One bow, multiple setups?

Sawtoothsteve

Lil-Rokslider
After 14 years with a Mathews Drenalin, I am pushing it to the "back-up bow" bench in lieu of a new Mathews V3X 33. I now have the bow and am working on setup, and am wondering if running multiple arrows is worth the hassle. I will be using the bow for Elk, Deer, Bear, and Turkey (and goat if I can ever get drawn) in Idaho, but also planning to take it on a Caribou hunt in Alaska. I prefer a heavier arrow for Elk, but like the idea of a smaller diameter, lighter arrow for the smaller game to flatten trajectory and increase speed. I am not experienced with switching arrow setups between hunts in the same year, and wondering if others do this? If so, any tips for quickly resetting sites and tuning between the two is greatly appreciate. If you have experience with this being a bad idea, that helps too!

Thanks in advance for the replies!

Steve

RMM

WKR
I planned to do it last year for TAC (lighter smaller diameter arrow) to hunting season (smaller diameter arrow but about 150 gr heavier) but those arrows came from the factory with unthreaded outserts. In theory it shouldn't be hard at all to do. My biggest hurdle was going to be figuring out a different tape for my three pin slider. However, if you plan on using a different diameter arrow you're going to have to do a little more tuning.

HbDane

WKR
I tried the ol different arrows for different game thing. But after a long and annoying process I found that perfect arrow setup for my bow and use it for all game I hunt. If I ever go to Africa I'll probably change it but I'm confident my 503gn arrow traveling at 280fps can kill everything in north america no problem. Simpler is better in my opinion

Last edited:

4ester

WKR
I’m in the market for a second bow for the same reason…..

But more for hunting vs target archery.

When you change arrows you more then likely will be moving your rest. And then changing your sight too. And all that was a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HbDane

WKR
What made it long and annoying? Did you have to re-tune or was it just resetting pins?
All of the above really...

First I thought having multiple sights was the answer. But forgetting to change them out was the first annoyance.

Second, I'll have on sight multiple tapes but that didn't go so well either because of sticker backs and dirt, dust etc.

Third, different weights and broadheads meant different broadhead tuning which was a whole different world of annoying.

If I were going to have a dedicated different setup for different game, I think I would honestly have different bows at this point. But my thinking as juvenile as it is, my elk setup should prove successful for everything smaller. If you're shooting 650-700fn arrows then, I can see how it won't be good for speed goats or long distance but that's why I said find that "perfect" setup for your bow. The relationship between speed, accuracy, kinetic energy etc.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You have two bows now. Why not set up each for different arrow setups. I used to change my bow every year for 3D and then back for hunting in August. It's doable, but it's much easier to just use whatever you're going to be hunting with. I'd pick an arrow setup that will work for all species and shoot it year round.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I change arrow weights and poundage all the time with no issues. I use a HHA sight and switch out their wheels. Pretty slick setup they have. I wouldn’t use different diameter arrows, though.

I’m new to tuning my own bow as I just got a press earlier this year but recently got a Tommy Hogg sight. I love the scale on the right side and using Archers advantage is so easy with the Tommy Hogg. For TAC this year I have a tape and know exactly where to place it based on the scale to start it. I’m currently working on my hunting arrows and once I get a tape I’ll be able to use the same scale system and can easily swap tapes on the fly. The only aspect that will not be perfect is my 20-40 pins as hunting arrow is heavier but the sliding pin and on will both be dead on and allow me to swap. If you did this with main hunting arrow and then had a “TAC tape” you could easily swap. This is for field point shooting I’m sure tuning broadheads will be much more complicated. Just an idea! I’m sure I will find issues with this as I just have TAC tape so far but it gives me flexibility in case I run out of arrows and need to shoot my hunting arrows. Hopefully that’s not the case!

OP
Sawtoothsteve

Sawtoothsteve

Lil-Rokslider
I’m new to tuning my own bow as I just got a press earlier this year but recently got a Tommy Hogg sight. I love the scale on the right side and using Archers advantage is so easy with the Tommy Hogg. For TAC this year I have a tape and know exactly where to place it based on the scale to start it. I’m currently working on my hunting arrows and once I get a tape I’ll be able to use the same scale system and can easily swap tapes on the fly. The only aspect that will not be perfect is my 20-40 pins as hunting arrow is heavier but the sliding pin and on will both be dead on and allow me to swap. If you did this with main hunting arrow and then had a “TAC tape” you could easily swap. This is for field point shooting I’m sure tuning broadheads will be much more complicated. Just an idea! I’m sure I will find issues with this as I just have TAC tape so far but it gives me flexibility in case I run out of arrows and need to shoot my hunting arrows. Hopefully that’s not the case!
Good stuff, thanks! I'll be looking more into the Spot Hogg sights to better understand them. I am already planning to acquire a slider sight..

OP
Sawtoothsteve

Sawtoothsteve

Lil-Rokslider
If I were going to have a dedicated different setup for different game, I think I would honestly have different bows at this point. But my thinking as juvenile as it is, my elk setup should prove successful for everything smaller. If you're shooting 650-700fn arrows then, I can see how it won't be good for speed goats or long distance but that's why I said find that "perfect" setup for your bow. The relationship between speed, accuracy, kinetic energy etc.
Thanks for the reply and advice. This may ultimately be the right answer for me. I have TKO shafts now, and will probably get some heavier arrows too (Axis? or FMJ?) for comparison and see what the "perfect" setup is for me.

After 14 years with a Mathews Drenalin, I am pushing it to the "back-up bow" bench in lieu of a new Mathews V3X 33. I now have the bow and am working on setup, and am wondering if running multiple arrows is worth the hassle. I will be using the bow for Elk, Deer, Bear, and Turkey (and goat if I can ever get drawn) in Idaho, but also planning to take it on a Caribou hunt in Alaska. I prefer a heavier arrow for Elk, but like the idea of a smaller diameter, lighter arrow for the smaller game to flatten trajectory and increase speed. I am not experienced with switching arrow setups between hunts in the same year, and wondering if others do this? If so, any tips for quickly resetting sites and tuning between the two is greatly appreciate. If you have experience with this being a bad idea, that helps too!

Thanks in advance for the replies!

Steve
i can't see it being worth it.... there is no perfect solution, but surely there is a good compromise.... i could see using different heads for different critters (of the same weight or combo of insert weights) but i see no good coming from multiple arrow builds.... not sure what your draw weight/length is but if somewhat normal (60+lbs and 27+" draw length, a 450-500gr arrow for everything isn't a bad place to be)

Holocene

WKR
I've pondered the same ideas, but decided it was best to shoot the same arrow for everything -- even target games in spring/summer. I've got a backup bow, but it's even set up with the same arrows to make life simpler.

If you have the time and skill to tinker and tune quickly, it's doable. If you aren't setup with a home bow shop, I'd say absolutely just pick a setup that can get everything done and go with it. You'll have tons of confidence and be automatic with your shooting.

Once I get my setup dialed, I write everything down and just focus on shooting -- not tuning and tinkering. There's a kind of mental relief and confidence once you get to that point. When something happens to nock my bow out of tune and I have to get in that mental mode again and can't just shoot, I am grumpy grumpy.

Why not make your heavy setup on one bow and the light setup on the other? I ran a different arrow on my backup. I have no plans of hunting bear or caribou, but if you were not going too heavy you could tune both bows to shoot a moderate arrow; and use that arrow for everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roughneck

FNG
i use a 490gr arrow for all my hunting and i used it for TAC last year. i plan on running the same setup this year too. this year i am shooting a 70lb bow at 29" draw and arrow is 285fps out of the Mathews V3X33

I tried the ol different arrows for different game thing. But after a long and annoying process I found that perfect arrow setup for my bow and use it for all game I hunt. If I ever go to Africa I'll probably change it but I'm confident my 503gn arrow traveling at 280fps can kill everything in north america no problem. Simpler is better in my opinion
If you head to africa your setup now would be perfect up to eland