Options for a short barrel "brush" gun in bolt action?

tdot

WKR
My Father in Law keeps finding absolutely gorgeous older rifles, for next to nothing. His most recent addition was a 1930's Mauser action husqvarna from Sweden in 9.3x57, iron sights, 18" barrel. One of the easiest/fastest rifles I've ever shouldered. I played with it on our bear hunt and will be on the lookout for something similar.

Ctpa61

FNG
Ruger 77 Compact rifle and have a front site put on it then grab one of the aperture sites that can be installed in the scope ring slot and you are good to go.

dkime

WKR
I tote the ruger ranch in 450BM, it’s honestly a bit shocking just how accurate this thing is and it’s hell on game. 215yds so far on a whitetail is the furthest with a pile of hogs at much closer distances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
I've got a Ruger 77-357 and love it. It's a solid 100-125 yd gun.

The 350 Legend has more hp and Ruger sells em w 16 and 18 inch barrels.

rayporter

WKR
if you want short and can stand a single shot a TC encore with a 20 in barrel is a short sucker.

i had 2 before i got my marlin guide gun. it did not take long for it to become a favorite.

eddiewiggles

FNG
Classified Approved
I’ve been pretty interested in a 338. Fed for a while. Not that I need one, but Savage makes a short barreled bolt gun chambered in it. It’s not hard to find a short barreled rifle with enough power to hunt with, it’s just deciding what you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varminterror

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a huge fan of Ruger M77 MkII and Hawkeye actions, but admittedly, they aren’t my first choice for a “short and handy hunting rifle.” The M77 action weighs about a half pound more than a Rem 700 type action, such a guy has to cut weight in the stock and barrel to match the same low weight target - which if done to the lighter action also, would yield an even lighter rifle. I carry Ruger’s hunting every winter, and have for ~25 years, but I recognize that I’m taking a weight penalty for any hunting style other than blind/stand ambushes.

Also as much as I enjoy big “punkin’ chunkers,” I have largely moved away from them for my brush hunting. I enjoy hunting with big hammers from time to time, but I won’t ignore the fact fast and light bullets do anchor game as fast or faster.

So for me, my particular answer to a short and handy deer/bruin boltgun would be somewhere between 6.5 creed/7-08 and 338 Fed, in a suppressed 16” barrel with a tube type action. I likely won’t ever buy another Remington product, but would consider a Ruger American at the lower end, and likely build on a Defiance or Seekins at the upper end. Can’t wait for the Seekins Element to come available on the market as bare action for that very reason, in fact.

Mannsbuick

Lil-Rokslider
If truth be told, if i had to go into a thicket tomorrow with the chance of running into a bear or hefty pig, I'd really struggled not to take my braced, 8.5" AR pistol in .300blk. 20+ rounds, real quick like, will put down most anything.
That 8.5” AR vs. Glock model 40 10mm (which is issued to Danish dog sled patrols in Greenland for polar bear defense) vs Ruger Alaskan .454 Casull revolver hmmm, interesting debate for sure!!

Austink47

WKR
I have been known to sneak my wife’s Ruger American youth .308 into the woods every now and then. It is scoped but on low power it works pretty good.

robtattoo

WKR
I got around to finding & buying another original style Hog Hunter in .308.
It's wearing a Primary Arms 1-4x24 scope & it's awesome for a do everything inside of 200yds gun. 150gn Sierras at 2700 will get it done well enough. The only range-limiting factor is the scope. Center dot reticle are great for quick acquisition, not so great for long range precision.
20210328_224410.jpg

Mannsbuick

Lil-Rokslider
It's wearing a Primary Arms 1-4x24 scope & it's awesome for a do everything inside of 200yds gun. 150gn Sierras at 2700 will get it done well enough. The only range-limiting factor is the scope. Center dot reticle are great for quick acquisition, not so great for long range precision.
View attachment 387698
image.jpg

Fordguy

WKR
The op is asking for a brush gun, so presumably shots will be short distance. Ruger American ranch 450 is a great choice if you aren't concerned about ammo prices. If you're a bit more frugal, and want less recoil (I don't think the 450 has much recoil but...)- go with the Ruger American Ranch in 350 legend. Ammo can be had for around 20 a box, Winchester white box can still be found for 12-15/box. The barrel is just over 16" and is threaded if you ever want to add a suppressor. A brake is totally unnecessary for the 350, but it has plenty of oomph for deer and black bear (hogs too) at short distances (200 and under).

Mannsbuick

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 387698
View attachment 387698
My .308 Savage is also the hog hunter w/18” barrel. I’m thinking of going with Leopold 4x12x40. using vortex rings, which are around $100 or less. What are your thoughts?

Afhunter1

WKR
9E7130D4-C2BF-4364-9A3D-C30211682DF6.jpg02EB1128-A76C-4D22-B961-6E5257F8B7E8.jpg

I’ve got a rem custom shop 18” 350 rem mag with a 2-7x33 VX-R in Talley QD mounts that is the most perfect brush gun. So perfect that it’s grandfather had quite the reputation with grizzly guides in Alaska. I’d say save some money and buy yourself an heirloom quality gun.