Packrafting Question

BowMan86

FNG
I am getting ready for a caribou trip with 3 of my buddies. We are getting dropped off and pack rafting out about 30-40 miles. We want to take my Arctic oven tent which is 100lbs and takes up a good amount of space. Does anyone know how difficult it would be to float with another packraft attached behind yours for just the tent and maybe some gear? It would be more of a gentle class II/Class I river. Thanks!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I am getting ready for a caribou trip with 3 of my buddies. We are getting dropped off and pack rafting out about 30-40 miles. We want to take my Arctic oven tent which is 100lbs and takes up a good amount of space. Does anyone know how difficult it would be to float with another packraft attached behind yours for just the tent and maybe some gear? It would be more of a gentle class II/Class I river. Thanks!
Towing another raft is doable but it sucks. I’ve used my alpacka scout as a tow along. I’d probably pick a different tent rather than bringing a 100lb thing along. Seems like even a big cabelas guide tent is like 30lbs.

OP
BowMan86

BowMan86

FNG
I have other tents I could use, but there is nothing like the Arctic Oven. I may end up having to leave it behind, but was mostly wondering what people’s experience with towing a second packraft was. Did it make it a lot harder to guide for you?

scp

Lil-Rokslider
Concur—it is doable, but it’s not super fun. I routinely tow a smaller raft behind my Alpacka Caribou with weights that run around 75lbs. My trips are only up to 15miles, though. That distance is bearable, and it’s on gentle water. 30-40 miles on CL2 is going to suck. Keep the tow line short.