Oregon Clear Cuts or Deep Timber for ANY Buck

Would like to hear some community members' thoughts on the best way to hunt blacktail the last 2 weeks of the season. Unfortunately I do not put in the time and effort to do the heavy duty scouting that most do on this forum. I hunt the north coast of Oregon and know two of the closest units pretty well in regards to area and accessibility. Though, I do not have specific bucks located or even good buck areas. I'm going to have 4-5 days of hunting for blacktail this year and not sure if I should spend my time focusing on glassing clear cuts or still hunting deep timber? I know the worse the weather, the better the hunting and later in the season is prime due to the rut. For the limited time I've hunted blacktails in the past I've focused on glassing clear cuts in the mornings and evenings and still hunting deep timber throughout the day with zero luck.

So if you only had a couple of days to hunt blacktails in the last week or two of the season, what would you suggest the best plan of action would be to possibly locate any legal buck?

One more thing, a lot of clear cuts I've glassed are extremely steep and not much vegetation on them. I'm assuming these aren't productive clear cuts? It's also near impossible to go by a clear cut that doesn't have heavy truck traffic on it. Does this matter? What do you hone in on when looking for potential clear cuts to have deer in them?

I know full well the low chances of harvesting a blacktail without putting in the scouting and pre-season efforts, but being out in the woods this time of year is a bonus and maybe I'll get lucky!?

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
I am still very much an amateur when it comes to consistently finding legal bucks. But I have read numerous blacktail specific books, listened to podcasts, read a ton of posts here and elsewhere, and spent several dozen hours in the field this year scouting and hunting. The public land clear cuts (on ODF property usually) are super pressured. I have spent hours glassing clear cuts, edges, reprod, and other various stages of growth clear cuts, and from what I can tell, IF there are deer in the area, they are extremely concealed in viable brush, or down in the timber away from the dozens of road hunters that stop and get out and scan. I am still in search of a legal buck this year, and my plan come the last few weeks is to try my best to get out during any storms or weather shifts in the morning or evening and hit places that are behind locked gates. In many areas along the coast, you can access some of the timber property with permits. I've talked to numerous seasoned hunters that noted how many bucks are actually bedded very close to the road, but where it's so thick you can't see more than 10 feet. In that last week or so, my strategy will be to hike into a spot, find a bench or any sign of fresh deer/buck activity, and try rattling while keeping a very close eye on the wind. Again, far from an expert, but have been absorbing as much info as I can over the years. Also note that many view coastal blacktail hunting as the hardest type of hunting in North America due to the terrain and availability of food, water, shelter, etc.

Not an expert, but I grew up hunting blacktail in southern oregon. Terrain and climate may be different than the Northern units, so take this with a grain of salt. In the past 10 years I've pulled 6 bucks through various seasons (some general, some muzzleloader or archery). I've never had a bit of luck glassing clearcuts, and I'm a lazy bastard who doesn't scout pre season.

From what I've seen, the only time a clear cut does you well is if it's away from a road (or at least unpressured) and if there's new growth in there. Burns can be really good if it's been a few years and they're regrowing. Blacktail will run the boundary of the cuts, popping out to snack on new tree tops but staying near cover. Otherwise, those gorgeous clearcuts that totally should house deer never seem to.

All of my critters have been in heavy timber, at close range. To date my longest shot is 90 yards. They don't seem to discriminate between super thick scrubby brush and heavy old growth timber, as they aren't hampered by either. But, scrubby crap is easier to hide in and isn't pressured much, so they're often bedded down in it.

For best strategies on using the last few days you have, I personally would scout around on Google Earth or OnX and find the most remote place you can drive back in to and then hike in a ways, and just start meandering. That strategy will get you laughed at by "serious" hunters, but if I haven't done any prep work then it seems to work better than overthinking things and trying to game the deer. They're out there. Just get out before daylight, hike your way through the woods, keep it quiet and slow, and stay out until shooting light ends. I killed my buck this year at 11:30 opening morning, in a stand of big heavy old growth that had been thinned a few years back and had some lovely new shoots coming up that my buck was snacking on.

541hunter

WKR
I’d be glassing clearcuts. I have found and killed bucks in super fresh cuts but feel I have found most deer in 3-4 year old cuts. Make sure you are glassing every inch of the cuts, not just areas visible from the main road. Many times people overlook deer because they are just beyond a slope break, or bedded in a draw that can’t be seen from easy access points.

If it is truly storming out I’d be hunting the edge habitat. And when the storm breaks be back glassing cuts. Some of the times I found the most deer is when a storm raged all night and the weather broke for the first few hours of light. Seems like there are deer everywhere at that time.

OP
O
Appreciate the ideas so far everyone! I do know of several timberlands that allow access, unfortunately most of them open up the gates for deer/elk general season.

From the opinions so far, my tactic of both glassing during morning/evenings and timber mid-day should hopefully produce some action. I just got to find some area that hasn't been hammered. Weather will help in how I decide to hunt also.

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
Not an expert, but I grew up hunting blacktail in southern oregon. Terrain and climate may be different than the Northern units, so take this with a grain of salt. In the past 10 years I've pulled 6 bucks through various seasons (some general, some muzzleloader or archery). I've never had a bit of luck glassing clearcuts, and I'm a lazy bastard who doesn't scout pre season.

From what I've seen, the only time a clear cut does you well is if it's away from a road (or at least unpressured) and if there's new growth in there. Burns can be really good if it's been a few years and they're regrowing. Blacktail will run the boundary of the cuts, popping out to snack on new tree tops but staying near cover. Otherwise, those gorgeous clearcuts that totally should house deer never seem to.

All of my critters have been in heavy timber, at close range. To date my longest shot is 90 yards. They don't seem to discriminate between super thick scrubby brush and heavy old growth timber, as they aren't hampered by either. But, scrubby crap is easier to hide in and isn't pressured much, so they're often bedded down in it.

For best strategies on using the last few days you have, I personally would scout around on Google Earth or OnX and find the most remote place you can drive back in to and then hike in a ways, and just start meandering. That strategy will get you laughed at by "serious" hunters, but if I haven't done any prep work then it seems to work better than overthinking things and trying to game the deer. They're out there. Just get out before daylight, hike your way through the woods, keep it quiet and slow, and stay out until shooting light ends. I killed my buck this year at 11:30 opening morning, in a stand of big heavy old growth that had been thinned a few years back and had some lovely new shoots coming up that my buck was snacking on.
This is exactly what I have observed as well. On the heavily traveled roads near clear cuts, they aren’t there (except at night).

Steeler: just keep at it, especially the last few days of that season.

I don’t know the answer to your question. I’m from the central coast and now live in the gorge. Im on a similar quest to figure out how to consistently find blacktail bucks in October. Mostly, it just feels like I stumble around in the woods and occasionally get lucky.

I’ve killed a couple bucks in clear cuts. The cuts are usually small pockets, 3-7 years old, and well behind locked gates.

I think persistence is your friend. I punched my tag today, bumped into a couple deer while walking to the stand of old growth that I was intending to still hunt through. It was decent habitat (creek bottom with new growth), but seemed pretty random. Just keep at it.

Hike into real early and find a comfortable place with a big view to sit and wait. It's amazing what you'll see when you're perfectly still.

JoeVon

FNG
Like mentioned above, watch those steep clear cuts early. Sit down and glass and you'll find the deer.

OP
O
I think it would be wise to discuss what type of clear cut to focus on. I've only seen deer (outside of hunting season) in cuts that have yellow feed (don't know what type of plant) or clear cuts with lots of 4-7ft saplings, brush, and what looks to be decent forage. There are a LOT of clear cuts that look like they got nuked. Hardly any new growth or so much brush that nothing seems to attract deer there.

Seems like private timberlands have better clear cuts to hunt than public. Both have pressure though.

I think it would be wise to discuss what type of clear cut to focus on. I've only seen deer (outside of hunting season) in cuts that have yellow feed (don't know what type of plant) or clear cuts with lots of 4-7ft saplings, brush, and what looks to be decent forage. There are a LOT of clear cuts that look like they got nuked. Hardly any new growth or so much brush that nothing seems to attract deer there.

Seems like private timberlands have better clear cuts to hunt than public. Both have pressure though.
This is a fair thing to bring up. Cleaned out clearcuts that haven't been replanted (often Forest Service) have nothing for deer to eat. But, cuts planted 3-5 years prior or so have a lot of new trees and shoots for deer to nibble on.

OP
O
This is a fair thing to bring up. Cleaned out clearcuts that haven't been replanted (often Forest Service) have nothing for deer to eat. But, cuts planted 3-5 years prior or so have a lot of new trees and shoots for deer to nibble on.
I've learned the hard way you can waste a lot of time glassing cuts that don't hold viable deer habitat, thus no deer.

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
I've learned the hard way you can waste a lot of time glassing cuts that don't hold viable deer habitat, thus no deer.
I also know some timber companies spray so for the next 12-18 months nothing grows. I was talking to a timber employee who mentioned that I should mark the clear cut I was at (logged in the last 3 months) for follow up in 2 years. Otherwise to look else where. 3-5 year old reprod is what he said they see the most deer in and around.

I also know some timber companies spray so for the next 12-18 months nothing grows. I was talking to a timber employee who mentioned that I should mark the clear cut I was at (logged in the last 3 months) for follow up in 2 years. Otherwise to look else where. 3-5 year old reprod is what he said they see the most deer in and around.
Weyerhaeuser sprays more than anyone in my experience. Most of the other companies just logout or hack and squirt, but weyerhaeuser helicopter sprays regularly. Hancock does some as well.

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
Weyerhaeuser sprays more than anyone in my experience. Most of the other companies just logout or hack and squirt, but weyerhaeuser helicopter sprays regularly. Hancock does some as well.
That makes sense based on the cuts and images I’ve seen. I know Starker does it to a much smaller degree. I haven’t ever hunting Hancock/Nestucca properties. I’d like to give it a shot, but I want to find areas that have more locked gates that I can hike into.

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
Its frustrating that most of the timber companies open up gate access for drive in during general rifle seasons. Ruins a lot of good hunting.
Yea it’s a double edged sword to say the least. That’s my concern is when they open the gate, suddenly a route that may get one or two hunters a week get dozens and dozens. I’m hunting with my 4 year old, but I have seen next to nothing doing the road hunting model (drive, stop, look, drive).

Its frustrating that most of the timber companies open up gate access for drive in during general rifle seasons. Ruins a lot of good hunting.
Look for Murphy ground. They're pretty notorious for locking things up right but allowing hike through. It could very well be regional, but locally only about 10% of Murphy ground isn't locked up

541hunter

WKR

I work for a timber company. You would be surprised how many threats I get and how many people damage gates if we don’t open them, even if they are open to walk in. This year alone I have had to replace at least a half dozen locks, I have had to shovel poop and rotting fish guts from around our gates, and been yelled at. It never ceases to amaze me. I try to explain to people that the hunting is much better when the gates stay closed.

I work for a timber company. You would be surprised how many threats I get and how many people damage gates if we don’t open them, even if they are open to walk in. This year alone I have had to replace at least a half dozen locks, I have had to shovel poop and rotting fish guts from around our gates, and been yelled at. It never ceases to amaze me. I try to explain to people that the hunting is much better when the gates stay closed.
I build roads for timber companies and we get the same thing. Especially when folks know you have keys to every gate, they get insanely pissed when you won't just let them in