Overlanding Rig for Hunting?

fmyth

WKR
That was why I started hesitating about getting into a rig that gets 12-14 MPGs on a good day. All signs point to continued increases which causes me to be concerned with idea of a Tundra. Where I’m at in CO were see 2.94 all over the place.
I will be waiting to hear what MPG you average on your way home w the new truck. If you decide to track it you'll want to hand calculate it.

Vandy321

WKR
Overlanders have to be the vainest mofos this side of the Kardashians. Pitch a fricken tent, it's way more functional if a little less instagrammy. And the half ton you save in payload can be shifted towards gear for hobbies of people that actually do shit besides drive and take pics of their rig.

-proud stock Taco driver
Half ton in Payload...how uneducated are you on the topic? An entire GFC only weighs 270#. A decent set of springs and you can easily throw an extra 1k lbs in the bed (over your stock taco) with no sag. It's also family friendly for introducing the wife and kiddo to the outdoors and leaves space for the doggos to sleep in the bed.

...and I can still afford all the gear I want for solo trips, it's not binary. Imagine that.

The real question is, why are you so worried about how other people camp and what they take pictures of? No, I don't "overland", but I also don't make fun of them for seemingly no reason, everybody has their own hobby and their own set of needs, good on them for getting outdoors at all and if a nice "overlanding" setup gets more parents/kids out enjoying nature, even better.

Last edited:

elkyinzer

WKR
Half ton in Payload...how uneducated are you on the topic? An entire GFC only weighs 270#. A decent set of springs and you can easily throw an extra 1k lbs in the bed (over your stock taco) with no sag. It's also family friendly for introducing the wife and kiddo to the outdoors and leaves space for the doggos to sleep in the bed.

...and I can still afford all the gear I want for solo trips, it's not binary. Imagine that.

The real question is, why are you so worried about how other people camp and what they take pictures of? No, I don't "overland", but I also don't make fun of them for seemingly no reason, everybody has their own hobby and their own set of needs, good on them for getting outdoors at all and if a nice "overlanding" setup gets more parents/kids out enjoying nature, even better.

All in good fun man don't be so trigerred by my observations. Definitely some useful outfits among the noise.

cal30_sniper

Lil-Rokslider
I have a borderline overlandish rig that I built for hunting/scouting/camping/backpacking and general road tripping.

I’m able to carry enough gear to camp/eat very well for a week and still have enough room for sleeping in the nicely carpeted cargo area with extra thick sound deadening/insulation that I added during its last big rebuild. I camped through winter storm Billy this year during a hunting trip at 9000’ and was quite comfortable at night in near zero temps and heavy wind. Much easier to get up and get going in the morning when you aren’t freezing cold with wind blasting through the tent. Better sleep too, without wondering if that last rustle you heard was some critter about to join you in the tent.

Chains/shovels/spare parts/tool kit and bad situation survival gear hardly makes a dent in secure cargo storage area. 1 ton axles with ARBs, a 5 speed, twin stick 205, and 33s have gotten me anywhere I tried to go so far without an issue. A winch is in the future plans, but I haven’t found a spot yet where I needed one.

Dual batteries in a starter/house bank configuration powers the cooler and keeps all my electronics charged at night, and I don’t find myself worried about draining the batteries in the middle of nowhere. A modern fuel injection mill gets me there with relative efficiency, and I built the thing from the ground up, so I’m confident in my ability to make pretty much any trail side repair that can be done.

I still occasionally grab a backpacking tent and get way back in the wilderness, but if a road goes near where I’m headed, you can bet I’ll be sleeping in this thing.

1D335E54-06FF-4E3B-99C2-74F8178B2BB5.jpeg

Spoonbill

WKR
Only bit of advice i would add is take off the rooftop tend and remove the cooler if it is going to be your daily driver unless you use it regularly. It will save some gas for around town driving. Nice rig, should work well for what you intend to use it for.

Titan_Bow

WKR
What’s the difference between an overland of rig and a pickup truck with a rooftop tent on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cal30_sniper

Lil-Rokslider
What’s the difference between an overland of rig and a pickup truck with a rooftop tent on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’d say by standard over landing definition, electrical system upgrades. Most overlanding rigs are running a house battery bank with a deep cycle for extended non-running amperage draw. Many also incorporate solar charging for extended stays without starting the engine to charge.

Think of it as an RV crammed into a pickup chassis sized package.

4787E3E2-44F1-4657-940B-E6A22101A77A.jpeg

Rich M

WKR
31. And while recognizing gas has been more expensive in the past, I’m pointing out, fuel has seen a dramatic uptick in recent months and is currently showing no signs of slowing.
You've got it figured right. effing political crap - gas and energy production was fine.

Folks saying that it's okay for gas to cost say $3.50 cause it used to cost more are twisted in the head. $2 a gallon is about right.

cal30_sniper

Lil-Rokslider
You've got it figured right. effing political crap - gas and energy production was fine.

Folks saying that it's okay for gas to cost say $3.50 cause it used to cost more are twisted in the head. $2 a gallon is about right.
Gas price is gas price. We’re talking hunting/overlanding rigs, not daily drivers. The sum cost difference of a few miles per gallon over the expected use of this kind of vehicle is in the background noise.

Speaking of political though, I find it strange how a year ago the “conservative” right was in an uproar about how cheap gas was and the fact that it was killing workers in the oil industry. Get a President in office from the opposite side of the aisle, gas prices go back up to exactly what they were a year ago before Corona, and all of the sudden it’s the government’s fault. Can’t have it both ways.

MattB

WKR
Gas price is gas price. We’re talking hunting/overlanding rigs, not daily drivers. The sum cost difference of a few miles per gallon over the expected use of this kind of vehicle is in the background noise.

Speaking of political though, I find it strange how a year ago the “conservative” right was in an uproar about how cheap gas was and the fact that it was killing workers in the oil industry. Get a President in office from the opposite side of the aisle, gas prices go back up to exactly what they were a year ago before Corona, and all of the sudden it’s the government’s fault. Can’t have it both ways.
"I am not saying it is your fault, I am blaming you".

Rich M

WKR

I wasn't in no uproar over cheap gas. You gotta watch where you get your news. Ask around and see if real people liked 2 per gallon gas.better than the promised 3 to 4 they say we're gonna hit by summer.

The diff for me in just this year is over $16 per fill up. About 33% increase on a 20 gal tank.

FLAK

WKR

You never heard me (Conservative) complaining about cheap gas, nor will you ever. Just sayin.

ethan

WKR
I have a CVT overland rig mounted to a small, lightweight in closed trailer. Love it for hunts where I will be truck camping with the family or hunting an area where I’ll be coming back to the same spot for camp several days in a row. But if I plan on moving around or it’s cold I’ll use my SO redcliff.

Attachments

• 9B7D4A52-7390-483B-9684-AE4A3FB61FE2.jpeg
    9B7D4A52-7390-483B-9684-AE4A3FB61FE2.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 114

TSAMP

WKR
I have a CVT overland rig mounted to a small, lightweight in closed trailer. Love it for hunts where I will be truck camping with the family or hunting an area where I’ll be coming back to the same spot for camp several days in a row. But if I plan on moving around or it’s cold I’ll use my SO redcliff.
I really wanted to make a joke about how cute that thing is, but the more I look at it I want one.

cal30_sniper

Lil-Rokslider
"I am not saying it is your fault, I am blaming you".
Said every moron blaming Trump for coronavirus. Didn’t make sense then, doesn’t make sense now.

I wasn't in no uproar over cheap gas. You gotta watch where you get your news. Ask around and see if real people liked 2 per gallon gas.better than the promised 3 to 4 they say we're gonna hit by summer.

The diff for me in just this year is over $16 per fill up. About 33% increase on a 20 gal tank.
My comment was specifically in regards to your statement that $2 a gallon gas “is about right”. I’m going to guess you don’t live near or associate with anyone working the oil patch, or you’d surely have an inkling of how bad the drop to that level crippled the American oil industry last spring. Those prices were the lowest we’ve seen since ‘04, had nothing to do with who was in political office, and anyone should have been able to figure out they weren’t going to last.
Average gas price in February 2021 (months after Biden was elected, and after he signed his EOs on oil) was 5 cents a gallon higher than February 2020. About the same as annual inflation.

TSAMP

WKR
Said every moron blaming Trump for coronavirus. Didn’t make sense then, doesn’t make sense now.

My comment was specifically in regards to your statement that $2 a gallon gas “is about right”. I’m going to guess you don’t live near or associate with anyone working the oil patch, or you’d surely have an inkling of how bad the drop to that level crippled the American oil industry last spring. Those prices were the lowest we’ve seen since ‘04, had nothing to do with who was in political office, and anyone should have been able to figure out they weren’t going to last.
Average gas price in February 2021 (months after Biden was elected, and after he signed his EOs on oil) was 5 cents a gallon higher than February 2020. About the same as annual inflation.
I'm thinking this is a separate thread fellas.

Billinsd

WKR

Gas and old prices go up and down all the time. Each party blames the other. However, after Biden stopped the Keystone pipeline and stopped drilling on Federal lands, signaling an attack on the oil industry, the cost of gas has risen. Seems like some are fine with that. I'm not, but it's not the end of the world. Just to be clear most people don't want cheap gas, rather inexpensive gas like me.

Billinsd

WKR
Those prices were the lowest we’ve seen since ‘04, had nothing to do with who was in political office, and anyone should have been able to figure out they weren’t going to last.
Yes, no one really expected those low gas prices to remain indefinitely. However, it's REMARKABLE COINCIDENCE that gas prices have jumped JUST after Biden was elected and wrote executive orders against drilling on fed lands and stopped the Keystone pipeline?