Oregon Mountain Lion suggestions

I'd like to take some time and go for mountian lion now that everything else is out of season. I'm eyeballing the Wallowas or the Blue Mountains but I'm not familiar with the Blue's in winter and I haven't been to the Wallowas. I normally hunt Trask, and can go there again, but want to go somewhere with snow based on my understanding of that being the easier way to hunt them.

Does anyone have an opinion on where the best spots to hunt lion would be? I'll be going solo, and I plan to backpack in.

Hoodie

WKR
Tons of cats in the Cascades. Plenty of snow up there and closer to home if you live near the Trask. Downsides would be limited glassing. If you´re just planning to track/call though it´d be fine.

I don´t really get after lions, but I would assume they should be hanging around where the highest concentrations of deer/elk are. This time of year that shouldn´t be too high up in most areas, so it might not be necessary to backpack in too far. Again, just spit-balling.

If distance is at all an issue you definitely don´t have to drive to the Eagle Caps to find snow and a healthy lion population. Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
U
Tons of cats in the Cascades. Plenty of snow up there and closer to home if you live near the Trask. Downsides would be limited glassing. If you´re just planning to track/call though it´d be fine.,

I don´t really get after lions, but I would assume they should be hanging around where the highest concentrations of deer/elk are. This time of year that shouldn´t be too high up in most areas, so it might not be necessary to backpack in too far. Again, just spit-balling.

If distance is at all an issue you definitely don´t have to drive to the Eagle Caps to find snow and a healthy lion population. Good luck.
Any recommendations for accessible places to hunt in the Cascades? That would be a whole lot closer. More populous but more accessible.

Hoodie

WKR
Iḿ mostly familiar with the northern units. I´d suggest somewhere in the upper Clackamas drainage on the west side, but that entire area is still closed off from the fires. I´m not sure about the closures further south towards the McKenzie.

If it were me, I´d look for the best potential deer/elk winter range available on public land and hunt around the snowline.

There is an ODFW Wildlife Area on the lower east side of Mt. Hood NF where they put out feed for deer/elk during the winter. It´s closed to public access from Dec-Mar I think, but you could maybe hike up into the NF land around the wildlife area and try to cut a track or do some calling. There are good cat numbers in the summer range that those elk/deer migrate down from. Gonna be tough no matter where you go.

You try any calling in the Trask? I know guys have some success with that.

nidaho

FNG
I would hunt in snow and run roads in the early morning looking for tracks just like we do for hound hunting. Then set up and do your calling or track down. I have no experience hunting with out hounds. Other than one that I called into bow range during elk season.

Tons of cats in the Cascades. Plenty of snow up there and closer to home if you live near the Trask. Downsides would be limited glassing. If you´re just planning to track/call though it´d be fine.

Good advice, I hunt the coast, but if I felt like traveling to hunt lions it would be in the cascades. Southern Oregon would be my choice like east of Medford, but anywhere deer winter lions will be

Ohh well if I were you I'd stay as close to home as possible.
Odfw pays more houndsmen in the ne then they like to admit.
Plus the snow has melted and re frozen making it impossible to access most areas by truck.
I think it will be must harder to locate a track then you think . That's why I say stay close and go often.
I spend alot alot of time on winter range and I'm also a track looker. And I bet I only cross 2 lion tracks a year that I think are fresh enough to be realistic.
Spend time in areas where you know prey winters and you'll see one eventually.
Also in these snow conditions dry clothes and boot dryer are necessary.

OP
U
I’m in Tigard so Hood area is the closest. I don’t think I want to try too close around there due to the snowmobile traffic right now. Heading south from there is realistic if I have an idea of where to go.

I have an Icotec game call. If it’s going to make a difference I can grab a better one. If anything I’m not opposed to getting some hiking and peaceful time in, but coming back with a cat would be great.

JeffP_Or

WKR
I wouldn't overlook some of the fringe areas where ranchers have animals either - especially if near winter range.

Northern edge of Mt Hood National Forest around Parkdale or Cascade Locks maybe? There often is accessible snow bound roads there that can be hiked, snowshoed or cross-country skied. Besides of that being the region of our sole cougar attack, I am aware of a few gentlemen ranches there that have had stock kills by cougar.

Winter range on Central Oregon around Bend and Prineville could be an option; juniper stands and rock cliffs. Plus, the snow is usually easier to drive on while looking for tracks over in the desert.

As for callers, I have read Rainshadow calls has the sounds dialed in; use google.

Might not hurt to put a call into a regional biologist to see what they have to say once you land on a region.

bbell

WKR
I hear people see a lot of cougar sign in the metolius unit. It has a lot of roads so covering ground there could be an option.

OP
U
I hear people see a lot of cougar sign in the metolius unit. It has a lot of roads so covering ground there could be an option.
Are you talking about the Camp Sherman area, up in there? Or closer to the PCT?

bbell

WKR
Just generally the unit. When ever I read reports of the muzzy or late archery hunts it always seems that guys are talking about seeing cougar kills and sign. I would imagine this time of year lower is better anyways.

Hoodie

WKR
Are you talking about the Camp Sherman area, up in there? Or closer to the PCT?

I'll preface this by saying I don't have any on the ground experience in the Metolius, just looked it over a lot on OnX/Google Earth.

I would think the PCT would be way too high. Camp Sherman/Green Ridge area should have more wintering deer/elk.

That is definitely a unit where you hear people complaining about predation a lot.

Most of the lower end is closed to motor vehicles for the winter. Download the map.

Also be prepared to get harassed by cops lots of poaching.

OP
U
Most of the lower end is closed to motor vehicles for the winter. Download the map.

Also be prepared to get harassed by cops lots of poaching.
That's good to know. I haven't seen ODFW out hunting before but that's a good head's up.

That's good to know. I haven't seen ODFW out hunting before but that's a good head's up.
The sergeant lives in Sisters hes actually pretty good for a cop lol.
He has a silver dodge.

I'm just bitter because I had hounds for a few years and they harassed the crap out of me and I wasn't doing anything wrong.
I lost alot of respect.
But again I'd talk to him again based on my first experience.

Barbara B

FNG
So my family is having a problem with a mnt lion at the moment. We've been hearing it early in the morning. This morning about 4:30 it had what we think was a coon down at the river. We live on the coast and way out in the middle of nowhere. We also have old dogs whom we are afraid that it is going to come after. Our neighbors dog is missing as I type this. What is the best way to make sure that we can take it out once and for all? I should say how can I get a clear shot at it...

JeffP_Or

WKR
No expert here but:
  • Predator call for it - but give them time. They are not coyotes and apparently take well into an hour. The difficult part is the timing; I understand in a situation like you describe, they are itinerant and roam their territory meaning they won't be there every day or even every three days - it might take them a week to cycle back through unless they have a large kill in the immediate area to feed on. Rabbit and deer distress. They are fond of porcupines but I have no clue how to sound like a distressed porkie.
  • If they have a kill on the premises - sit on it. Do not remove it, uncover it or put a lot of human scent around it. Get your vantage point and sit on it - especially early and late.
  • Game cameras will help set up the pattern on both scenarios above.
  • Bait them - legal for cougar in Oregon. I've heard of anything from staking a young goat out in the open along a treeline to just placing carcasses or gut piles. Not really certain how that might go down.
  • If it is harassing your livestock/chickens/whatever - file reports with ODFW - then when/if you get it killed in the act, there is less chance of them or Fish & Wildlife giving you a hard time about it [precedence]. Again, if you have lost livestock, file it with ODFW. They are required to act [ODFW really is not the enemy IMO].
Keep in mind, with the population we have in Oregon, as you kill one it opens up territory for another. Right now, in many areas here, they are struggling for territory and it can get filled back in quickly.

Are you calling? Do you have an e-call?

This is an older thread, I wonder how it went last winter!?!?

Boot hunting with Lion vocals is the best way to hunt without dogs. there are a few basics, Jeff mentioned some good ones, but that's where to start!