Oregon spring bear

541hunter

WKR
A friend sent this to me
64f4455595d5f644a5d97c489e318106.jpg

DRUSS

WKR
Those numbers are amazing! How will this continue for other states draws? Or just Oregon for the regular big game draw?

541hunter

WKR
Last year there were Sw tags that went into the 2nd choice drawing. Odfw is saying there were 950 people who didn’t get it first choice, that means there were at least 1000 more people that put in for it than last year.

Wildbuck

FNG
NW Oregon tag for me. Going to be hunting out of a tree fort I built on the edge of our property that borders a timber company cut. Hopefully one of the kids can be with me or my wife when we pull the trigger on a bear.

Pro953

WKR
Those numbers are amazing! How will this continue for other states draws? Or just Oregon for the regular big game draw?

Reading my crystal ball, I think odds will be down across the board this year. So many folks skipped or could not hunt last year so all of that demand is pushed into 2021 apps. Folks that may hunt every other year or more casually want to get outside after all of this mess.

I do think the spring draws will be hit the worst. Would love to see some of the odds for states with turkey tag lottery’s as well. I think a lot of hunters that have focused on fall draws are a bit more antsy to get in the field and may have applied for spring hunts that they would not have in the past.

I also think folks are more apt to apply for something if it’s a draw vs otc. The perception being that if it’s a draw it must be a premium experience vs a otc hunt creates the fear of missing out.

Last we have certainly seen more spring bear hunts in the hunting media over the last few years and being a application hunt I received a lot more email reminders from ODFW, New Mexico, Idaho plug go hunt for all of the application deadlines. That certainly encourages some folks to jump in.

Glad to see the enthusiasm but a bit concerned for the shot show that may be the 2021 draw season and how packed the trailheads will be this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slick

WKR
2019 stats for you.

Of the 300 S Central tags available only 75 hunted on it.

I’ll try and dig down with a local bio to figure out how many people were first time applicants

2019 stats for you.

Of the 300 S Central tags available only 75 hunted on it.

I’ll try and dig down with a local bio to figure out how many people were first time applicants

that chaps me.

going tinfoil hat for a second, i wonder how many animal rights radical groups apply for tags every year just to tie the tag up so someone can't hunt it..... i would think it's naive to think it doesn't happen to some extent

TripleJ

WKR
that chaps me.

going tinfoil hat for a second, i wonder how many animal rights radical groups apply for tags every year just to tie the tag up so someone can't hunt it..... i would think it's naive to think it doesn't happen to some extent

I was kind of wondering a little about the same thing. Maybe not widespread but it probably happens.

I didn't draw over east but my youngest son drew SW so we will be bear hunting again at least this year

MSHJR

FNG
Heading back to hunt the Hood/white river unit this spring. Wishing for better luck this year, some friends of mine also did not draw their SW tag.

dwent

FNG
Drew SW. Guess I should count myself lucky since I assumed it was a given. The area I hunt for deer is littered with bear. This’ll be my first year going after them.

that chaps me.

I think it's the amount of new hunters and the popularity of the hunting media. It's the "cool" thing to do now. There are so many videos, articles and forums on hunting that anyone can get a laundry list of things they need to do it as well as an area to go from the internet and get started on their own. Not to mention all of the fancy gear that makes hunting so much safer and easier than it has ever been (relatively that is).

That being said, I'm sure what you mention does happen. It would be interesting to sift through various forums and Facebook groups to see what they're up to.

I think it's the amount of new hunters and the popularity of the hunting media. It's the "cool" thing to do now. There are so many videos, articles and forums on hunting that anyone can get a laundry list of things they need to do it as well as an area to go from the internet and get started on their own. Not to mention all of the fancy gear that makes hunting so much safer and easier than it has ever been (relatively that is).

That being said, I'm sure what you mention does happen. It would be interesting to sift through various forums and Facebook groups to see what they're up to.
i agree with you. i'm pretty young still, started hunting at age 16 and am now 37... in my relatively short time hunting, it's crazy how much the landscape has changed across the board. it wasn't long ago we had a ton more access and a lot less people out and about. i remember when it was cool meeting someone else who archery hunted.... haha. now i spend a lot of time and effort avoiding them.

i have lived in the Depoe bay/lincoln city area my whole life and it was never even a thing worrying about drawing a spring bear tag in the stott/alsea.... then it went to sometimes not drawing but getting a trask/wilson tag second choice every year, to not being able to draw a north coast tag every year to what we have this year. pretty crazy how fast that whole dynamic changed.

we just bought a place in Brookings, so i got the SW tag, and didn't even consider drawing or not... didn't even check until my sis in law said she knew a few people who didn't draw first choice.... then i checked.

hopefully ODFW adapts, it's not about bear numbers if we can kill 3 per year if you draw a spring tag.

Oregon

WKR
i question how many people don't even hunt the tags they draw, and have heard a lot don't even buy the tag after drawing.... if that's true (which i think it is considering the source) those tags should go back up for sale. spring bear needs to go otc with area quotas. we can kill 3 bear per year in SW oregon per year, but some don't get the option to hunt them in the spring??? doesn't add up.... obviously not a bear biomass thing since you can kill 2 otc in the fall

So common it’s not even funny. I didn’t draw NW tag last year(previous Wilson/Trask). 4 years ago that tag had 150 leftover. I hunt spring bear not fanatically, but at least 3-4 times a week. I never see anyone at a gate. I have buddies that apply to have the tag in their pocket “ just in case they’re up in the woods and one runs out”.

So common it’s not even funny. I didn’t draw NW tag last year(previous Wilson/Trask). 4 years ago that tag had 150 leftover. I hunt spring bear not fanatically, but at least 3-4 times a week. I never see anyone at a gate. I have buddies that apply to have the tag in their pocket “ just in case they’re up in the woods and one runs out”.
🤣😂🤣 “not fanatically but at least 3-4 times per week” 🤣😂🤣