Oregon spring bear

I've been on a couple West Blues hunts - super fun geography to glass - I've heard that the unit has a high number of blond color-phase bears and that's why so many people apply for the tag.
Can confirm! Grew up out there near La Grande and just love bear hunting in that country. Waiting to draw the homeland in the Spring again, but that August OTC season is just awesome, too! Great time to be out when nothing else is open yet and you get a chance at those cool color phases.

Love that folks can get up to 3 bear tags now! It'll always keep me coming back home, even if deer and elk hunting leave a lot to be desired.

No 4x4 or points, I'm going with the guaranteed NW tag. It'll let me scout for deer and dial in pack adjustments for later in season at worst, it'll put meat in the freezer and a hide on my back at best. 🤗
it's a good tag. not as high of densities as other areas, but still a good amount of bear. i saw around 30 last season hunting that tag. almost every really prime spring bear area i hunted i saw bear in. if i wasn't moving, i would be getting pretty excited about it.... as it is, i'll be hunting new country, which is good in it's own way.

also... remember to buy a lion tag if you are bear hunting anywhere in Oregon.... we have too many cats, and the sting of watching one walk by will be much more than the sting of buying the cheap tag! spring time is a good time to glass up a lion. i killed my first one that way

MSHJR

FNG
Yeah i hunt the coast for fall bear, trying to learn a new unit for all types of hunting. and the white river is within an hour drive for me. so it makes weekend trips easy

also... remember to buy a lion tag if you are bear hunting anywhere in Oregon.... we have too many cats, and the sting of watching one walk by will be much more than the sting of buying the cheap tag! spring time is a good time to glass up a lion. i killed my first one that way
I much prefer daylight encounters. I got stalked on 2 different nights in Idaho coming out solo in the pitch black. Nothing like seeing green eyes all of a sudden coming toward you in the darkness like something out of an African safari night video documentary.

Crossing my fingers for a spring bear tag in NE Oregon! The freezer is on E and bear is the best IMO. Plus, it's hard to beat May in the mountains with friends.

I will be putting in for white river/hood unit this year. I hunted it last year but no success. Anyone else have success in this unit before
There are some bears in these units, though the success rates are pretty low. I've hunted the spring and fall tags (kinda casually) a few times, but never closed the deal. Good luck!!

Hoodie

WKR
Iĺl be hunting Hood/White River this year as well. Gonna be hanging out low on the east side for spring season, then hitting the huckleberries up high for the fall.

This will be my first year putting serious effort into filling a bear tag. Probably gonna get my ass handed to me, but I figure if nothing else it´ll be a good excuse to find some new morel honey holes.

slick

WKR
I originally had a NE unit first choice, and the tag close to home as 2nd.

Decided I don’t want to play that game and would rather just hunt, so switched up the choices.

Might have to get up to the NE for the Fall opener

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buffalo

FNG
I put in for SW tag this year. Will be my first spring bear hunt and first Oregon hunt. Looking forward to it. Not exactly sure what I’m doing, but it’ll be an adventure.

Oregon

WKR
I've had the NW tag before, but this'll be the first year I put in a legit effort. Getting the SW tag and really looking forward to it. Probably doing a mix of glassing and calling, put a couple out trail cameras where I can. Anyone's general advice for either strategy is appreciated!
I’ve done pretty well over the years in NW.
Seems like my successful hunts revolve around a few things.
1. Warm afternoons. (60 deg plus)
2. Hunting til I can’t glass anymore due to darkness
3. Hunting areas behind gated roads
4. Hunting any areas that don’t face north
5. Starting around Apr 20.
6. Being extremely optimistic every time I go.
Bears just seem to show up. Go 8 times, and on the 9th, there he is. Always seems to work that way for me.

TripleJ

WKR
I’ve done pretty well over the years in NW.
Seems like my successful hunts revolve around a few things.
1. Warm afternoons. (60 deg plus)
2. Hunting til I can’t glass anymore due to darkness
3. Hunting areas behind gated roads
4. Hunting any areas that don’t face north
5. Starting around Apr 20.
6. Being extremely optimistic every time I go.
Bears just seem to show up. Go 8 times, and on the 9th, there he is. Always seems to work that way for me.
I think all 6 of your points apply to any spring bear hunt in western Oregon. There are exceptions of course, but if you follow these rules, you will maximize time in the field when the bears are most active. I would probably add another though, avoid heavy rain. In my experience, they seem to hole up a lot of times during the steady downpours; not always, just usually.

Oregon

WKR
I think all 6 of your points apply to any spring bear hunt in western Oregon. There are exceptions of course, but if you follow these rules, you will maximize time in the field when the bears are most active. I would probably add another though, avoid heavy rain. In my experience, they seem to hole up a lot of times during the steady downpours; not always, just usually.
I refuse to hunt spring bears in the rain. Even shower crap.
Pretty fortunate though, I can see most the hills I hunt from my house.
I stick with those rules, because as a younger more eager hunter, I went every chance I had.
Now I treat spring bear hunting similar to the Old Bull and Young Bull on the hill looking at a herd of cows story.

TripleJ

WKR
I refuse to hunt spring bears in the rain. Even shower crap.
Pretty fortunate though, I can see most the hills I hunt from my house.
I stick with those rules, because as a younger more eager hunter, I went every chance I had.
Now I treat spring bear hunting similar to the Old Bull and Young Bull on the hill looking at a herd of cows story.
Sounds like we look at it a lot the same way. I spent a lot of time when I first started hunting bears approaching it like I was hunting elk or deer. Needless to say I didn't see many bears. Since spring bear hunting for me now means at least a 1-1/2 hr drive each way, I try to make sure I maximize my opportunity to see a bear rather than burn up a bunch of gas just to go look at green clearcuts.

Am i the only one who's hunting partner waited to apply until 11pm last night? Lol.. bastard woke me up calling to double check what i put for 1st and 2nd choice

slick

WKR
My gf put in at like 9, and just checked with another buddy and he totally forgot.

Looking forward to this spring maybe more than any. I’ve got the itch bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk