Origin BDL options?

mlawrence125

Lil-Rokslider
I am putting a switch barrel rifle together on a Zermatt Origin short action. I have a McMillan Game Warden 2 stock with the M5 inlet. I currently have a Hawkins Hunter M5 bottom metal for AICS magazines for my standard short action calibers, but would like to pick up a BDL style as well for the second barrel which I am leaning towards 350 Remington Magnum. The 350 is a belted magnum, and will most likely be more reliable with a BDL style magazine. The problem I am finding is the only manufacturer of an M5 pattern BDL is Hawkins, and their M5 Obendorf uses the Wyatt extended magazine box, which is not compatible with an Origin action. Is anyone aware of another M5 bottom metal that uses standard magazine boxes, or an adapter/spacer to run a standard BDL in an M5 inlet?

Build Specs for those interested:

Zermatt Origin SA, Standard/Magnum Bolt faces
McMillan Game Warden 2.0 FDE Transitional Camo
Preferred Barrel Blanks 23" Double Diamond fluted barrel. Threaded with wrench flats
Maven RS1 with MOA Reticle
Warne Mountain Tech rings
Hawkins Hunter DBM
Triggertech Primary Trigger

Attachments

• action.jpg
    action.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 27
  • barrel.jpg
    barrel.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Stock.jpg
    Stock.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

rootacres

WKR
Does your Origin have a notched feed ramp (newer ones do I guess, older ones don't)? My understanding is the only reason you cant run extended length BDL mag boxes on the Origin is because there isnt clearance on the feed ramp. On my Origin I had to run a CFE-06 (SAUM) center feed mag box in a BDL setup. I am currently in process of having the notch completed and switching to the Hawkins Hunter DBM.

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
What's the original chambering, you mentioned 350 Rem Mag (had one, love it) so barrel #1 chambering would need to be a mag as well unless you have an interchangeable bolt face.