me a favor...they'd be a problem if they had showed up. It's a regional thing...it's a maturity thing. Look for people that hunt that are older...they're less likely to disappoint and probably know a lot more too.

I was thinking about this. And I'll agree I have been a flake before. November 19 2018. Was supposed to meet buddy at a gate at 515. I hit the snooze button. He called . I felt guilty. He shot an elk at about 9 am. And I was up there helping pack out. Truth to the whole matter is I got way to drunk the night before and just wasn't having it. It still gets to me . And my buddy still gives me shit over it..Saying hey member that one time and I already know what he's about to say.. I quit drinking due to some questionable behavior like such . It's not who my father raised .

Ehunter

FNG
I am lucky I have had the same hunting partner for elk for 30 years. We push each other and share our meat and cost. But I know that's rare. Fortunately I have family to hunt deer with. We have hunted with flakes in the past. Now if they want to go fine if not they can stay home or leave early but we are hunting until the end. We always ask the new guys to drive separately so if the want to go home they can.