Optics cleaning in the field

I'm wondering what everyone is using in the field to clean their optics. I've always carried a leupold lens pen and a couple lens cloths. Curious if there is a better system out there. Thanks

MattB

WKR
I carry a few single use disposable wipes. Lens pens can collect grit which can damage lens coatings, so those are a no-go.

Last edited:

kpk

WKR
I usually carry a small puffer (because I usually have a camera too) and a clean microfiber. I honestly try to not clean glass in the field if I don't have to. I'd rather do it at home if it can wait.

nobody

WKR
I love the little brushes that come on the lens pens. I use that 95% of the time. I still carry a microfiber Spudz cloth, but I rarely use it unless I get mud or water on my lenses. I just feel like the brush will do less damage to the lenses, where a cloth will just push the dust around on your lens and will eventually cause scratching.

I NEVER use my shirt or gloves, good way to destroy your glass.

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
For the guys who use microfiber cloth: do you keep your cloth in bags, or do they just live in a designated pouch?

nobody

WKR
I have several of these that roll up into their own attached neoprene pouch with a handy clip on them. Every optic I own has one of these attached to it.
For the guys who use microfiber cloth: do you keep your cloth in bags, or do they just live in a designated pouch?
Same here as with @Brian Fahs. I use the one from Spudz, have them strategically placed everywhere

4th_point

WKR
I used to keep a clean microfiber cloth in a sandwich bag in my bino harness, fanny pack, camera bag, etc. Once used, I would wash them with soap, dry, and store.

Now I just keep a few of the factory vacuum sealed clothes stashed in the same way. I get them with cleaning kits for camera sensors.

However, I rarely use the microfiber anymore.

4th_point

WKR
A new makeup brush like the women use, and a square of microfiber cloth. Cheap easy and works just as well as the brand name systems.
I ditched my lens pens awhile back and started carrying a tiny brush that came with an electric razor. I don't use it on the lenses, but areas like the eyecups to get grit out that water may not flush.

OP
TrackerDan
Living in the Oregon coast jungle my optics get pretty dirty. The "scrubber" on the lens pen is the only thing that gets rid of the water marks. Will the Spudz cloth clean off the water marks?

J Batt

WKR
I only use a soft hobby paint brush. A soft bristle paintbrush wipes dust and smudges without grinding dust particles into the glass like a cloth on my finger has in the past. It takes a little longer to remove smudges than cloth, but it never leaves a scratch.