Oregon spring bear

541hunter

WKR
i will be in the SW as well!

i heard some folks didn't draw the SW tag as first choice.... if that's true, that's a bad sign. spring bear hunting has blew up in popularity.... they need to adjust tag numbers or make the whole state otc and close areas off as quotas are reached like they do with lion hunting.... that would be best case scenario imo

I didn’t draw my SW tag for the first since I have been hunting... I’m pretty disappointed as I look forward to this hunt every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I had two friends not draw SW tags first choice with zero points. Their app numbers were both ~7.5mil, the seed number being ~9.5mil, so definitely a surge in popularity. I'm pretty surprised given the increase in the number of SW tags (I think 4400ish to 4800ish).

Shoot, that's becoming a tough draw. NW was predicted to be a tough draw this year, even with the increase in tags, pretty nuts. (https://sites.google.com/site/oregontags/700-series---2021-spring-bear)

While on the one hand, I'm happy folks are getting into bear hunting and hopefully becoming bear hunting advocates, it's definitely concerning for limiting future opportunities.
i question how many people don't even hunt the tags they draw, and have heard a lot don't even buy the tag after drawing.... if that's true (which i think it is considering the source) those tags should go back up for sale. spring bear needs to go otc with area quotas. we can kill 3 bear per year in SW oregon per year, but some don't get the option to hunt them in the spring??? doesn't add up.... obviously not a bear biomass thing since you can kill 2 otc in the fall

i know how it feels to not draw a tag that was previously a sure thing, and i feel for you guys.... i'm sure i'll get to feel it again in the future

slick

WKR
Didn’t draw my first choice, and based on last years stats it was 30% odds second choice.

Not sure how/why ODFW allows fall harvest of 2 bears anywhere in the state OTC but doesnt allow OTC spring harvest in (at the very least) certain portions of the state

slick

WKR
Have to remember, a lot of people turned tags back in last year over covid????
I drew alsea

What’s your line of thinking here? Genuine curiosity

DRUSS

WKR
Many could return the tag they had and get points back or a point. So Going to this year all tags would show more point creep or tougher odds(sw). I may be wrong but I had a tag and was offered a return option. I kept mine and hunted though.

slick

WKR
Thanks for the clarification

DRUSS

WKR
I do agree with roosibull. I think we should have a tag sale deadline and tags not purchased by then should be in a second chance drawing like Idaho does.

slick

WKR
Looks like I’m headed to ID

541hunter

WKR
i question how many people don't even hunt the tags they draw, and have heard a lot don't even buy the tag after drawing.... if that's true (which i think it is considering the source) those tags should go back up for sale. spring bear needs to go otc with area quotas. we can kill 3 bear per year in SW oregon per year, but some don't get the option to hunt them in the spring??? doesn't add up.... obviously not a bear biomass thing since you can kill 2 otc in the fall

I’m pretty sure a large percentage of people that put in for the tag do exactly that. I rarely run into people bear hunting in the spring.

I'd like to see Spring Bear Sw be OTC and if they go over the limit in kill quota, then don't issue a 2nd fall bear tag.

Blacktailaddiction

Lil-Rokslider
I drew sw, I partied with someone with 1 point for a average of .5, so glad to say the least. I hate how few draw and don’t hunt that tag. Sorry for everyone stuck in that boat of not having a tag they will hunt.