Opinions on which 280ai to keep

Ikmclean

Lil-Rokslider
I just got the Tikka this spring so I have not hunted with it. I planned to this fall but then I got a suppressor so I build a 20" 7 SAUM that I am going to use.
If you end up happy with the sawm, I'd sell both 280's and spend the money on tags!

bushpilot

Lil-Rokslider
I have just come into the same position as you after dancing around a lot of different rifles and calibers. My svelte Kimber 280ai is my favourite hunting rifle and covers almost all of the hunting I do 350 yards and in. I am in the process of procuring a heavier 280 ai (8-9lbs setup) for longer range play or for hunting where I can stretch it out further. Lots of benefits of having two different setups in the same caliber.

I think you are in a ideal situation where a few bucks to shorten the Kimber barrel up a bit and modify the tikka to suite, and you are off to the races. You couldn’t ask for better rifle foundation than you already have.

Unckebob

WKR
Nope. I dont see the value in a full custom. Too many really good factory options including a Tikka with a prefit. My rifles are for hunting and a 1/4" difference in accuracy doesnt do me any good in a hunting situation. That is assuming the custom will even shoot that much better. Also assuming my reloading skills are that good. I also have plans so move away from reloading.

I assume the CF is a prefit. Can you sell it and buy a shorter prefit?

Kimber barrels tend to be thin which allows then to be very light. Is it possible to have its barrel cut and threaded?

OP
MuleyFever
I assume the CF is a prefit. Can you sell it and buy a shorter prefit?

Kimber barrels tend to be thin which allows then to be very light. Is it possible to have its barrel cut and threaded?
Those are both options. I have been wanting a 6mm CM so the TIkka may go that route.

H.C.O

FNG
Love 280al, nice caliber choice. Both of those are great rifles, can’t go wrong with either but I would hold on to both unless it was a situation where I absolutely had to.