Ongoing Research on Transmission of CWD to Humans

harge57

Lil-Rokslider
With even the slightest possibility of CWD transfer to humans, why would anyone take the chance, when it is so easy to have your harvest tested. Virtually everyone take precautions daily to protect their health, be it exercise, getting regular physicals, taking vitamins supplements, watching their diets, so why not take precautions with the game they harvest.
Once it makes the jump to humans then I will change my behavior. As of now the chance of it jumping to humans has been 0%. The odds that it eventually jumps to humans is probably less than 1%. The odds I will be the first case that it happens to is 1 in millions. I am not going to discard an entire elk with those odds.

You are exponentially more likely to die getting Salmonella from eating chicken, and I bet you still eat that.

Yoder

WKR
CWD isn't just in the spinal cord. Animals can transmit it by touching noses or coming in contact with bodily fluids. Deer aren't transmitting it by eating each other. Why would this be any different for humans? If it jumped to people, it could be spread through coming in contact with bodily fluids. It could be a sexually transmitted disease with an incubation period of several years and a 100% fatality rate. Imagine how many people could be infected in several years before anyone had symptoms.

So far I had covid 20, Chinese taking out the power grid, AI murdering us all, Alien invasion (space not illegal) and Joe Biden winning the next election on my end of days tinfoil hat list. I forgot about CWD. :D

LostArra

WKR
Hunt cows and does. No head removal.

Do skull cleaning beetles get infected by prions?

I'm not sure you could get a CWD test in Oklahoma if you wanted one. Maybe at the vet school.

I'm guessing more people have gotten sick from lettuce contamination than any deer disease.

Plus, the KNOWN health risks of alcohol consumption sure don't seem to be slowing drinking habits except maybe Bud Light.

In the words of the late, great Warren Zevon: "Life will kill ya"

OP
Rick M.

Rick M.

WKR
CWD reminds me of the whole covid ridiculousness.
Let's keep this thread on track please. We are discussing CWD, specifically regarding the possibility of humans contracting it in the future, and how that may or may not impact hunting practices and regulations. Please resist the urge to unnecessarily veer this topic into political / nonsensical territory. Thank you.

OP
Rick M.

Rick M.

WKR
Jesus Christ... too late. I'm starting to feel like we can't have serious, nuanced discussions here anymore. If there's a mod out there, please just close / lock the thread. Two pages in and we already have Biden, Fauci, Covid, etc. making appearances 🤦‍♂️. May be a good idea to outright ban political discourse if you guys want to keep this a quality forum.

wmr89

Lil-Rokslider
I cant even imagine how many people have eaten a CWD positive animal. If some day in the future a human finally catches it what does that equate to in terms of risk? I am sure we all do things daily with a higher probability of killing us.

IF (the magic word in this thread) it were to jump to humans the prognosis would probably not be great. Current prion diseases that do affect humans have no good treatments, no cures, and are all fatal.

LostArra

WKR
Let's keep this thread on track please. We are discussing CWD, specifically regarding the possibility of humans contracting it in the future, and how that may or may not impact hunting practices and regulations. Please resist the urge to unnecessarily veer this topic into political / nonsensical territory. Thank you.
Humans getting CWD is click bait speculation at this point. Anti-hunting groups love the discussion. It's scary. "Zombie deer"

If deer hunters ever start dropping from prion diseases then deer hunting will take a nose dive and become deer killing strictly for population control.

ahlgringo

WKR
If everyone in the country ate prion infected ungulate nervous tissue- then it would probably occur (crossover) over time. Luckily the % population that consumes even non-nervous tissue ungulate meat is relatively low. I would be very surprised if crossover occurred in my lifetime (which is prob about 1/2 over).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Rick M.

Rick M.

WKR
Humans getting CWD is click bait speculation at this point. Anti-hunting groups love the discussion. It's scary. "Zombie deer"

If deer hunters ever start dropping from prion diseases then deer hunting will take a nose dive and become deer killing strictly for population control.

The discussion that I linked / referenced had nothing to do with political discourse, anti-hunting, zombie deer, etc. It's an ongoing study being conducted by the University of Minnesota by a very well-respected epidemiologist. The study works with both the Minnesota DNR as well as hunters. The thread was meant to discuss the "what if" regarding human transmission of CWD and it's effects on hunting.
I get that CWD may sometimes be used in the way you described, but that's not what's going on here. Some of us (myself for sure) definitely want to know if / when this disease makes a jump to humans. It would be enough for me to move away from ungulate hunting and shift to upland / small game exclusively. But that's just me.

What was political about my original statement?

You want to have a serious "nuanced" discussion, then by all means, but don't sit here and act like anyone who doesn't share your fear should be banned.

OP
Rick M.

Rick M.

WKR
What was political about my original statement?

You want to have a serious "nuanced" discussion, then by all means, but don't sit here and act like anyone who doesn't share your fear should be banned.

For one, I didn't ask for anyone to be banned, so calm down. You responded to a thread about CWD research with a comment about "covid ridiculousness". We aren't talking about Covid (which we all know is political), we are talking about CWD. Lastly, my comment wasn't alluding to only you, even though yours was the first off-topic response. There were several dimwitted comments that came after yours.

Let me put it in a way a child can understand - please keep the topic about CWD or move along to another thread.

cnelk

WKR
Okay - here’s what you do…

Go to your doctor and tell them you want to be tested for CWD.
Every year along with your physical.

What do you think their response will be?

For one, I didn't ask for anyone to be banned, so calm down. You responded to a thread about CWD research with a comment about "covid ridiculousness". We aren't talking about Covid (which we all know is political), we are talking about CWD. Lastly, my comment wasn't alluding to only you, even though yours was the first off-topic response. There were several dimwitted comments that came after yours.

Let me put it in a way a child can understand - please keep the topic about CWD or move along to another thread.
I'm as calm as calm can be haha. The comment was about CWD. There are many similarities between cwd and covid, whether you like it or not.

IF (the magic word in this thread) it were to jump to humans the prognosis would probably not be great. Current prion diseases that do affect humans have no good treatments, no cures, and are all fatal.
Im not referring to the risks of the disease. Im talking about the risk of getting it. Lets say someone gets it. It would be what, .000001% chance or something so small? Probably people reading here taking medications with a higher risk of killing them. People smoking and drinking have a higher chance of catching terminal diseases. You have a much higher chance of so many things killing you. CWD is probably not something I would worry about. However, Im not faced with the real risk so maybe my opinion would change. I have a much higher chance of dying every time I go hunting I know that.