Pack covers?

swat8888

WKR
I also picked up the GoLite poncho tarp, seems like its going to be an awesome piece of gear. I got it because I was tired of my pack straps sucking up tons of water since most pack covers don't cover them. But if you toss a poncho on over everything then you can stay drier....and it doubles as a quick shelter should things get really nasty. If I'm lucky it will also turn into portable shade once I harvest my 40" ram...a man can dream.

Hike&Hunt

FNG
Check with Aron, like all gear questions he has tested these or at minimun has tried a few. I seem to recall him recommending a local guy in colorado on another site a couple of years back. I think they even made a camo cover.

For you guy's using the Timberline 1 packs, what do you use for a rain cover? I'll be getting mine in July, and I would like to go ahead and purchase a rain cover so I have it when the pack arrives. I don't know if it makes much of a difference or not, but I am getting the larger (XTL) hood for mine, so may need a little larger cover.

A garbage bag is not adequate for heavy use. At night, no problem, but not for hiking. In BC, AK there is too much brush and the garbage bags will tear and when it rains, this is where pack cover is necessary as walking through big, wet bush is guaranteed to soak anything. I've had good luck with the OR and the big pack covers sold by Barney's Sports. These are the only ones that will fit 6,500 + cu inch packs. Granite Gear and Sea to Summit make good covers also, but I don't know if they make anything this big.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Sea to Summit and OR have both served me well in the past. I use the Sea to Summit more than anything now.

If you're hunting in Colorado, you can get away with a cheaper REI model, but it won't last as long as higher $ models.

bbrown

WKR
How have the Sea to Summit covers held up? I really like how packable and light they are but the durability is the only negative I have read about.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Personally I don't bother with pack covers. All my clothes and sleeping bag/pad are in dry bags. Other things like phones and what not are in ziplocs and go from there. The Cordura gets a little heavier sure, but the OR cover I used always slipped off anyways in the alders and brush and not worth the hassle of putting it back on and it ripped pretty soon as well.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I like two different styles of pack cover. The first is a cuben fiber cover made by Joe at zpacks. I'm sure he would make custom sizes if asked.

I like the cuben cover because they are truly UL at just over an ounce, though I'm sure durability suffers. This wouldn't be my choice for Alaska, but for surprise storms it is perfect.

The second is an OR cover that has an integrated hood and also covers the shoulders. This cover would keep water from running down your back and soaking the pack through the back panel.

phil

FNG
I'm with Luke on this one. With a pack cover, I still get moisture between my back and pack. My shoulder straps seem to wick the water into my pack. A large ultra light poncho works ok. phil

I agree with RockChucker. The only design that solves the problem of water getting down your back and into the pack is one that includes a hood. Sort of like adding a cowl to the cape that is the pack cover. It covers the whole pack (pack bag, frame, suspension) and also provides you with some protection against the elements if needed. I have thought about taking an existing poncho, cutting off half of the front part and then running a cord around the back half with a toggle to cinch it in place around the pack body.