Optics question

btmonnat

FNG
Looking for a scope that will be used 400 yds and under. I now have a 2.5-10x44 Vortex Viper because on my weatherby accumark 7mm rem mag. Wondering if I would be better at dusk and dawn ( low light conditions) with a Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44 side focus illum. Firefox Duplex. Any know or have any experience or knowledge of this scope?

I have the VX5 in the 56mm and yes, you will have a better, brighter image than that Vortex scope. The Leupold will have better glass so that will help, but if you step up your objective size, it will gather more light as well.

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
I have that exact scope on my rifle. I’d say you can run it pretty late in the day and early in the morning. I’ve never had a problem running from legal shooting light to legal shooting light. The bigger objective would make it even better, but I think the 44 mm objective should do fine.

OP
B

btmonnat

FNG
Also after more research am thinking about the trijicon accupoint 2.5-10x56 with fiber optic reostat light gathering dot. Really like the idea of no battery. Not really sure on glass quality. Any thoughts or experiences with this model?

OP
B

btmonnat

FNG
I have that exact scope on my rifle. I’d say you can run it pretty late in the day and early in the morning. I’ve never had a problem running from legal shooting light to legal shooting light. The bigger objective would make it even better, but I think the 44 mm objective should do fine.

From what ive read on here for reliability, Trijicon is the way to go over Leupold.
I did read somewhere that the tritium fiber optic would last 10 to 15 years. Have no way of knowing if this is true or not. Trijicon does have many good reviews.

I have used an Ollin this last hunting season. I have really enjoyed it. Its nice to be able to just snap it on and press record without having to adjust anything. Used with Iphone 14 pro and a Swaro ATS hd.

OP
B

btmonnat

FNG
After much research this is my findings but keep in mind I have only seen a leupold vx 5 hd. #1 Schmidt & Bender (cost to much), #2 Trijicon Credo HX, #3 Trijicon Accupoint, #4 Zeiss Conquest and #5 Leupold VX-5HD. I might be wrong but I think without the parallax adjustment it would be hard to get a crystal clear image, so I kind of ruled out the Accupoint. Clarity and light gathering are my top priorities. Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated because I am 67 years old and this will be my last scope purchase for my long range gun.