Out of 4 states to live.....

jmcd22

WKR
When did you move here? Seeing what it's done in the last 20 years has made me sick. I love it here but I'm slowly starting to not love it anymore.

Also always remember you can love the mountains with all your heart but the mountains couldn't care less about you.

I moved a lot as a kid (Army brat). It doesn't matter where you are currently - you'll always be wondering if there is someplace better. Good luck with your search. But, unless you just like shopping you might find that just picking a spot and getting into what is available there is just as good as looking over the next hill. Put it another way - I have relatives that have only lived within a 20 mile area and they are happy and fully satisfied with their lives.

pdxmatt

FNG
I moved a lot as a kid (Army brat). It doesn't matter where you are currently - you'll always be wondering if there is someplace better. Good luck with your search. But, unless you just like shopping you might find that just picking a spot and getting into what is available there is just as good as looking over the next hill. Put it another way - I have relatives that have only lived within a 20 mile area and they are happy and fully satisfied with their lives.

I try to come back to this perspective often. Live on a budget with healthy portion for travel and make sure your job has lots of time off. Most places in the West are amazing compared to much of the world, don't sweat it too much.

My wife and I have been doing extensive research on the same topic. We've narrowed it to CO or WY. Each have pros and cons but we're actually leaning toward northern CO I believe. We have a summer trip planned specifically to look at a few areas and hopefully make a final decision. Good luck with yours!
I've been in Northern Colorado for a couple of decades. We are looking at making an offer on a place North of the border. Let me know if you have any NoCo questions, or if you have any good anti-WY reasons.

ODB

WKR

A very true statement. Unfortunately I seem to be afflicted in the same way as PJ Pretorious, who said, “ I must have been born with the divine unrest of adventure.”

Okhotnik

WKR
Not to mention I heard Kanye set up shop there now too, PUHLEASE, if it were me it'd be Washington in a heartbeart, better winters, good wildlife populations and a good friendly city if the need arises. Wyoming is crap, Colorado is turning to crap, Montana and Idaho are freakin ice boxes. Don't believe the hype, everybody moving to Montana and Idaho are freakin jaded at this point, give them a couple years and they'll change their tune

Free needles and weed is legal in Washington and you can drop your pants and poop on the street anywhere here in Washington. Did I mention the FREE needles to inject heroin.

Okhotnik

WKR
I grew up in a town in Northern Michigan that was similar to what you describe. And I have the same urgings to go back. Unfortunately, when I go back to visit family the small town feel is long gone.

Not sure where in WA you were from but Eastern WA still has a few of those places left-fairly close to great big game hunting in the Panhandle of Idaho and awesome backpacking in the Cascades. Regarding retirement, the lowest cost of living anywhere in the country has to be NC WA due to power dams and no income tax. Check out Ephrata, Wa (Grant Co Seat). Nice small town just big enough for a McDonalds, Safeway and a regional Walmart but small enough to feel small town with decent small game and fishing opportunities locally. It’s central to the Bitterroots to the east and the Cascades to the west. Always had my eye on it.

GOOD THINGS HAPPEN WHERE MEN AND MOUNTAINS MEET—Captain Clark

Learn to speak Spanish if thinking of moving to Ephrata. E WA has a big Mexican drug cartel presence, lots of sureno and Norteno street gangs, crime etc. a good friend was shot and killed by an illegal alien in a small E WA town

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
If you want salt fishing and waterfowl that would be the only reason to even consider Washington on that list. Quality Elk hunting is almost non-existent. The tag I've applied for I have only drawn once in 15 years, when I drew it 5 years ago there were 100 tags offered in that unit. This year they offer 10. From 100 to 10 in 5 years...the odds are bad!!! Deer hunting is declining as well. I think the rifle season in Eastern Washington is 9 days long for mule deer...add 10 days to that if you draw a quality tag or hunt the high buck. It's short, the quality is terrible and tribes and predators are unmanaged.

JWP58

WKR
Free needles and weed is legal in Washington and you can drop your pants and poop on the street anywhere here in Washington. Did I mention the FREE needles to inject heroin.

Sounds like the front range of Coloradbro....but you get free narcan too. Wouldn't want anyone to o.d. or anything.