Optics options decision help

I live and hunt primarily in West TN. It is mostly hardwood uplands with lots of woods and “hollers” and some open fields. 400 yards is the max range that I practice and would take a shot. A lot my shooting is 75 yds or less. However, I plan to eventually take an elk hunting trip “out West” one of these days and I am in the planning stages for a P-Dog shooting trip next year.

My current hunting setup is as follows:

-Tikka T3X Lite .308 Trijicon Credo 3-9X40

-Tikka T3X Lite .223 Trijicon Credo 3-9X40

-Tikka T1X .22 LR Trijicon Credo 3-9X40

-Tikka T3X Varmint – TBD plan to setup for P-Dog shooting

With my current hunting in mind as well as the future hunting plans I was thinking about the following options:

Option 1: Keep all the current optics as mounted and purchase a Credo 2.5-15 to mount on the Tikka Varmint.

Option 2: Order three SWFA 3-9X42 scopes to mount on the Lites/T1 and a SWFA 3-15X42 for the Varmint

Option 3: Order three SWFA 6X and a SWFA 10X for the Varmint

I have really only ever used lower power SFP variable scopes (Leupold 2-7X33) or iron sights (Marlin 30 AW). However, since buying and mounting first Mil/Mil scope , I have fallen in love with that system. I want all my rifles to use them. (Hence all the Trijicon Credos above). I love having a “ruler on the windshield”. I haven’t really had a problem with the SFP scopes but I do REALLY like using the reticle and I can definitely see the advantages of having the reticle always match no matter the power (and the disadvantages of not).

I have an affectation of trying to make everything as close as possible to the same. If I could, I would love to have everything use the exact same reticle, even if it isn’t the perfect optic/reticle for the application, just because I am weird like that.

Which option would you choose or would you choose something different?

I appreciate any help!

OP
C
I should have said 400 yards is the max range I would be able to practice. I don't practice shooting that far now. I only shoot 150 yards now with any regularity.
400 yards is the longest unobstructed view on my property.

Ernie

Lil-Rokslider
Trij's are noticeably more expensive than the SWFA (2-15 versus the 3-15).
If you want to use the reticle, go with FFP.
Have you considered other FFP scopes?
Budget?

OP
C
Do you want a FFP or a SFP reticle?

I am open to both but I think I would prefer a FFP reticle. However, being all my experience is 150 yds and in and it relatively tight country with lots of trees with relatively light winds (compared to what I have seen out West), I don't know what I don't know.

I have never missed a shot on anything that I felt was because of my SFP scope.

But I have never shot at an Elk or a Prairie Dog.

Actually the vast majority of my shooting has been with a shotgun (bird hunting) or a pistol for CCW practice.

OP
C
Your .308 w/3-9x40 will work perfectly on elk out to 400 yds. That being said I have 3-15x42 on my elk rifle that I have really come to appreciate for the longer shots and older eyes. If you plan to hunt more open country with possible longer shot distances, the only change i would make would be to mount the 3-15 on the .308. But for reference, most elk are taken under 200 yds. So to each his own and you will get a lot of varying opinions.

I would prefer to be closer when I shoot. Not just for accuracy but also to experience "the hunt" more intensely, if that makes sense.

I think the biggest concern I have is with wind and distance. Where I hunt, it really isn't a "thing". I just put the reticle on the point I want to hit and pull the trigger. I don't normally need to hold for wind or make adjustments. The only thing I do is sometimes have to hold over/under some when shooting down hill on very small varmints.

In researching P-dog and elk shooting lots of people talked about dialing elevation and holding for wind and FFP scopes being the best for that since the reticle graduations are the same no matter the magnification.

So I was thinking that moving to a FFP or a fixed scope would be the best bet for that and if I were going to swap 1 gun, I would prefer to swap all of them so they were as close to the same as possible.

But I if others use SFP scopes, particularly for P-dog shooting, maybe just getting the Credo 2.5-15 would be fine.

OP
C
Trij's are noticeably more expensive than the SWFA (2-15 versus the 3-15).
If you want to use the reticle, go with FFP.
Have you considered other FFP scopes?
Budget?

Option 1 and option 2 are within $200 if I get a reasonable price for selling my Credo 3-9 scopes. Option 3 (All fixed) could actually be a little cheaper.

I would like to keep the price around $1,400 to make whatever change I am going to make.

I have looked at quite a few other FFP scopes but nothing that seems to match the weight/reliability ratio for the price of the SWFA. Lots of the are noticeably heavier or have lower reliability.

SWFA 3-9 hd is hard to beat for its price point. Availability is the issue. So you need to be able to hold on to your current scopes until you have the SWFA in hand.

Since getting one mounted on my 7RM I have killed three animals all one shot kills and dead in seconds granted that is shot placement and bullet used. Mule deer buck 210 yards, cow elk 505 yards, bull elk 505 yards. I don't feel like I was lacking in the scope department on those shots.

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
Based on your primary hunting and shooting with the occasional prairie dog or elk hunt mixed in, you’d probably be better off with your SFP set up…FFP can be pretty fine at zoomed out distances in low light (which is where illumination comes into play-but then need to check state regs for hunting as some don’t allow illuminated optics). Zoomed all the way in on prairie dogs might make the center of the reticle too large. Kind of a personal preference. FFP certainly is popular for long distance target and quick reticle holdover/windage at various ranges, but each have their tradeoffs.

There are some great deals on Trijicon SFP for the 3-18 & 4-24 ranges that would pair up nicely with the others you run at eurooptic right now

OP
C
Based on your primary hunting and shooting with the occasional prairie dog or elk hunt mixed in, you’d probably be better off with your SFP set up…FFP can be pretty fine at zoomed out distances in low light (which is where illumination comes into play-but then need to check state regs for hunting as some don’t allow illuminated optics). Zoomed all the way in on prairie dogs might make the center of the reticle too large. Kind of a personal preference. FFP certainly is popular for long distance target and quick reticle holdover/windage at various ranges, but each have their tradeoffs.

There are some great deals on Trijicon SFP for the 3-18 & 4-24 ranges that would pair up nicely with the others you run at eurooptic right now

I keep my scopes on low power most of the time because I do quite a bit of my shooting from improvised field positions or sitting. The lower the power the less I tend to chase the reticle. On top of the fact most of my shots are in tight cover and fairly close. Even when I am trying to shoot little groups on paper or very small critters, I try to use the least power that I can resolve the target. That, combined with my research on P-dog shooting where experienced shooters might start out at high magnification but have to back off due to mirage. I have concerns that a higher magnification SFP scope (like the 2.5-15) would be at a disadvantage for me at distances where I would need or want to use the reticle to hold for wind or hold over.

That was one of the reasons I was seriously considering the Fixed 6X and 10X scopes. I have been playing around with my current 3-9 scopes set at 6x and I don't feel like I would be at a tremendous disadvantage at that power, if the mils were actually mils. However, I don't know if a 10X is enough for P-dogs or not.

The guy that just got me interested in going P-dog shooting showing me pictures of his trip was using a Arken FFP scope (not sure which model, I was going to ask him about it tomorrow). He said the FFP was a huge help in the wind for him.

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
I think those higher power credos I mentioned are accurate at half power in the reticle which would be halved at full power so you could still use the reticle for hold over…just a thought. If you’re set on trying out a FFP, go for it. Just read your use case and your desire to keep things constant (reticle/brand) for familiarity between platform. (Added 3-18x reticle pic…see bottom for holdover conversion)
IMG_8125.jpeg