Outdoorsman Tripods.....still worth it ?

pc3

WKR
I have been debating switching over to the outdoorsman tripod system for a while.....but gee by the time it is landed in Oz I'll be a gorilla down, even with their 15% off Black Friday sale.

No real issues with VA5 and pro-master 525xm . Is that much of an upgrade ? I don't get to see/feel this stuff have to go by reviews etc.

I'd order the tall and probably the regular pan head, possibly the fluid head...which would be my preferred option.

The other thing is I don't see them mentioned as much anymore, I do feel they have nearly priced themselves out of most peoples budgets.

JDB9818

WKR
I love my setup. I have the medium (no longer made) tripod and regular pan head. I also have a few other plates, binocular studs, etc. and the system as a whole just works.

I had a carbon tripod setup prior to the Outdoorsmans, but the aluminum stuff is more solid for me. I have the Swarovski ATX with both 95mm and 65mm lenses and have 15's as well, so I appreciate the extra "beef" of the Outdoorsmans.

For me I wouldn't change anything.

fatrascal

WKR
The Outdoorsmans tripod has a lot of competition nowadays with some options being lighter. But if you are looking at using the tall tripod then I assume weight is not an issue. I have never used the tripods you mentioned so I cannot comment. But I do have a small Outdoorsmans tripod with regular panhead and I have the tall Outdoorsmans tripod with fluid head. They are great quality and very solid. One problem I have is when I try out a new tripod head I dont give it a fair chance because I'm used to my adjustments in certain places and its hard to get used to new adjustments. I still have an old Manfrotto tall aluminum tripod with a big Manfrotto fluid head and sometimes I still use it. Mostly because it was my first tripod and old habits die hard.
20200531_154738.jpg
The Outdoorsmans tall tripod with Outdoorsmans fluid head.
20190721_200855.jpg
The Manfrotto tall aluminum tripod with Manfrotto fluid head.
Fatrascal

BBob

WKR
The OD tripod will be heavier but far more stable than that Pro-Master. I've owned both and still own the OD but sold the PM. I own both the OD pan head and fluid head, for two different purposes. I have the pan on an OD tripod (first gen medium) for lighter trips and the fluid on a larger and even more stable RRS tripod. I tend to take the OD tripod and pan head when I'm limiting to 15's and spotter or less and take the RRS fluid combo when using big glass like BTX. If you have big glass and want a good overall weight compromise the OD tripod and fluid would be a great combo. An OD fluid might be overkill for 15's and smaller objective spotters but overkill doesn't always hurt. IMO OD heads have the best ergonomics for a glassing hunter. I've owned/own Manfrotto's and Siriu's and the overall package does not stack up to the OD offerings except cost.

OP
P

pc3

WKR
Thanks folks that's awesome. I did a quick analysis and below are weights of my current set up and OD tall with either fluid or pan head in oz. Thought others might find it useful.

Promaster Carbon 525 & VA5OD tall & fluid headOD tall & OD Pan

BBob

WKR
I’ll add the VA-5 is a more stable than the OD pan but not by a lot, it’s definitely noticeable though. The OD fluid is much more stable than the VA-5, bigger difference than the pan to va.

Reactions: pc3
I'd say absolutely not..
They've discontinued the medium, and prices have gone way up considerably...
After using a medium, panner and pistol grip for almost 7 years, I picked up a sirui 1204 and the va5 head.. it's better I feel in every way, and a lot cheaper

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
P

pc3

WKR
I'd say absolutely not..
They've discontinued the medium, and prices have gone way up considerably...
After using a medium, panner and pistol grip for almost 7 years, I picked up a sirui 1204 and the va5 head.. it's better I feel in every way, and a lot cheaper

Thats the debate isnt it....it'll cost me around $1300-$1400 AUD to "upgrade" from my Promaster/Va5 set up. Its a fair chunk of change......I need to buy an action for a build and its pretty well 50% or more of that. Every Black Friday I debate getting the outdoorsman set up.

Thats the debate isnt it....it'll cost me around $1300-$1400 AUD to "upgrade" from my Promaster/Va5 set up. Its a fair chunk of change......I need to buy an action for a build and its pretty well 50% or more of that. Every Black Friday I debate getting the outdoorsman set up.
Get a sirui... you won't be disappointed. I do like the smaller diameter legs of the outdoorsman but that's about it

hunt1up

WKR
I don't glass as much as some people, but I had an Outdoorsmans setup for I think 3 seasons and sold it. I now have PM and a Manfrotto head. The Outdoorsmans stuff is sweet, not knocking it, but I sold mine used, bought the PM setup, and had money leftover. I wouldn't "upgrade" but that's just me.

OP
P

pc3

WKR
I don't glass as much as some people, but I had an Outdoorsmans setup for I think 3 seasons and sold it. I now have PM and a Manfrotto head. The Outdoorsmans stuff is sweet, not knocking it, but I sold mine used, bought the PM setup, and had money leftover. I wouldn't "upgrade" but that's just me.
I didnt....sales over at the outdoorsman...i'll go through the process again next Black Friday ;)

So i'll stick with the promaster and VA5. My sons sirui tripod is really nice....I think it may be nicer than my promaster. I also prefer alloy over CF, just feels better. Maybe i'll try some nice Sirui alloy legs.

BRGT2

FNG
There are so many options. I clearly need to do more reading before deciding. Thanks for the info.