Optic for tikka 6.5x284 build

mattwill00

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all you optic nerds out there I am in desperate need of some direction. Growing up in Ohio I never really paid much attention to rifles/optics until I moved out west. Been mostly an archery guy prior to this. But I started putting together a tikka chambered in 6.5x284 that I will be using for mule deer, late cow elk, pronghorn, etc and want to put the right optic on this thing. I love to shoot and have been getting into it more and more and want to be able to take this to the range and not feel limited if I try to push it out to 1000 eventually.

I’ve scoured this sight for reviews and direction and it’s led me to a few different choices all around the $1400 range which is about my limit. Been looking at the maven rs1 with ballistic turret (zero stop is important to me as I want to be able to dial), NF SHV (the lower power models don’t have zeroset), leupold mark v from a buddy ($1500), or anything else anyone can recommend really.

i really want to like the maven but can’t get my hands on one to check it out, and something Scares me about buying a company’s first rifle scope (I know they have a solid rep, just uneasy about how “proven” they might be). The leupold scares me with how lightweight it is, and all of the threads about tracking issues/QC although these seem to be really related to the VX models. And finally the SHV reviews are a little less than stellar on the glass. Seems to me like a lot of folks think they are overpriced due to the NF name, and the no zeroset worries me a little.

i know I’ll probably get a bunch of different opinions about this, but what’s the flavor of the month for $1400ish hunting/range optics right now? Any reviews on any of these scopes would be a huge plus.
Thanks

JakeSCH

WKR
You are right, you will hear opinions on all of them plus a few others but all are good scopes. As for the maven, I've hunted hard with it since it came out and it will be accompanying me again to CO this next week. It's well made and I like the glass. I would say the only "downside" is the weight at 25 oz.

My recommendation is to get a few you like and find one that pops up in the classified on your list.

22lr

WKR
If I was in your boat, I'd go with the new Vortex LHT in a heartbeat. Not super heavy and so far tons of great reviews. Realizing I'm that on sale they are half of your budget... but for me... they are a great compromise of features and weight while still retaining a lot of good long range usefulness. I like the PST or Razor line for range/tactical guns but they are heavier than I prefer for hunting applications.

I have a first gen PST 6-24x50 FFP and have had it on a half dozen rifles for the last 6 years. Its been bomb proof for me, just heavier than I'd really prefer.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I think you are overlooking Meopta and their offerings, as well as Zeiss. Lots of options in that $1400 price range.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
M

mattwill00

Lil-Rokslider
So I actually have a gen 1 viper pst 4-16x50 that I had on the tikka when it was a .308. I could never really get it to shoot right and I couldn’t really narrow it down to anything in particular. Although admittedly I never really tried. Part of me wants to get a new optic just to see if the viper (that I bought used) might have been the issue, or if I really am a 3+ MOA shooter. Which I really don’t think is the case but maybe I sincerely suck at shooting lol. Even when it was in a lead sled it wouldn’t shoot worth a damn. Back then I never really had the interest, time, or money to really track down the issue as I didn’t use it very much at all.

I’ll definitely check out Ziess and meopta and see what they have to offer. Add more choice into the mix to make the decision even harder lol

Appreciate the input everyone

I’ve been very happy with my SHV, I’ve installed 2 on buddies guns and they have been great. I also have the Meopta optika 6 which has been great as well and way under budget, I see the NXS pop up once in a while in your price range if your looking for SFP. My 4-14 SHV has zero set, and the glass leaves nothing to be desired for me, from what I’ve read it’s the same glass as the NXS

Last edited:
OP
M

mattwill00

Lil-Rokslider
That’s the exact deal I keep coming back to. I like mils. Radians make sense to me. I like the demo discount. Nightforce has a good reputation obviously. But I keep question if the extra $200 for the maven is the right thing to do. Is there really any difference to justify the extra cost?

ID_Matt

WKR
I think the new model zeiss v4 would be a great fit. I have 2 of the previous models and have no complaints. shot out to 1,000 quite a bit. Tracking is spot on and the weight is good. I also wouldn’t shy away from the mark V from your buddy. Most of the leupold complaints were the vx series like you mentioned, the mark v has been great. Here is my tikka 6.5-284 with a zeiss v4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
07705a286a9909cd35cc22312f0e64ce.jpg

That’s the exact deal I keep coming back to. I like mils. Radians make sense to me. I like the demo discount. Nightforce has a good reputation obviously. But I keep question if the extra $200 for the maven is the right thing to do. Is there really any difference to justify the extra cost?

I was looking at the maven also and could have got it for less than the SHV and went with NF, I wanted a MIL reticle and you can’t argue with the NF proven track record.

I think a 3.6-18 Leupold Mark 5 would be a great fit. Mine was under $1400 shipped brand new, you could likely find a used one in the $1200 range. Zeiss V4 is a great scope as well, lighter and more budget friendly, but I wouldn’t put them in the same class.