Pack for Packrafting & Backpack Hunting

Packrafting most of the entire length of the Middle Fork of the Salmon River is a long shot at best, but there is that slight bit of potential. Getting flown in and out of the unit is probably the easiest option and relatively affordable, but maybe not as exciting as taking on the rapids. I'd really love to spend 10 days hunting and then slowly raft and fish my way out if I don't have a tag on anything. It would make for the perfect scouting trip, but complicates the hunting trip a bit.

I'll throw my 2 cents in.
There is no way in hell I would try to float the whole Middle Fork in a packraft, but that's just me. Now planning a trip from specific airstrip to airstrip where some of the sections are a little more tame would be a real possibility.

burgerta

FNG
Luke, Just out of curiosity since it looks like you have basically done some of what I plan to do... The pic in this thread and on the Kifaru site, how many days of gear (food) am I looking at in the pic?

I like the idea of puting the raft under the lid but is there room if your loaded for 8+ days?

Beastmode

WKR
Luke, Just out of curiosity since it looks like you have basically done some of what I plan to do... The pic in this thread and on the Kifaru site, how many days of gear (food) am I looking at in the pic?

I like the idea of puting the raft under the lid but is there room if your loaded for 8+ days?

Read entire thread. Post #13

luke moffat

Super Moderator

Read entire thread. Post #13

HAHA yep :D
Here is a Timberline 1 (rated at 7200 cu in) and the same raft shown above in my normal carry mode for a 5 day trip with my wife. Granted she had the food, PFDs and other bulky items and I opted to leave the spotter home on this trip but you can quickly see how fast a packraft maxes out your pack and I didn't even add an animal into the equation on that trip yet:
IMGP1275.jpg

Which is why if I were you Burgeta I would go for a DT1 over a DT2, you'll end up using the snow collar and extra space for sure!!! The only weight penalty is a few ounces trust me if you are packraft hunting you won't be sad you got such a big packbag. :D

magpie

Banned
Luke,
What shoes/boots are those you're wearing??? I'm a little disappointed with this picture. I always assumed it was like 20 miles back in the steep and deep, but now you're telling me it was a short walk to the creek? booooo ;) ;) ;)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Luke,
What shoes/boots are those you're wearing??? I'm a little disappointed with this picture. I always assumed it was like 20 miles back in the steep and deep, but now you're telling me it was a short walk to the creek? booooo ;) ;) ;)

HAHA...yeah this hike in was only about 13 miles off the road not 20. The shoes are Salomon SpeedCross IIIs....super traction and comfy especially if you add some orange superfeet insoles.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Luke,

The "short walk" was with the raft inflated all hobo style :) It was easier to carry that way for .3 miles from the lake to the river than to deflate/pack up/inflate again....

burgerta

FNG
HaHa, Wow I must be blind...Totally Missed the answer to my question part of the description above the pic...
It would make sense to get a DT1 if it is only a few ounces more, I see your point.
A 7200 bag is huge and you still dont have the raft inside...Im no ultralight weenie but what the heck do you have stuffed in that thing, all the raft gear is on the outside?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I'd have to go over my gear list but off the top of my head, 2 Fishing poles, tent, 2 sleeping bags, 2 pads, game bags, extra clothes, cook set, and a lot more I'll get a complete list PM'd to you later....keep in mind the DT1 inner bag is only 5200 cu in...which is why the new high camp (7000 cu in)is MUCH better for my uses. You fill up that 5200 cu in counting the snow collar, pretty darn quick.

burgerta

FNG
I'd have to go over my gear list but off the top of my head, 2 Fishing poles, tent, 2 sleeping bags, 2 pads, game bags, extra clothes, cook set, and a lot more I'll get a complete list PM'd to you later....keep in mind the DT1 inner bag is only 5200 cu in...which is why the new high camp (7000 cu in)is MUCH better for my uses. You fill up that 5200 cu in counting the snow collar, pretty darn quick.

Ahh yeah 2 of everything gets big fast! Now it makes sense...

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ahh yeah 2 of everything gets big fast! Now it makes sense...

If it helps at all, here is another pic from the same trip.

IMGP1266.jpg

As I recall, I had all the food for the two of us for 5 days, both life jackets, and both pairs of puffy coats/pants, as well as two sets of raingear...Luke was a gentleman and took the heavier stuff, while I carried more of the bulky/lighter gear :)

If it helps at all, here is another pic from the same trip.

IMGP1266.jpg

As I recall, I had all the food for the two of us for 5 days, both life jackets, and both pairs of puffy coats/pants, as well as two sets of raingear...Luke was a gentleman and took the heavier stuff, while I carried more of the bulky/lighter gear :)
on theyre way to the gypsy convention, luke and becca's caravan broke down so they packed all the loot and headed out on foot

OP
Outdoorsman3830

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry for not giving any updates on this thread. I decided on not pack rafting the middle fork. The risk is more than likely too great. It's a big river and I really wouldn't want to get caught in the rapids. Maybe someday if I happen to have extensive experience and feel comfortable rafting it.

Thank you for the advice

DaveC

WKR
The Middle Fork has been packrafted many times. Low October flows are ideal for buttboating. Still class 4, but not pushy at all. If you floated down to Indian Creek and hunted from there, the stretch below that is more moderate and the rapids fewer and easily portaged. Would be a good trip.